Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    And so on to #3. For me Ted Whitten is the standout. He didn't just dominate games - he dominated the competition. It didn't seem to matter where we were on the ladder Ted and the Bulldogs were always in the news. He was one of a kind.

Not far behind him in skill, courage and commitment to the Bulldogs would be Chris Grant - certainly compares with the greats of any era for his complete mastery of all aspects of the game. Others may have kicked more goals but many of them were one dimensional mark and kick players. Chris could do it all and at either end of the ground - super player.
    This is a fine thread Merantau, very well done. Here is my take on these two champions.

Mr Football speaks for himself, I was privileged to see him play and once met him. His handshake nearly broke my hand. He had every skill in the book plus immense courage, he was larger than life and was a great leader of men. Who will ever forget that motorcade lap at the G. His State funeral exemplifies his status in football and wider Victoria, people lined the streets and wept, say no more.

Chris Grant played 341 games for us every one of them with great skill, fairness and courage.
    In 1997 he was robbed as the sole winner of the Brownlow medal having polled 27 votes. He was suspended in a Round 7 clash with Hawthorn, having been given a one-match ban for striking Nick Holland.
    The umpires didn't report him but Ian Collins took an appeal to the tribunal, what bs that was, what a disgrace.
    At the end of 1996 Grant was rumoured to be offered $1.5m to be the marquee player at Port Adelaide when they joined the AFL in 1997 - he stayed with the Dogs, he is loyal and respected to a fault.

2. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two champion number 7's and would be in most top 5's.
    Hawk had all the skills and was a great player.
    Westy was just so consistent. Seven b&f's, Gave his all through 9 or 10 final series. Super professional on match day or training.
    Close but West for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

So on to #8. Another tough one. We have had a succession of very good players appear in the #8 going way back to Max Cross in 1956.

For me the three standouts are Bob Spargo, Rick Kennedy and Mitch Hahn. All very fine players. I was gutted when Bob went west as he was really starting to shine and was at his prime.

I give it to Rick for his on field leadership. He didn't leave anyone wondering about his commitment to the team and his desire to win. Mitch was the same. Totally courageous and committed. We have been well served by the #8.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

So on to #8. Another tough one. We have had a succession of very good players appear in the #8 going way back to Max Cross in 1956.

For me the three standouts are Bob Spargo, Rick Kennedy and Mitch Hahn. All very fine players. I was gutted when Bob went west as he was really starting to shine and was at his prime.

I give it to Rick for his on field leadership. He didn't leave anyone wondering about his commitment to the team and his desire to win. Mitch was the same. Totally courageous and committed. We have been well served by the #8.
    Yes, Rick Kennedy for sure
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And now on to #4. For me it's Marcus Bontempelli by the length of the straight. He is a marvellous player who can do things that the large majority of players can't. He is destined to be our next Premiership captain. Still very young but has always been mature for his age. Captaincy suits him well. He is the real deal.
    Some notable number 4's in my time - Crossy was a heart and soul player, and Nigel Kellett was a mainstay for a few seasons. Back in the day of kids growing up in the west prior to playing for the dogs
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a 'tough nut' number for a long time. I had no 8 on my jumper as a kid for Kennedy.
    Trengove did it proud, and I'm glad Stef Martin is wearing it this year.

Did Bernard Toohey rock the number 8 in his day?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Bernard Toohey did #8 proud. Always ran in straight lines and it wasn't because of any knee injury either.

Post Thanks / Like

Rick for mine. Always ran in straight lines and made sure if his fist didn't get the ball it collected the back of someone's noggin. Had some great tussles with Brian Taylor, Plugger etc

Well worth having a listen to Kevin Hillier's two dogs podcast featuring Kennedy and Beasley.

Honourable mention to Mitch Hahn.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Spargo related to the Melbourne radio dj from the time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Was Spargo related to the Melbourne radio dj from the time?
    Can't find any reference re that but someone else may know.

Post Thanks / Like

We've had some very good players pull on the #9 jumper starting with Premiership hero Don Ross who won our B&F in 1956. Laurie Sandilands had a 12 year career, was good at either end of the ground, won our goal kicking 4 times and was captain for three years.

Lindsay Gilbee had a 206 game career as a defender who loved to get forward and kick a goal. An elite kick - many would say the best in the competition during his playing days - he had a ton of dash who initiated many attacking moves after taking possession from deep in defence and breaking the lines.

Really hard to separate these two players. Lindsay played in better teams. Laurie played in lean times. Both outstanding players who left their mark and are remembered fondly for the way they went about their football. I'm going for Laurie - just.

Post Thanks / Like

Lally Bamblett was one of my favourites in 1985, but only palyed the one season.

I am going to go for Gilbee with 206 games, one of our longest serving indigenous players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had some marvellous players wear #10 - Gordon Casey, Mick Egan, Mark Hunter, Brett Montgomery, Nathan Eagleton and Easton Wood.

I can't go past our Premiership skipper as the pre-eminent #10. His 2015 was a revelation. His attack on the ball, his marking and spoiling - his run. Freed up we saw what an attacking force he was. Who can forget his mid air goal and then his one-handed pick up and clearing handball in the dying seconds of the game against Sydney at the SCG?

Then in 2016, thrust into the captaincy in a moment of crisis he took up the challenge to do what leaders do - lead. He played inspiring football. and kept the faith when the Club was decimated with injuries. He had to contend with his own serious injury just before the finals and what a finals series he played. It was his goal that got us on the board against Hawthorn. He was brilliant against GWS when his crucial efforts and Fletcher Roberts' clearing kick got us out of the danger zone.

17. Likes bornadog, Mofra, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At #11 we have a champion in Jack Macrae. For consistently good football over a long period of time his only rival for output would be Tony McGuinness.
    Jack is a prolific ball winner and link man who brings others into the game. And when the pressure was on in the biggest game of his life - he stood up. Go Jacko!

19. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best #12? I think it's a toss of the coin between Alex Gardiner and Greg Epplestun. Both played a similar number of games in about the same number of years. Greg by a whisker.
    James Cook had a big impact but unfortunately could not sustain it.

#13? Gia, Gia, Gia. Great contributor over a long career. Gave his all and played some marvellous football for us.