Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Round 1, 1982. Me and a mate journeyed to Windy Hill to witness Simon Beasley's debut wearing the #18. We were filled with expectation. Simon was a big name recruit who had starred in State games against the Vics taking strong marks and kicking long goals from outside 50 with arrow-straight drop punts.

It could not have been a more lacklustre debut. Simon had 2 kicks for 2 behinds and we lost by 109 points. It was a bleak day. But as they say: "It's always darkest before the dawn." Simon booted 82 goals in his first year and went on to boot 575 goals in a 154 game, 8 year career - the most majors ever kicked by a Bulldog.
    We only won three games in 1982 and were wooden spooners but Simon shone for us.

In round 16 against Geelong at the Western Oval he booted 12 goals 4 behinds and we won handsomely. He won our goal kicking from '82 to '88 and was Coleman Medalist in 1985 with 93 goals. He went on to kick 105 goals that year reaching 100 by booting 7 in memorable finals win against North at the "G". I was there.

Simon was a great player. He didn't look like a big heavy bloke but he topped the scales at 102kgs. He was immensely courageous standing under a high ball. He was quick on the lead and could take a pack mark with the best of them. He was an excellent kick for goal. Bulldog Team of the Century. A Bulldog Immortal.

https://youtu.be/-21Q4NI1nyo

This is a beautiful memory. I was there.
    https://youtu.be/ZNn6MqJ1mno

Simon had guts.
    https://youtu.be/r4GFMT2Xe9Q

100th goal in season 1985.
    https://youtu.be/uKhancHOM6Q
    Absolutely love this one.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Simon's career was cut short in 1989 by back and knee injuries. In 1988 he booted 82 goals, so his forced retirement was a tragedy: he still had a couple of years of good football in him.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Simon's career was cut short by back and knee injuries. A tragedy because he still had a couple of years of good football in him.
    For me the best number 18, and in my top 5 players from 1980s onwards
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We've had some very good players pull on the #9 jumper starting with Premiership hero Don Ross who won our B&F in 1956. Laurie Sandilands had a 12 year career, was good at either end of the ground, won our goal kicking 4 times and was captain for three years.

Lindsay Gilbee had a 206 game career as a defender who loved to get forward and kick a goal. An elite kick - many would say the best in the competition during his playing days - he had a ton of dash who initiated many attacking moves after taking possession from deep in defence and breaking the lines.

Really hard to separate these two players. Lindsay played in better teams. Laurie played in lean times. Both outstanding players who left their mark and are remembered fondly for the way they went about their football. I'm going for Laurie - just.
    Would have liked to have seen Laurie play. 3kz's 'the captain and the major' certainly loved his tough style.
    Gilb's for me. Probably our best field kick, could kill the ball in the air and a nice goal kicker.

Post Thanks / Like

We have had some marvellous players wear #10 - Gordon Casey, Mick Egan, Mark Hunter, Brett Montgomery, Nathan Eagleton and Easton Wood.

I can't go past our Premiership skipper as the pre-eminent #10. His 2015 was a revelation. His attack on the ball, his marking and spoiling - his run. Freed up we saw what an attacking force he was. Who can forget his mid air goal and then his one-handed pick up and clearing handball in the dying seconds of the game against Sydney at the SCG?

Then in 2016, thrust into the captaincy in a moment of crisis he took up the challenge to do what leaders do - lead. He played inspiring football. and kept the faith when the Club was decimated with injuries. He had to contend with his own serious injury just before the finals and what a finals series he played. It was his goal that got us on the board against Hawthorn. He was brilliant against GWS when his crucial efforts and Fletcher Roberts' clearing kick got us out of the danger zone.
    Yep ditto everything you said about Woody. But for his initial frustration with leg injuries, his career could have taken off earlier. Inspirational.
    Special mention for Eagle. After an initial slow start he cemented his spot. Who could forget the leg speed and those raking left foot goals. Also i remember on a couple of occasions where he was running the same way as the ball, get cleaned up and continued on.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I was real dirty when he left. Loved watching him play. His baulk was a thing of beauty. Terrific player.
    I read an interview not long ago where Thorpe was confronted at Richmond being told that he wasn't a team player but an individual playing in a team. In retrospect he said he agreed and that's why he didn't play as many games as he should have.

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

16 & 17 to Griffen & Cooney for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Leon Cameron arrived from Sth Warrnambool in 1990 and was with us for 10 seasons 172 games and 68 goals. He wore #18.

