Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “this is now the best midfield in the competition”: Dal santo

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I’m just waiting around for Danjul to see the description of English’s ruck craft as “superb”.
    And Danjul and others should challenge Dal's comments.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you. My biggest gripe is foot skills. Jack, Lachie, Dunks are average kicks. Libba changes this. When he's in the mix you have Bont, Smith, Libba with sublime foot skills. Do they track back? How many A grade mids track back? Seriously it's not a thing. Let's celebrate what we have.
    So is it a mindset of the mids, when they are expected to slaughter the mids of Carlton, GC and NM, but more often than not get beaten by the lesser types ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe we have the potential to have a dominant midfield.

It is the responsibility of the coaching group to devise a game plan to exploit our advantages and the responsibility of the playing group to bring it on game day and execute the plans.

If we do that we should be right in it at the pointy end.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

How many goals do we get out of those midfielders?!
    Vs say the Tigers

Post Thanks / Like

Go Doggies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And Danjul and others should challenge Dal's comments.
    It's not just that.

I still maintain the best midfields have BALANCE. The Lions had the fab 4 in Black, Voss, Lappin and Aker...but Hart was there as well playing a key role on the best opposition mid.

I think these discussions of the 'best midfield' are very focussed on ball-in-hand actions and not thinking about how to structure the side to win games of footy.

To me, we have too many inside mids, not enough outside mids and not enough small forwards (as in, we have none) to be a threat right now. It does sound cool to say we have 3x All-Aust (Bont, Macrae, Treloar) plus the best young mid in the comp (Smith) plus Dunks, Liber, Hunter etc but I wish we had some games so we could see them actually play together.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've only got two AAs in Bont and Jacko.

Agree with the rest of the post.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's not just that.

I still maintain the best midfields have BALANCE. The Lions had the fab 4 in Black, Voss, Lappin and Aker...but Hart was there as well playing a key role on the best opposition mid.

I think these discussions of the 'best midfield' are very focussed on ball-in-hand actions and not thinking about how to structure the side to win games of footy.

To me, we have too many inside mids, not enough outside mids and not enough small forwards (as in, we have none) to be a threat right now. It does sound cool to say we have 3x All-Aust (Bont, Macrae, Treloar) plus the best young mid in the comp (Smith) plus Dunks, Liber, Hunter etc but I wish we had some games so we could see them actually play together.
    Tend to agree but with Treloar we do have a bit more hurt factor than before. We will potentially need a couple of the players to modify their natural games though
    I don't really care for the best midfield title as in reality we just need to be more effective and versatile than last year
    If Smith improves and Treloar can somehow lift his game with the extra incentive to stick it up Collingwood plus having Martin assisting English we should have one of the better midfield's in the competition. Defending and scoring are more of the challenges for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We've only got two AAs in Bont and Jacko.

Agree with the rest of the post.
    Apologies - I had thought Treloar was AA in 2015 (his final year with GWS). Apparently not! :-)
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies - I had thought Treloar was AA in 2015 (his final year with GWS). Apparently not! :-)
    He was in the AA squad
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think our midfield most times are trying to read a losing ruck. If Timmy can square the ledger we may see more flair from the mids if they can go on the attack.
    Martin may give some of that edge although I'm not expecting too much but if he can give us a similar thing to Rider this year it will go a fair way.
    Timmy will grow into his role as time goes on but I would like to see Sweet carve out a spot because he looks a bigger and stronger unit to potentially take that number one rick role and let Timmy be a more mobile support.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't until I checked his Wiki page after we recruited him that I did a double take and checked it out, as I'd assumed he'd made one final side.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was in the AA squad
    Yes, made the squad in 2019, 2017 and 2016.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just that.

I agree with this. We have to find the right balance.

Having the best midfield players can mean you can really get ahold of the weaker sides, but against the best sides we will need to get the balance spot on. I actually think Dunkley can play a key role here and be used not necessarily as a tagger, but as a more defensively minded mid some weeks, either he or Libba depending on the opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I agree with this. We have to find the right balance.

Having the best midfield players can mean you can really get ahold of the weaker sides, but against the best sides we will need to get the balance spot on. I actually think Dunkley can play a key role here and be used not necessarily as a tagger, but as a more defensively minded mid some weeks, either he or Libba depending on the opposition.
    I lik that role for Dunkley, but given the narrative around his trade request was about being the alpha dog in the midfield, do you think he'd relish more of a defensive role? Beats rucking, I guess!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Y’all acting like Bev is some sort of normal coach and won’t have Treloar and Dunks coming off half back.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post