Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  207
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW - Game Day discussion - Season 2021

Izzy and Bonny's games and goal kicking was superb. A young side with plenty of improvement still to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I was at the game today, 1.)Ah the Whitten Oval what nostalgia walking in to that wonderful arena, 2.)The standard has improved out of sight, some ripping passages of play and sharp shooting around goal.
    Huntington is absolutely imposing, one of the best talents weve had at the club I'd say. Real match winner. All the girls were great today.
    It's just such a great atmosphere.
    Sat on the outer flank. We were right behind Toogood when she turned her opponent inside out on the boundary and kicked the running goal. Superb.
    The goalkicking has been wonderful the last couple of weeks. And in this competition that's going to be a big advantage.

3. Likes Grantysghost, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a particular passage of play in the last with Fitzgerald on the Hawkins wing where she evaded a couple and kicked to McLeod but the mark wasn’t paid. If anyone can capture that piece of play on video, we’d be looking at a potential Brownlow medalist (or the AFLW equivalent). She is worth going to watch a game live #23

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    There was a particular passage of play in the last with Fitzgerald on the Hawkins wing where she evaded a couple and kicked to McLeod but the mark wasn’t paid. If anyone can capture that piece of play on video, we’d be looking at a potential Brownlow medalist (or the AFLW equivalent). She is worth going to watch a game live #23
    That was sublime skill.

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great game, although with the bitterness of Berry presumably doing her ACL.

GWS aren't bad, and we beat them at their foundation of pressure (both with contested possessions and tackles, with a bit of perceived pressure then coming into it as well).

As The Underdog noted in a text to me, it's getting harder not to become a Burke believer. We're still very young (I was shocked that Berry's only 22, seemed like she'd been around forever, and she kicked a vital goal in the 2018 GF). Our ball movement continues to improve and complement our generally maniacal pressure - you can see various parts of the game-plan slowly come to fruition. The hand-balling is getting better (although still lots of room for improvement), and our ball use by foot has become much more efficient. We transitioned beautifully out of defense a few times today, and some of the final passes into the 50 were superb.

Plus the team continues to generally structure up really well - from being able get out the back a few times, to stopping them doing the same.

Of course, it all remains a work in progress. A few of the short passes (and initial handpasses) were awful, but there were enough times where it really worked and became clear what we're trying to do, which is to play attacking, clever but measured football, with a fair bit of flair to it as well.

One of the things that was clear is that we're obviously looking to bring it inboard with the 45 kick into the middle after we exit the defensive 50 to an outlet on either wing. Then once we have it in the middle, we run it (and kick it) straight down their throat.

And if anyone has thought of being able to get to a game but hasn't done so yet, it's a fantastic experience. I'm one of those who wishes the season was longer, and actually as is probably obvious, I'm enjoying the AFLW comp more than the AFLM comp at the moment (though I still passionate support the Dogs in both formats).

To some players:

Georgostathis was vital early on. Has that Libba like ability to make tackle after tackle, and to equalise contests when the opposition seems about to burst away. Courageous like so many of the players (she got a bit banged up in this game), and also has deceptive speed. Fortunately didn't try to bounce the ball in this game, but I think she's been working a fair bit on her kicking, and this week (as well as even more last week), she's shown she can hit targets with flatter, speedier delivery. Never going to be that deep a kick (and had no chance at the end of the 3rd quarter after the siren into what was a deceptively strong breeze).

Lochland had her best game of the last few seasons I think (in a bit of a disagreement with an earlier poster). Might have lost her top-end speed, though she still seems to be getting her legs under her a bit more. I do agree that she often wasn't clean enough, but she made so many contests, had great pressure, showed good vision with the ball, and presented really well as one of those outlets. It was clear at the game that she and Marshall (among others), were doing really important running that at times wasn't rewarded.

