Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  207
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW - Game Day discussion - Season 2021

3 qtr time and the margin stays the same. Fatigue set in that quarter for both sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide just going on with it, just too good for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

56 point loss. Probably our biggest loss in the comp. Finals are out so it's all about finishing on a high against the Tigers next friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the Crows are a class above. Good learning curve for the girls.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Friday, March 26
    Western Bulldogs v Richmond at VU Whitten Oval, 5.10pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: N.Ferres 16 E.Gamble 14
    HB: A.Guest 19 K.Lynch 10 E.Brown 9
    C: S.Hartwig 15 E.Blackburn - C 2 B.Lochland 1
    HF: G.Newton 5 I.Huntington 4 K.McLeod 6
    F: B.Toogood 8 G.Lagioia 12
    Foll: C.Moody 13 E.Georgostathis 17 K.Lamb 27
    I/C: B.Gutknecht 18 N.Morris-Dalton 25 K.Rennie 24

Emerg: B.Hunt 21 A.Van Oosterwijck 28

In: K.Rennie
    Out: H.Scott (ankle)

RICHMOND

B: R.Miller 15 H.Cordner 23
    HB: S.D'Arcy 12 S.Sansonetti 18 I.Ross 21
    C: H.Burchell 9 S.Hosking 7 K.Dempsey 19
    HF: M.Brancatisano 5 C.Bernardi 6 E.McKenzie 22
    F: T.Stahl 24 S.Frederick 14
    Foll: G.Seymour 28 K.Brennan - C 3 M.Conti 4
    I/C: L.McClelland 16 S.Dargan 17 S.Molan 1 K.Jacques 10 C.Wakefield 8

Emerg: A.Makur Chuot 34 H.McLaren 29

In: S.Sansonetti, S.Dargan
    Out: A.Makur Chuot (omitted), T.Lavey (managed)

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs finish the season on a high with a 45-32 victory.
    Brown had a great tussle with Brennan. Blackburn, Lamb & Lochland did well. Hartwig, Georgostathis on Conti and Morris-Dalton showed great signs for the future.
    Love the unbridled joy after the wins. And i never tire of seeing the old western oval on tv.
    Go dogs!

8. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A solid season from the girls. I think we have finished above standard, with our 5-4 record including important wins over Melbourne and Carlton. We didn't get to play West Coast or Gold Coast who are in the 'lower echelon' and would have been games we went in to with a lot of confidence.

Most Improved
    Eleanor Brown. I didn't expect this after watching her last year. She demonstrated an ability to read the play, win 1v1s on the ground and in the air, and use her foot skills to initiate attacks from defence. A huge part of our defensive unit, and will only get better. She was our first pick (#10) at the 2018 draft and is 21 years old - plenty of strong years to come!

Best first year player
    Genuine toss-up between our first two picks from last year, Jess Fitzgerald and Sarah Hartwig. Fitzy had a fantastic year as a high-half-forward/rotating midfielder. She showed great skill and amazing strength over the contest. She kicked some amazing goals - hopefully she can build her endurance and be a more consistent presence through the midfield in coming seasons.
    Twiggy showed great dash off half-back. She was clean, has a fantastic long kick and loves to go for a run around her opponents. Occasionally almost TOO daring, trying to run and take on opponents when there are other simpler options - but the ability to pick and choose when to go will develop with time.
    I'd give the award to Fitzy.

Best win
    vs Carlton, round 2. A 6 point win which got us going on a 4 game winning streak. Huge game from Ellie Blackburn with 22 touches and 2 goals, and a massive effort from our defence to stand up to a final quarter onslaught from the Blues. Katie Lynch and Elysse Gamble showed what a great partnership they were starting to form.

Not only did this start the 4 match winning streak, but it also started our undefeated run at Whitten Oval for the season. It was a great game to watch with a fantastic atmosphere at the ground.

Best and Fairest
    After 3 games you would have thought Ellie Blackburn would walk it in, but I tip Kirsty Lamb to give it a real shake.
    My suspected top 5 will be:
    Blackburn
    Lamb
    Huntington
    Fitzgerald
    Brown

List Changes (I have no idea what contract statuses are)
    I suspect retirement (or trade if a developing side want her) beckons for 35yo Lauren Spark. She only played one game in the seniors and then suffered a season ending ankle injury in the VFLW. Premiership player and key member of our side since inception.

I'm not sure if Angelica Gogos gets another year either. She's 31, a small defender who is undoubtedly a good leader but is starting to get found out for her skill level as the comp improves.

Beyond that, I don't believe Amelia van Oosterwijck (20yo) or Anabelle Strahan played games this year which suggests they may be in trouble. Katy Herron also didn't play as she was back in Ireland - not sure what her plans are for 2022.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    A solid season from the girls. I think we have finished above standard, with our 5-4 record including important wins over Melbourne and Carlton. We didn't get to play West Coast or Gold Coast who are in the 'lower echelon' and would have been games we went in to with a lot of confidence.

