Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

So that brings us the the end of significant Bulldogs who've worn the numbers from #16 to #30.

So over to you. Who has been the best for each of these numbers since 1954? We'll start with #16. When we finish with #30, I'll then start looking at numbers 31 through 45.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    So that brings us the the end of significant Bulldogs who've worn the numbers from #16 to #30.

So over to you. Who has been the best for each of these numbers since 1954? We'll start with #16. When we finish with #30, I'll then start looking at numbers 31 through 45.
    No one will ever surpass the great Matthew Croft in the No. 16.

A ONE CLUB PLAYER who Played up forward one week and kicks 6 goals, plays down back the following and keeps Carey goaless.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No one will ever surpass the great Matthew Croft in the No. 16.

A ONE CLUB PLAYER who Played up forward one week and kicks 6 goals, plays down back the following and keeps Carey goaless.
    Yep #16 has to be Jexy. I was born on the 16th day of the month so I've always taken note of the player wearing it and Matthew Croft has been the best 16 since the turn of the century.

Like you say he could practically win games at either end of the field even though he came to the club and played his early football as a winger.

Funny story. When one of my mates was at Highpoint with his 7 yo son he spotted Crotty at the Foodcourt. Matthew was his son's favourite player and he said "hey check it out. There's Matthew Croft!" His son said "don't be silly dad. That's not Matthew Croft. He's not wearing footy shorts"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griffen.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Griffen.
    I hear there's a queue forming down at the Yarraville nets, awaiting your arrival

9. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, Happy Days, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mathew Robbins - courage.

https://youtu.be/MeXFB7y6g1I

Post Thanks / Like

Mathew Robbins - big mark.

https://youtu.be/g3qjX0Qju3U

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I hear there's a queue forming down at the Yarraville nets, awaiting your arrival
    Good. There's some heads on here that could use a little panel beating.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, looks like M. Croft gets the nod. Our best #17 ever is ...?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, looks like M. Croft gets the nod. Our best #17 ever is ...?
    Boyd's kicked a goal!! Boyd's kicked a goal!! F**k!!

Ok he gets the nod for one of the most important best-games ever. But there are probably others ahead of him. Nathan Brown or Cooney?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Boyd's kicked a goal!! Boyd's kicked a goal!! F**k!!

Ok he gets the nod for one of the most important best-games ever. But there are probably others ahead of him. Nathan Brown or Cooney?
    Talk about an under-delivering number. Those are three of the most hyped players we've ever had and none of them even scratched what they should have achieved with us.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    These days it would be a selfie.

I remember Axe came over from Tassie, with his twin brother. His brother played reserves but never got a senior game.

One day we were playing a crucial match at Western Oval (as it was called then), and a mate came over and said Axe is out, I just saw him in his civvies. It turned out to be his twin.
    He had great hands Axe. That '92 season he was brilliant and was right up there with Greg Williams.

I remember standing on the grandstand wing one day and someone behind me yelled out criticising Axe; when i looked around i had to do a double take. It was his his identical twin, Paul.

Yep Axe for mine.

19. Likes merantau, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to break ranks here and feature someone who played only ONE game for us. He was the first - and as far as I know, the only - nuclear physicist to run out in our colours. John Reilly ran out in Round 1 1984. He came with a big reputation but his debut was rather underwhelming. I was there and witnessed each of his 4 kicks and four handballs. He was prematurely grey which surprised me at the time.

Here are some notes from Wikipedia.

Originally from Broadview, Riley made his SANFL debut in 1977 and by 1982 was North Adelaide captain. In 1982, he also won the club's 'fairest and most brilliant' award and took part in South Australia's interstate fixtures.

He was lured to the VFL in 1984 when Footscray signed him and made his first appearance in the opening round of the 1984 VFL season, with eight disposals in a win over Richmond.[4] However, he had not been granted a clearance by North Adelaide, and the club was successful in getting a Supreme Court injunction to prevent him playing more games at Footscray.[5]

Riley finished the season with North Adelaide and remained with the club until 1990, amassing 250 games. After playing in their 1985 and 1986 Grand Final losses, Riley was on the half back flank when they won the 1987 premiership decider. He was later named at the same position in the North Adelaide 'Team of the Century'.[6]

So, obviously he could play the game - he just didn't get to play it with us.

I heard a rumour that we gave him a car to run around in and that it was last seen heading out Ballarat Rd in the direction of Bordertown. I don't think the story is true though. Could be a simple misunderstanding.
    I remember that game at the western oval. The grey hair certainly caught the eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Adam Cooney won a Brownlow and was a gun player. Nathan Brown was a favourite of Terry Wallace and left us in pursuit of a dollar.

Tom Boyd was instrumental in us winning the Premiership after a hiatus of 62 years. Sixty-two years! Let in sink in. He had to cope with intense media scrutiny, first as number 1 draft pick and then as the subject of a big tranfer deal which was forensically pulled apart by media scribes eager to put the boots in.

But Tom stood up to it all and faced them down. His performance during the Finals, particularly the last two, was epic and will never be forgotten. Tom Boyd - hero; and for me our greatest #17.

https://youtu.be/XksWfbV4Z4E

Tom Boyd GF Highlights.

https://youtu.be/mD0wVkKHt1E

22. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Mike Sheehan tells the story that he used to carry Bernie Lee's bag to the game regularly.
    Mike tells the story that he went to the 61 grand final with his leg in a cast and that Bernie Lee and one other player carried him up to his seat.

24. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post