He was selected at number 7 in the draft he was a very good player from the outset. His kicking on both sides of his body was elite. If you didn't know he was a natural right footer it was really hard to work it out from just watching him play. In this regard he only had one rival - Doug Hawkins.

Leon had pace, skill, courage and a big tank - he could run all day and then some. People who bang on about the John Worsfolds and Jonathan Brown's etc being so courageous amuse me. It's a lot easier to be courageous when you're built like a Sherman tank. It's players like Leon Cameron, Caleb Daniel, George Bisset, Ken Hunter, Robbie Flower Dean Laidley etc who are truly, deeply courageous because they are small/lightweight/wiry.

Leon was good in the air and on the ground. He was adaptable too. I remember a game at Whitten Oval when was switched on to a rampant Wayne Carey in the 3rd quarter.

Leon won our B&F in 1993 and was Age Footballer of the Year in 1995.

I can't recall the circumstances in which he went to Richmond. I only know I was not happy about it.

This is what I mean about his kicking.

https://youtu.be/NPHd_xAY-Js

Post Thanks / Like

Simon's career was cut short in 1989 by back and knee injuries. In 1988 he booted 82 goals, so his forced retirement was a tragedy: he still had a couple of years of good football in him.
    Yep Beazer for me. A wonderful career and a colourful stockbroking career awaited him.

Special mention to Leon Cameron. Sensational on either side of the body. On the wing or ruck roving, he was very consistent.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall the circumstances in which he went to Richmond. I only know I was not happy about it.
    We swapped him to Richmond, for picks 37 (Mitch Hahn) and 66 (Ryan Hargrave) we did alright out of it. Leon played 84 games at Richmond while Mitch (181) and Shaggy (203) played 384 between them.

We also traded Michael Martin to Brisbane for Trent Bartlett and their pick 32 who we took Daniel Giansiracusa with. It was a good trade/draft period for us.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Thanks merantau, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Between 2000 and 2003 Trent Bartlett played 42 games in the #18 and kicked 34 goals. He came to us from Brisbane where he played 39 games as a defender. We played him as a forward.

I have a lot of respect for him as I saw him absolutely poleaxed when playing for Brisbane. He was a mess and had to be stretchered off. It takes courage to come back from a massive hit like that.

He played as a forward for us and was more than handy. He booted 5 against Carlton at Princes Park one afternoon and was a big contributor to a win against the odds.

Here's a clip of his first goal for us.

https://youtu.be/HqVcbhmOM-I

Post Thanks / Like

Between 2000 and 2003 Trent Bartlett played 42 games in the #18 and kicked 34 goals. He came to us from Brisbane where he played 39 games as a defender. We played him as a forward.

I have a lot of respect for him as I saw him absolutely poleaxed when playing for Brisbane. He was a mess and had to be stretchered off. It takes courage to come back from a massive hit like that.

He played as a forward for us and was more than handy. He booted 5 against Carlton at Princes Park one afternoon and was a big contributor to a win against the odds.

Here's a clip of his first goal for us.

https://youtu.be/HqVcbhmOM-I
    One of the best wins I ever saw was at Princes Park in 2000. A young bloke called Robert Murphy wearing #22 slotted a goal to make the difference less than a goal and then Trent Bartlett kicked the winner from one of the dodgiest free kicks I've ever seen. I still have a photo of Trent and Rohan Smith walking up the race with Carlton supporters leaning over the fence abusing them. Rohan is showing them the Bulldog on the front of his jumper and Trent has his arms raised in jubilation.

It's one of my favourite photos of all time.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    One of the best wins I ever saw was at Princes Park in 2000. A young bloke called Robert Murphy wearing #22 slotted a goal to make the difference less than a goal and then Trent Bartlett kicked the winner from one of the dodgiest free kicks I've ever seen. I still have a photo of Trent and Rohan Smith walking up the race with Carlton supporters leaning over the fence abusing them. Rohan is showing them the Bulldog on the front of his jumper and Trent has his arms raised in jubilation.

It's one of my favourite photos of all time.
    You can't put a price on memories like that. Thanks for sharing.

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't find any reference re that but someone else may know.
    Barry Ion, the brother of Graham Ion was working as a DJ whilst playing for the 'dogs.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

20. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts wore #18 for seven years and 51 games. In our flag year he played 18 games and was a very dependable defender for us. Copped a very heavy knock to the face in the Prelim but came back on and was involved in some crucial plays. Never forget it was his clearing kick out af a desperate defensive situation that, under extreme pressure , reached the boundary line. It was the perfect kick for the occasion.
    Fletcher will always be remembered fondly by me and all supporters as a Bulldog Premiership Hero.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post