Most Improved
    Eleanor Brown. I didn't expect this after watching her last year. She demonstrated an ability to read the play, win 1v1s on the ground and in the air, and use her foot skills to initiate attacks from defence. A huge part of our defensive unit, and will only get better. She was our first pick (#10) at the 2018 draft and is 21 years old - plenty of strong years to come!

Best first year player
    Genuine toss-up between our first two picks from last year, Jess Fitzgerald and Sarah Hartwig. Fitzy had a fantastic year as a high-half-forward/rotating midfielder. She showed great skill and amazing strength over the contest. She kicked some amazing goals - hopefully she can build her endurance and be a more consistent presence through the midfield in coming seasons.
    Twiggy showed great dash off half-back. She was clean, has a fantastic long kick and loves to go for a run around her opponents. Occasionally almost TOO daring, trying to run and take on opponents when there are other simpler options - but the ability to pick and choose when to go will develop with time.
    I'd give the award to Fitzy.

Best win
    vs Carlton, round 2. A 6 point win which got us going on a 4 game winning streak. Huge game from Ellie Blackburn with 22 touches and 2 goals, and a massive effort from our defence to stand up to a final quarter onslaught from the Blues. Katie Lynch and Elysse Gamble showed what a great partnership they were starting to form.

Not only did this start the 4 match winning streak, but it also started our undefeated run at Whitten Oval for the season. It was a great game to watch with a fantastic atmosphere at the ground.

Best and Fairest
    After 3 games you would have thought Ellie Blackburn would walk it in, but I tip Kirsty Lamb to give it a real shake.
    My suspected top 5 will be:
    Blackburn
    Lamb
    Huntington
    Fitzgerald
    Brown

List Changes (I have no idea what contract statuses are)
    I suspect retirement (or trade if a developing side want her) beckons for 35yo Lauren Spark. She only played one game in the seniors and then suffered a season ending ankle injury in the VFLW. Premiership player and key member of our side since inception.

I'm not sure if Angelica Gogos gets another year either. She's 31, a small defender who is undoubtedly a good leader but is starting to get found out for her skill level as the comp improves.

Beyond that, I don't believe Amelia van Oosterwijck (20yo) or Anabelle Strahan played games this year which suggests they may be in trouble. Katy Herron also didn't play as she was back in Ireland - not sure what her plans are for 2022.
    Excellent post. My only disagreement would be that I suspect that Lochland will be top 5 in the BnF rather than Fitzgerald.

She wasn't always clean with her ball handling and disposal, but Lochland was a clear third in total disposals and Burke has praised her work on the wing. Fitzgerald's output faded in the last few games.

11. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am loving that there is a growing depth of support and knowledge of our AFLW players, demonstrated by jazzadogs post.
    I'm hopefully fortunate that I'm going to live long enough to see the women's game continue to evolve into the preeminent women's professional sport in this country.

13. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great atmosphere at game. Perfect weather too. That last goal by us was a beauty. Pretty good season and something for this young side to build on. Lamb so gutsy. So impressed by Brown. Become one of my faves. Quality has improved out of sight, amazing considering it is only semi professional & such a short season (presume most players would hold down jobs or still be studying).

15. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good finish to the season.

The Daughters showed in one decent stretch, and in patches across the rest of the season that there is Premiership quality re-emerging in the squad. Credit to the coaching panel for getting a young side playing some pretty mature, high intensity footy for longer than you might anticipate from younger players.

Gee they were fierce. Robust. A real Footscray team.

E Brown and B Toogood were terrific this season. Huge strides forward.
    Lamb and Ellie for BnF flip a coin.
    Lynch and Izzy the bookends.

17. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Lamb and Ellie for BnF flip a coin.
    Izzy easily BnF for me. Playing in a completely new position and led the competition (well, at last check) for contested marks...what more can you actually do? The development in her game as the season went by to push up to the wings to provide an outlet then work to get back...terrific player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how the B & F goes. I like Brown who took her game to another level.

20. Likes josie, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Ellie Blackburn, equal third in the AFLW best and fairest with 14 votes. Only 1 vote off sharing the award with Kiara Bowers and Brianna Davey.

AFLW BEST AND FAIREST FINAL LEADERBOARD
    =1. Kiara Bowers (Fremantle) 15
    =1. Brianna Davey (Collingwood) 15
    =3. Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs) 14
    =3. Alyce Parker (GWS) 14
    =5. Anne Hatchard (Adelaide) 13
    =5. Karen Paxman (Melbourne) 13
    =7. Brittany Bonnici (Collingwood) 12
    =7. Monique Conti (Richmond) 12
    9. Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide) 11
    =10. Maddy Prespakis (Carlton) 10 (ineligible)
    =10. Ash Riddell (North Melbourne) 10

AFLW B&F: Your club's leader, every vote from every game

22. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't watch enough AFLW to comment, but was Huntington stiff to miss out?