Fitzgerald is just a Rolls Royce, like a young Chris Grant and Bont obviously were. Hawkins might be an even more apt comparison (though of course she's just at the start, so comparisons are made in hope). She didn't impact this game a heap, but the skills and flair is glorious. The look away handpass over her head - that went just where it needed to go - was so seamless it's hard even on the replay to see how good it was. The fake out of her opponent on the wing in the last that someone else noted, where she went to kick, and then calmly bounced her way passed them. Her tap of the ball past two players to not only get possession, but break into space away from both of them was a bit reminiscent of what she did against Geelong. And she's one of those who quietly racks up a decent amount of tackles.

Guesty is in career best form I think. I've watched her play, on and off, for more than a decade now. She joined the Spurs (where my partner played at a lower level) in the same year that she started uni (where she just happened to take a class that I taught). She's always had a great left foot with a raking kick, but this is the first year at AFLW level that I've seen her start to consistently use that as a weapon. Perhaps it's due to the move from the midfield to back flank, where she organises the other defenders really well, and is playing something of the late career Luke Hodge role of reading the play and inserting herself at the right moment. I'm not saying she's as good as him of course, but her ability to come off her player to disrupt opposition sorties forward is excellent. And her goal-saving tackle at the end of the first quarter was great.

Ferres (another former Spur who practiced with the 2nds for her first week at that club before tearing it up in an intraclub encounter and never leaving the firsts), also had another cracker of a game. At times you can still see why she was undrafted, and when you're not at the game, you don't notice her as much. But she's also so good at inserting herself into the play with sheer determination, while giving repeat effort after repeat effort in the contest. Also is very good at playing within herself (like a later career Matty Boyd, she gets the ball off cleanly to someone in a better position without trying to make the more difficult kicks that are beyond her).

Lamb was a little quiet to start this season, but as well as getting back to her bullocking best in the contest, I really like how she's starting to spread when we win the ball, and was a key target for our defenders when they brought the ball back inside.

Newton is interesting. Decent in contests, with good hands, and generally good at hitting people by foot (with a horror exception when she kicked it to Staunton). She's got the body of a key-position player, and I still feel like she's only scratching the surface of what she will be able to do. At times she shows flashes of someone who will just be able to impose herself on contests and rip the ball out in the way that those big-bodied AFLM midfielders can.

Good to see Hunt back, while Brown, Gamble, and Lynch continue to work really well together - Brown was probably the best of them, although she had a few dodgy kicks. One thing that this defensive trio do really well is recover quickly from marking contests. Their ability to quickly put in second efforts once the ball comes to ground is impressive, and Brown especially, has started showing the ability to become a weapon (as well as sometimes a liability!) when she gets the ball in the back half.

Probably some other things to add at some point, but this is getting long enough. I did like the point that Dixon made in commentary (when watching the replay), that our forwards are generally good at not flying against each other. A couple of times players clearly withdrew from contests when the leading forward called 'mine!'.

I actually thought that the tv commentary was better this time. They were effusive about the Dogs of course, but showed themselves a bit more capable of criticism of both individual players, and the way GWS ended up trying to play the game. And while I also want commentators to be able to be more critical, I still generally greatly prefer the play-by-play callers of AFLW to BT, Brayshaw, Bruce, Eddie and almost all of the AFLM callers who consistently drive me crazy (to the point of often just turning the volume off...).

Oh, and next week against the Pies (at Vic Park) is going to be huge.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Great summary Raw Toast. I feel that we have really started to embrace the game plan over the last few weeks, and are using our strengths to our advantage. I don't think we're the third best side in it, but we are fun to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing what the season holds for us!

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Raw Toast great write up I enjoyed reading your summary of the game.
    Yes I was the one to bag Lochland and my assessment was may at half time and I'll admit she was a lot better in the second half and linked up well across the ground and her ball use was a lot cleaner.
    As for the work rate you will never see the amount of effort on a small square box.
    I appreciate your (and others) summaries that can physically be at the game as you can only appreciate AFL football when watching it live as the cameras can never catch what's happing outside 1080p.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

12. Likes soupman, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was there. Just watched the replay to see if that changed my perspective on a few things.

Noting Raw Toast’s comments on Lochland: I said to a mate that she is probably the next “name” to fall out of the squad by virtue of younger players overwhelming her position with pure footy talent. Thought perhaps her position in the side was of it’s time and that time had passed. I think we’ve seen that with KB, Mo Hope etc.

