Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  207
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW - Game Day discussion - Season 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm 50/50 with Burke. Seems a very nice guy and presents well but his methods are yet to be proven.
    Is there any chance we could take care of the footy under pressure?

The tackle comes, we throw it away and give the opposition a chance. It's exhausting to watch.

Just hold on to the thing. Please, just tell the girls when they get tackled that it's going to be OK...and whatever they do, DON'T handball it out to no-one.

This game was ours for the taking and we can blame the umpires all we like (but let's face it, umpiring is terrible in the AFL and terrible x 5 in the AFLW because it seems they are under instruction NOT to pay free kicks!) but if we would just take care of the footy under tackle pressure the result would have been far different.

Oh - and well done to that new St Kilda mid number 6 - she's an exciting prospect and kicks it really well.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the Lions today and it was interesting to see when they release a handball there was generally a team mate in the area to receive.
    There was a few today that they just knew where their team was it was instinctive.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I watched the Lions today and it was interesting to see when they release a handball there was generally a team mate in the area to receive.
    There was a few today that they just knew where their team was it was instinctive.
    The other thing I don't like is when they are under pressure, they tend to just slam it on the foot resulting in a turnover.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The other thing I don't like is when they are under pressure, they tend to just slam it on the foot resulting in a turnover.
    Better slam it on the boot, take 30m of grass and be able to set up defensively than chuck it on the ground and watch the opposition mids run away from the contest after gathering the loose ball.

Don't you learn to KICK under pressure, handball to ATTACK in the u7's? I know some of the girls are new to the sport but most are not...

Commentators beginning to seriously annoy me now as well (no surprise). One of the Giants girls dropped a mark vs Freo yesterday that cost a goal. It wasn't complicated. Rather than the old 'dropped what she should have taken' we got "xxxxx works back with the flight of the ball...yyyy picks it up off the deck - GOAL DOCKERS". It is rubbish. More people would embrace the game if they felt they were allowed to have an opinion without being pilloried for being 'anti-women'.

I really enjoy the game and have a few of the players at the gym with me in the off-season. They are happy for the kid gloves to be taken off and happy to be challenged on their skill / decision errors. They WANT to be thought of as good players. They WANT their own identities within the game. Most of David King's match explanation video is rudimentary but if the AFLW games were subject to some additional scrutiny even at the level he does it and the differences in the teams/players were better appreciated the audience would grow exponentially.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Better slam it on the boot, take 30m of grass and be able to set up defensively than chuck it on the ground and watch the opposition mids run away from the contest after gathering the loose ball.

Don't you learn to KICK under pressure, handball to ATTACK in the u7's? I know some of the girls are new to the sport but most are not...

Commentators beginning to seriously annoy me now as well (no surprise). One of the Giants girls dropped a mark vs Freo yesterday that cost a goal. It wasn't complicated. Rather than the old 'dropped what she should have taken' we got "xxxxx works back with the flight of the ball...yyyy picks it up off the deck - GOAL DOCKERS". It is rubbish. More people would embrace the game if they felt they were allowed to have an opinion without being pilloried for being 'anti-women'.

I really enjoy the game and have a few of the players at the gym with me in the off-season. They are happy for the kid gloves to be taken off and happy to be challenged on their skill / decision errors. They WANT to be thought of as good players. They WANT their own identities within the game. Most of David King's match explanation video is rudimentary but if the AFLW games were subject to some additional scrutiny even at the level he does it and the differences in the teams/players were better appreciated the audience would grow exponentially.
    A lot of women's sport has this 'cheerleading' aspect to it which makes it hard to watch/listen to. WNBA, soccer. It *feels* like there is an underlying sense of - yay, good effort (for a girl).

Tennis seems to be one sport where the media/commentary analysis is free to actually critique and well...analyse female players openly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah +1 to the patronising commentary getting them nowhere. Being gaslit into thinking that everything we’re seeing is awesome seems squarely aimed at the luddite Facebook crowd who only ever talk about how low the scores are, who I’m pretty certain aren’t actually watching.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Got my tickets for Friday night. The having to book despite a membership thing is a pain in the arse.

That aside, looking forward to returning to VUWO and seeing our Club in action. Watched the replay earlier and the girls were stiff that scoreboard got away from them, a couple of cheap goals the difference. The development of a few players who have been in the system a while now is promising, Toogood being the stand out on that front.

There’s enough talent and improvements in this squad that we should see some more joy than last season.

10. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs player just missed the easiest goal of all time and there was barely a peep from the commentary.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen much of the other sides, but I'd be surprised if there are many better than Blackburn.

13. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huntington missed it she could have gone right to the line and dribbled it through poor miss.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen better umpiring at Auskick, where do they find these clowns?

Post Thanks / Like

Fitzgerald looks like a ripper.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lochland looks she's burning a lot of tickets and not touching it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I’ve seen better umpiring at Auskick, where do they find these clowns?
    They are supposed to be AFL umpires. Some shocking decisions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I haven't seen much of the other sides, but I'd be surprised if there are many better than Blackburn.
    Just brilliant in tight, so composed.

21. Likes Raw Toast, azabob liked this post