Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

“this is now the best midfield in the competition”: Dal santo

link

No team in the AFL has a better midfield than the Western Bulldogs heading into the 2021 season, according to Nick Dal Santo.

The Bulldogs added to their star-studded midfield mix by securing the signature of Adam Treloar in a blockbuster trade from Collingwood during last year’s trade period.

Given their embarrassment of riches through the midfield, Dal Santo says the Dogs should run opposition clubs off their feet throughout the upcoming campaign.

“I think this is now the best midfield in the competition,” he told SEN Summer Breakfast.

“(Adam) Treloar, (Marcus) Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, (Lachie) Hunter, (Bailey) Smith, (Josh) Dunkley and ‘Libba’ (Tom Liberatore).

“Obviously only three of four go through at a time and you throw in a couple of wingers, but you tell me a better midfield than that.

“I look at that midfield – exploit the opposition, use your strengths as much as you can, and you make the opposition adjust to you.

“You would love to be able to sit here in nine or 10 months’ time and say our midfield was dominated – we exposed the opposition for their inability to run with us for four quarters.”

The Bulldogs also bolstered their ruck stocks with Brisbane veteran Stefan Martin joining the club to support emerging big man Tim English.

“They’ve also brought in another ruckman in Stef Martin,” Dan Santo said.

“Tim English made some really good steps forward last year. I think his craft as a ruckman was superb.

“You’ve now got the ability to exploit the opposition. You look at Paddy Ryder and Rowan Marshall and the way they were able to work together and they were the team that beat the Bulldogs last year in the finals. They were able to work together and make it look seamless.

“You would love to sit here in 10 months’ time and say we’ve got a great duo, a great combination in the ruck.”

Martin, 34, joined the Dogs on a one-year deal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: “this is now the best midfield in the competition”: Dal santo

Dal Santo was an idiot until I read this.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Dal Santo was an idiot until I read this.
    He's very one dimensional and a poor commentator from my perspective.

Trade period every year
    "I think the Hawks are up to something"

I listened to his recent analysis of Treloar coming to us and why Collingwood would trade him
    "I think we will find out that Collingwood were up to something when they let Treloar go and they will sign someone else in the trade period"

He adds nothing and your initial reference is spot on
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It will only be the best midfield in the competition if it shows up unconditionally week to week and runs both ways.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's very one dimensional and a poor commentator from my perspective.

Trade period every year
    "I think the Hawks are up to something"

I listened to his recent analysis of Treloar coming to us and why Collingwood would trade him
    "I think we will find out that Collingwood were up to something when they let Treloar go and they will sign someone else in the trade period"

He adds nothing and your initial reference is spot on
    I’m just waiting around for Danjul to see the description of English’s ruck craft as “superb”.

6. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It will only be the best midfield in the competition if it shows up unconditionally week to week and runs both ways.
    Agree - I think the headline should be Potential Best. Let's face it, we haven't been in a position like this for a very long time.

The Grandfinal year, we rotated something like 9 players through the centre at times to compensate, plus the third man up helped us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's clearly the best midfield on paper. It's hard to believe we have somehow picked up Treloar and the number 1 pick the year after playing finals.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this really a thing? I mean we have two AA in there and Libba...
    Not sure we are any different to others in this respect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is this really a thing? I mean we have two AA in there and Libba...
    Not sure we are any different to others in this respect.
    When we look our worst I think a lot of it has to do with how switched on our midfield is, their intent to tackle and position defencively and it seems to happen a bit.

You're probably right though, all midfields have lapses but I guess the truly elite ones have fewer of them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

When we look our worst I think a lot of it has to do with how switched on our midfield is, their intent to tackle and position defencively and it seems to happen a bit.

You're probably right though, all midfields have lapses but I guess the truly elite ones have fewer of them.
    I'm with you I see the same things but I wonder more broadly if we as supporters are hyper vigilant or critical. We do have an amazing midfield

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always said our mids are better on paper than on field. Too one dimensional, and very lacklustre in a defensive form. Will Treloar change this? Who knows...soon find out, but I wouldn’t say we had the best...yet.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

14. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they give out flags for the best midfield?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's better than the worst midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’ve always said our mids are better on paper than on field. Too one dimensional, and very lacklustre in a defensive form. Will Treloar change this? Who knows...soon find out, but I wouldn’t say we had the best...yet.
    I'm not sure I agree with you. My biggest gripe is foot skills. Jack, Lachie, Dunks are average kicks. Libba changes this. When he's in the mix you have Bont, Smith, Libba with sublime foot skills. Do they track back? How many A grade mids track back? Seriously it's not a thing. Let's celebrate what we have.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We also won trade period, so... there’s gotta be a trophy for that quinella?!