6 31.58%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

6 31.58%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Lewis Young 2

Thanks for the comments. I post the results next weekend to see how it ended up.

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Reads the ball wonderfully through the air and can play forward. A keeper and we must play him in front of Gardner.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    This post simply proves that stats don't tell the story of a player. If it did, Joel Bowden would be considered 4 times the player Dale Morris was.

Lewis Young struggles one on one, the stats don't reflect that. He's 22 so still has time, but would want to push for more gametime this year. His future is as a backman given the options we now have forward of the ball.

This post simply proves that stats don't tell the story of a player.

....... So no statistic is ever relevant? You have dismissed all aspects of Young’s history.

If it did, Joel Bowden would be considered 4 times the player Dale Morris was.

....... Nobody in the history of football has ever suggested anything like this. Stats show both were champions..

Lewis Young struggles one on one,

...... against everyone? Give examples. And yes, I know some experienced No 1 draft picks have given him a hard time.

the stats don't reflect that.

...... More likely to take a contested mark than Cordy, Gardner and others must weaken the generality of your claim.

He's 22 so still has time,

...... True. A stat used perfectly.

but would want to push for more gametime this year.

..... Again, I am in agreement 100% All Dogs supporters probably want this.

His future is as a backman

..... Always has been the best use of his ability.

given the options we now have forward of the ball.

..... Agreed, good summation of the current circumstances.

..... And, thanks. I appreciate your time.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Reads the ball wonderfully through the air and can play forward. A keeper and we must play him in front of Gardner.
    And the only Bulldog player to equal his club record of 19 marks in his first two games is......

...... Chris Grant.

Was a talent. What have they done to him?

Post Thanks / Like

I want him to be an AFL player, but he just seems to clumsy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    And the only Bulldog player to equal his club record of 19 marks in his first two games is......

...... Chris Grant.

Was a talent. What have they done to him?
    Grant did it forward of the ball, he was a freak and the only player I've seen since that comes close is Aaron Naughton
    Ghosty was behind only Dustin Martin for possessions in his first three games. The eyeball test still matters.

Lewie has a real chance to take a spot in the side, he just needs to take it because Cordy has question marks on his ability as a no 2 backman and Gardner has a million question marks in general.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of his first few games I haven’t seen anything overly impressive. A lot of players can have a strong start to a career and then drop away when they start to pick up attention. I’m reading between the lines but I thought toward the end of his first year he looked like he didn’t want the ball. I always got the feeling he was in his own head too much.

Would love him to break those shackles (if they exist) and get a good run at. In my view we commit to him as a player or cut him loose.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Outside of his first few games I haven’t seen anything overly impressive. A lot of players can have a strong start to a career and then drop away when they start to pick up attention. I’m reading between the lines but I thought toward the end of his first year he looked like he didn’t want the ball. I always got the feeling he was in his own head too much.

Would love him to break those shackles (if they exist) and get a good run at. In my view we commit to him as a player or cut him loose.
    He only played 7 games in his first year. And apart from the last they were excellent for an 18?? year old.

The previous week he had 7 one percenters, equal to Dale Morris. They also had the same number of possessions and marks ! Nobody questioned Morris’ endeavour.

In the game against GWS in round 22 in 2019, his first game back after being dropped for 20, he took 7 marks. That was the most for the whole team. His 17 possessions was more than double Cordy’s 7 and just behind Dureya’s 19, two popular backmen on Woof .

unfortunately he had less marks the following week, only 5. The same as Naughton. And Naughton had nearly as many disposals, 9 compared to Young’s 14.

He’s only had 2 games since then.

Your comments highlight the fact that everyone holds Young to an impossible standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    He only played 7 games in his first year. And apart from the last they were excellent for an 18?? year old.

The previous week he had 7 one percenters, equal to Dale Morris. They also had the same number of possessions and marks ! Nobody questioned Morris’ endeavour.

In the game against GWS in round 22 in 2019, his first game back after being dropped for 20, he took 7 marks. That was the most for the whole team. His 17 possessions was more than double Cordy’s 7 and just behind Dureya’s 19, two popular backmen on Woof .

unfortunately he had less marks the following week, only 5. The same as Naughton. And Naughton had nearly as many disposals, 9 compared to Young’s 14.

He’s only had 2 games since then.