It wasn’t a fair assessment. Her role has changed significantly and she’s offering plenty as a two way, running player. Excellent work rate and pressure in transition. Her presence at the coal face where a little win and some pace opens things up is an asset.

Bonnie I have described as a “nearly” type of player. Clearly good, but just a shade off excellent. She’s taken some huge strides towards excellent this season and yesterday was an emphatic demonstration of that. Full of belief, competitive and daring. Delightful to watch her grow as a footballer.

Ferres, Scott and Lynch brought the hard and tough moments attacking the ball carrier. Those moments to me are emblematic of the Club’s identity and when we have players of that nature doing that work, doing it well, it bodes well right across the board. We’ve been lamenting a lack of it in our men’s squad but we are batting very deep on this front in AFLW. Lamb, Ellie, Guest, Georgostathis are consistent on this front too.

Gabby has more to give I think. She’s a real athlete, cuts an impressive figure on the field and gets in the thick of it. Plays this blue collar, small ball type of game with flashes of elite skill. I think she’d benefit from taking the game on a bit more and looking to take more grass with her possessions. Keep the mind set defensively but really look to sweep the footy away when she has it.

Jack Fitzpatrick was impressive in his comments on the telecast. Very upbeat, clear communicator. He’s good value I suspect.

My 5YO and I were there, dad and daughter time. Sitting in approximately the spot that we sat in when I was wee lad, learning the value of this Club and way it’s story is weaved into the fabric of my family and community. It’s an amazing feeling to reflect on that and see the wheel turning in real time in a new generation. I don’t mean to trivialise Indigenous culture, but I imagine that feeling sits somewhere with the idea of feeling a connection the land, a sense of place etc. Playing games at VUWO and having fans there is very important and valuable to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Great summations to everyone so far. Umpires continue to umpire AFLW like disappointed parents but generally a pretty good day out. Apart from Geelong we haven't really played any of the second tier teams so good to put them away so clinically.

Real bummer for Berry. It was right in front of us and can't be anything other than an ACL. She was really coming along this season as a good version of Bailey Dale and we'll miss her excellent kicking.

Reckon that was Toogood's best game ever and probably what we've been waiting for from her. That goal from the boundary was utter filth. Huntington unbelievable too and McLeod did some things again (and should've been paid that mark). The forward line is dangerous in the air, on the ground and generally any time the ball is near any of them.

Weirdly down game from Blackburn, and pretty annoyed she violated my social contract of not taking on the tackler within 10m of opposition goal. She'll be fine I'm sure.

I think players like Lochland and Georgostathis are always going to be limited by their skills but you can't say they don't leave it all out there. Our concerns regarding the mens team's willingness to play team first footy absolutely does not apply to the women.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Thanks Hotdog60, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, SonofScray, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood top of the ladder.

Really look forward to 'Hot Dogs, Cold Pies' next Sunday.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Collingwood top of the ladder.

Really look forward to 'Hot Dogs, Cold Pies' next Sunday.
    We will see where we are at.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

VFLW _ One that might have slipped under the radar, round one was played on the weekend and the dogs beat the hawks by 36 points. Hawthorn not having any AFLW players may have given us an advantage but great for us to get our first win on the board.
    Go dogs!

20. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    VFLW _ One that might have slipped under the radar, round one was played on the weekend and the dogs beat the hawks by 36 points. Hawthorn not having any AFLW players may have given us an advantage but great for us to get our first win on the board.
    Go dogs!
    Are the players not getting a game with our AFLW playing with our playing VFLW team Hose? When I saw the playing list for the VFLW side I didn't see any AFLW players on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Are the players not getting a game with our AFLW playing with our playing VFLW team Hose? When I saw the playing list for the VFLW side I didn't see any AFLW players on it.
    There were a few. Van Oosterwick and Grant definitely played
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

23. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Pritchard, Gutkneckt, Morris-Dalton, Lagioia, Strahan played also. I guess it works the same as the men's comps in that the afl listed player will not appear on the vfl playing list.

25. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post