Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
- his one-on-one W/L record (I think champion data only release that selectively)
You can find this stat for every player on the AFL website. A tip for everyone - particularly Danjul - the StatsPro section of the AFL Website has great stats for every player - AFL tables is useful for only very basic information.

Young's career Contested Defence Loss Percentage is 26.8%. As a comparison Cordy is known to be one of the worst regular defenders in the league in this stat and his career average is 29.6% (but a much improved 15.8% in 2020).

Overall just looking at Young's stats he comes off pretty well. Even some of the elite KPDs in the league have career Contested Defence Loss Percentages in the low 20s. Lewis rates elite or above average in some important areas for a KPD - spoils, intercept marks, 1 %s, rebound 50s, intercept possessions. Where he is below the standard is in disposal efficiency and kicking efficiency (deadly for a deep defender), tackles, contested marks and contested possessions.

What these stats tell me is that he has performed well as an intercept defender playing a fairly unaccountable role. However he needs to develop the contested side of his game and tidy up his kicking as we all know when the likes of Cordy of Gardner spray a kick it invariably results in a goal for the opposition. He needs look no further than Alex Keath as an intercept player that has successfully transitioned to a more lock down role.

Also, as has been pointed out many, many times, there are obviously reasons why Young has not been picked more other than what he has displayed on the field at AFL level. I hold out hope he can still become a player for us, however, if he was a lay down misere to make it I have no doubt another club would have come after him in the trade period and I suspect we would have listened to any halfway decent offer.