Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Dog adds more muscle as he relishes new ruck partnership

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs ruckman Tim English has added some more size to his frame over the pre-season as he prepares to partner recruit Stefan Martin in the club's bid for finals success in 2021.

The Dogs searched for a ruck boost in last year's Trade Period after losing their second straight elimination final, adding former Brisbane big man Martin.

He will combine with English, who has continued to bulk up as he works to be a consistent force against the AFL's best ruckmen. The 23-year-old said the pair had already been working together.

"I put on another couple of kilos over the off-season and it's obviously a big focus for me after last season and throughout my career so far [I've wanted] to put on a bit more muscle mass. I’ve put on another couple of kilos which is what everyone wants to hear," English said.

"It's finding a balance between putting on the right sort of weight and being able to play to my strengths on the ground.

“It's quite a hard balance to find and it's going to take me a little while but it's really good we've got Stef in now because he's been helping me with putting in little exercises that will help me in that ruck role."

English didn't train on Wednesday as the Bulldogs hit the track, with the West Australian on a modified program. The Bulldogs have a relatively healthy list a month out from the start of their AAMI Community Series, with former Demon Mitch Hannan among the small group of players on restricted duties as he is managed through his groin concern.

Toby McLean was back running on the sidelines as he recovers from his knee reconstruction, while Taylor Duryea, Josh Bruce, Easton Wood, Aaron Naughton, Tom Liberatore and Cody Weightman were all on lighter duties for the craft and skills session.

Among the Dogs' recruits, a lean Martin was impressive after returning from an injury-hit 2020 with the Lions.

"It's really good for us as a footy club because obviously last season we had myself and Jordon Sweet, who are on the younger side," English said.

"We had Jackson Trengove who played a few seasons in the ruck so he helped in that area but having Stef come across has been really good. I chatted to him over the off-season and he gave me a call and was able to give me a few tips over the off-season. Seeing him in the gym and out on the track and that professionalism he brings it's really going to benefit myself and 'Sweety'."

Prized signing Adam Treloar trained fully, with the ex-Collingwood star combining regularly with Josh Dunkley, who attempted to quit the Dogs for a move to the Bombers during the Trade Period.

English said the Dogs' midfielders would have to battle for the prime position.

"It's hard, you have to draw a raffle ticket I think. But as a team we pride ourselves on being really selfless in those midfield roles," he said.

"We have a lot of players vying for those roles but [we have] that selfless team-oriented mindset and end goal that we want to be the best midfield in the comp and everyone has to play their role in that."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Dog adds more muscle as he relishes new ruck partnership

BAD, perhaps Martin has been reading the forum and is trying to impress you
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes bornadog, jeemak, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    BAD, perhaps Martin has been reading the forum and is trying to impress you
    Hopefully Bruce as well

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not a tall Bulldogs recruit until BAD's fat shamed you!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You're not a tall Bulldogs recruit until BAD's fat shamed you!
    Not true

Nothing wrong with Naughton, Schache, JUH, PE Teacher, English and many more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not true

Nothing wrong with Naughton, Schache, JUH, PE Teacher, English and many more
    I think only Brucey at the start of last and Hannan at the start of this season has been fat shamed at this stage and rightfully so.

For the record Brucey is borderline flying this preaseason.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think only Brucey at the start of last and Hannan at the start of this season has been fat shamed at this stage and rightfully so.

He also fat shamed the Bont.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best preseason ever
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve skinny fat shamed Cordy. You’ll see better rigs in the 2s in the local ammo league.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Was on light duties today hopefully hasn't borderline flown himself into injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’ve skinny fat shamed Cordy. You’ll see better rigs in the 2s in the local ammo league.
    yeah that photo of Buku and Zaine next to eachother at the Hub Pool did zero favors to Zaine.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016