Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “this is now the best midfield in the competition”: Dal santo

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Y’all acting like Bev is some sort of normal coach and won’t have Treloar and Dunks coming off half back.
    I see a lot to like about Treloar spending time at half back as a runner/kicker.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I agree with this. We have to find the right balance.

Having the best midfield players can mean you can really get ahold of the weaker sides, but against the best sides we will need to get the balance spot on. I actually think Dunkley can play a key role here and be used not necessarily as a tagger, but as a more defensively minded mid some weeks, either he or Libba depending on the opposition.
    Bevo playing Dunks as a stopper for much of the season would be an interesting wrinkle in the unresolved 'trade-me' tale ...

Digressing, I'd add Jongy and his all-gas-no-brakes approach. Our mids are best in show when it's on their terms but we need to find alternate gears and looks for the inevitable phases when it isn't.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Bevo playing Dunks as a stopper for much of the season would be an interesting wrinkle in the unresolved 'trade-me' tale ...

Digressing, I'd add Jongy and his all-gas-no-brakes approach. Our mids are best in show when it's on their terms but we need to find alternate gears and looks for the inevitable phases when it isn't.
    Yes Jongy is a great option for a stopper. Have we tried it before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I see a lot to like about Treloar spending time at half back as a runner/kicker.
    Who makes way for him? JJ/Duryea/Crozier/Daniel/Wood/Williams?

Post Thanks / Like

Who makes way for him? JJ/Duryea/Crozier/Daniel/Wood/Williams?
    There are spots in the back 7 available:

Locks: Duryea, Williams, Daniel, Keath.

That's it for me. JJ spends more and more time forward, Crozier's back end of the year was average at best, Wood played 1x good game all season...etc. Yes, the '7' needs another tall (Gardner? Young?) but also needs 2x runners. I think the Treloar to HB option makes more sense than the Treloar to outside mid option...I think he will play mostly inside but half back is certainly a viable option for 1-2 stints per half which also creates some mid time for the log-jam of inside mids we now have.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Jongy is a great option for a stopper. Have we tried it before?
    Given his luck with injury, not sure we've tried anything long enough with Jongy for it to constitute a pattern, he showed some handy signs last season though.

Not so much in a negating role necessarily but as someone who can step in and help alter the complexion of midfield battles, give opponents something to think about, and give us more than one club in the bag so to speak.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

That's it for me. JJ spends more and more time forward, Crozier's back end of the year was average at best, Wood played 1x good game all season...etc. Yes, the '7' needs another tall (Gardner? Young?) but also needs 2x runners. I think the Treloar to HB option makes more sense than the Treloar to outside mid option...I think he will play mostly inside but half back is certainly a viable option for 1-2 stints per half which also creates some mid time for the log-jam of inside mids we now have.
    We also saw how much our rebound was stifled when Daniel was sat on. Not the worst suggestion ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bevo needs to coach for 2021, and not think about what may make Dunks stay or go.

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say it is very likely to happen based on little things slipping out from training/press conferences and the skillset that Treloar brings. I don’t really see an alternate role for him outside the centre square and he needs one.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on! Look amazing - AMAZING - when we’re skiing down hill, when the going gets tough we need to learn to neutralise, stem the bleeding and turn around momentum.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least he still played, unlike Duryea.

I get the Duryea inclusion he can actually defend but he does go to ground too easy. He's a solid player but I want more. Crozier's timing was off badly at the back end of last year but going on past performances for the club Crozier's 2019 was dynamite. Plus he has Duryea covered in the air. Backing him in over Duryea to recapture that form and lock in a spot.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crozier's form dropped off when he was moved forward for a few games.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think you're right, though he was also pretty ordinary at times prior to and after that. His timing seemed to be out of whack and his high and long kicking counterproductive.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yep, Coming back off a couple of injury challenges and then moved forward with little reward. Ideally we need to have him off half back where he plays his best football for the team.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Crozier was moved forward because it was the only way to try and keep him in the side. He was playing poor footy for quite a bit of season 2020 and we had better options at the time. It may be his best spot but coaches will do what’s best for the team.