Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs By the Numbers

Do you remember when you were a kid you'd know all the players numbers and would rely moreso on them than other cues to identify players - at least initially. These days there are a lot of players whose numbers I wouldn't have a clue about.

The other night I was watching some clips of Johnno making a fool of defenders and it made me think of anothet great number 6 for us - Wee Georgie Bissett - who was an absolutely loved player for us.

And then I thought of our current number 6 who is scribing a similar trajectory as the aforementioned duo.

So I invite Woofers to remember other significant/not so significant numbers sixes who have donned the RWB.

And then we could go on to number 1, number 2 and so on

Would be a trip down memory lane for me and others too I'm sure.
    So, "Let's kick the can down the road." as they say in Topkeka Kansas.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Number #6

Neil of course. Had a big reputation coming over from S.A and was going to be a great player for us. Passed away last year but made a more important contribution to society than football by creating the Neil Sachse Foundation. RIP.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 29-01-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes Mofra, merantau, HOSE B ROMERO, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The great Charlie Sutton of course was number 6. Way before my time, but what I have seen and read was a tough back pocket and one of the famous to wear 6
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The great Charlie Sutton of course was number 6. Way before my time, but what I have seen and read was a tough back pocket and one of the famous to wear 6
    This post has strong Eastdog vibes, are you secretly the same person BAD?

For number 6 I can't go past the gloved one Tony Campbell. Looked like he should have been a key figure in the Melbourne gangland wars with the slicked back hair. When he returned in number 21 after a few years away from the game (presumably making collections for Tony Mokbel) he just wasn't the same player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I saw Charlie played once in 1956 at the Western Oval. My only memory of him is having 2 or 3 bounces running down the EJ Smith Stand wing towards the Barkly St end. Did he retire because of injury? It seems strange to pull up stumps just a few weeks into the season.

8. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    This post has strong Eastdog vibes, are you secretly the same person BAD?

For number 6 I can't go past the gloved one Tony Campbell. Looked like he should have been a key figure in the Melbourne gangland wars with the slicked back hair. When he returned in number 21 after a few years away from the game (presumably making collections for Tony Mokbel) he just wasn't the same player.
    Remember Tony well but had no idea he wore number 6. He was a good player for us. Would not have looked out of place in one of Simon Minton Connel's trench coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Dahlhaus during his prime was a fantastic contributor for us.
    Incredibly courageous, came through the hard way for 154 games and a Premiership puts him right up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Incredibly courageous, came through the hard way for 154 games and a Premiership puts him right up there.
    Thanks for that. I didn't even realise he was number 6. Agree with your comment. He was a terrific player for us and I would have loved him to be a one club player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Not only that, really carried the hopes of the club for a while. The type of player that you went to games to watch.

It's clear that he's maybe a bit of a knob/a bit immature, but he was such a key component to our side in 2016 (and the years leading up) that he'll always deservedly be a Bulldog hero.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Doc26, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, let's kick the can down the road and take a look at #1.
    The first that springs to mind is Andrew Purser. He came over from the West in about '83 I think and was a really solid performer in the ruck. Tireless and committed to the cause.

"Polly" was with us for five seasons and played 112 games. He won the B&F in 1984. A really solid performer who only missed one game through injury in five years was never suspended and never omitted.

Other number #1s? There must be plenty. I know a few more but I'll keep my powder dry for the moment.
    Last edited by merantau; 02-03-2021 at 05:41 PM.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Ok, let's kick the can down the road and take a look at #1.
    The first that springs to mind is Andrew Purser. He came over from the West in about '83 I think and was a really solid performer in the ruck. Tireless and committed to the cause.

Other number #1s? There must be plenty. I know a few more but I'll keep my powder dry for the moment.
    Best number 1 surely must be Brownlow medalist Allan "bandy legs" Hopkins. No I didn't see him play.

17. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken Greenwood had a 10 year VFL career from '62 to '72 playing 128 games in total - the last 74, from '67 to '72 with us. He was a solidly built ruckman but not overly tall. He wore number 1 and later I think he became a committeeman. He was a good solid player for us during some lean years.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian "Bluey" Hampshire. I saw his entire career with us from '76 to '82. He played 111 games with us and 224 in total. He joined us from Geelong and quickly became a crowd favourite. I actually saw him bounce the ball once - a rarity for he was the archetypal "lumbering ruckman". Of course upon retirement he later coached us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Ian "Bluey" Hampshire. I saw his entire career with us from '76 to '82. He played 111 games with us and 224 in total. He joined us from Geelong and quickly became a crowd favourite. I actually saw him bounce the ball once - a rarity for he was the archetypal "lumbering ruckman". Of course upon retirement he later coached us.
    I liked bluey, he was an interesting player. I also saw him in those years. 80 to 82 was really bleak
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Murray Zeuschner was with us for six seasons - '62 to '67 and wore number #1 throughout. A ruckman back pocket he played 64 games. His brother Barry was a fine CHF in the VFA with Sandringham.