Your comments highlight the fact that everyone holds Young to an impossible standard.
    Young needs to be given his chances especially if he is earning them, we can't keep hiding behind the "he's a young player" any longer
    We've been guilty too often of bringing a player into the team, giving him a chance to impress and then having them fall back in the pecking order. Greene and Lynch came in and played and showed some promise before not really being given a game in their last 2 years. Schache signs an extension and almost immediately becomes a 'only break glass in the case of an emergency' option for us and unless Young starts to command a regular spot you would have to be concerned if he will still be at the club in 2022.

I know it's hard to get all the players into the best 22 but we need to have a plan that keeps developing players like Young

He needs to earn it but I hope we are finished with gifting under performing players like Bruce spots in the senior side unless they are earned as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

One way I've rationalised Young's 'fall' is that he was given a debut based on his potential, and told to go out and have fun. He did, and he played well.

Then as he played more games and was in our system for longer he was expected to hold his spot in the defensive zone, nullify more one-on-one contests to slow down the opposition, and focus more on stopping his opponent than getting possessions.

I think the most accurate stats for how effective he was in his role would be:
    - his one-on-one W/L record (I think champion data only release that selectively)
    - his opponents scoring/direct impact on the game
    - the whole team defense - number of inside 50s conceded, percentage of inside 50s that resulted in scores

I don't think marks and possessions are how a KPD would be judged internally, and I assume his poor performance in the areas above (as well as training, strength, fitness) are what has limited his opportunities. The fact he was reinvented as a forward is a bit of an indictment on his ability to stick to defensive structures IMO, and the MC hoping that they can utilise his clear talent in another area.

So my checklist for Lewis would be small, but with plenty of challenges for him:
    - get fitter
    - get stronger/improve bodywork in 1v1 situations
    - learn the structures and stick to them

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a place nowadays, with the focus on intensity, for the more laconic characters like Schache and Young? Clubs seem to put such a high value in intensity as a commodity it has the potential to cause intensity based segregation. You only have to look as far as the omnipresent plaudits for Bailey Smith and his obsessive work ethic to see what clubs covet nowadays.
    Guess it opens a bigger more macro view / question of recruiting and testing as well.
    Hard to develop it if they don't have it, but maybe that's where clubs need to improve. Bridge the gap between Schache and Smith otherwise we will lose talent like Josh more regularly.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is there a place nowadays, with the focus on intensity, for the more laconic characters like Schache and Young? Clubs seem to put such a high value in intensity as a commodity it has the potential to cause intensity based segregation. You only have to look as far as the omnipresent plaudits for Bailey Smith and his obsessive work ethic to see what clubs covet nowadays.
    Guess it opens a bigger more macro view / question of recruiting and testing as well.
    Hard to develop it if they don't have it, but maybe that's where clubs need to improve. Bridge the gap between Schache and Smith otherwise we will lose talent like Josh more regularly.
    Great question, I've tended to always appreciated the more intense players than the laconic ones but for some reason Young does not appear to be laconic to me. Schache might be the poster boy for laconic players but after signing him for 2 more years and recruiting of Bruce he's been pushed down the order. If he isn't reading the signs now he will really struggle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Great question, I've tended to always appreciated the more intense players than the laconic ones but for some reason Young does not appear to be laconic to me. Schache might be the poster boy for laconic players but after signing him for 2 more years and recruiting of Bruce he's been pushed down the order. If he isn't reading the signs now he will really struggle.
    I guess the Tigers have set the mould haven't they with their intensity above all else game style. Guys like Castagna don't have half the talent of Schache but are 3 x premiership players.
    To keep it on thread Young's struggles with his weight last season early had me thinking he was not in the "Smith" club of intensity, but having said that no one really is. Not everyone is wired like our Bailey.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 28-01-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I guess the Tigers have set the mould haven't they with their intensity above all else game style. Guys like Castagna don't have half the talent of Scache but are 3 x premiership players.
    To keep it on thread Young's struggles with his weight last season early had me thinking he was not in the "Smith" club of intensity, but having said that no one really is. Not everyone is wired like our Bailey.
    You would hope Young looks at how Bailey Williams turned things around and established himself as a senior footballer as a motivator for the 2021 season

18. Likes Grantysghost, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You would hope Young looks at how Bailey Williams turned things around and established himself as a senior footballer as a motivator for the 2021 season
    I remember talking to Williams a few years ago and he was really worried about getting a regular game. He said there were too many players vying for the same role. I said to him he has to focus on his game, play well and an opportunity will arise.

Young has a great opportunity to cement himself in the backline as not many are putting their hand up.

My concern is, is he good enough?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.