Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Gun forward, Tory Dickson, played 114 games in the #29 and kicked 181 goals 61 behinds making him one of the all time greats for accuracy and probably the most accurate Bulldog of all time.
    A mature age recruit he travelled a long and winding road before getting a crack on the big stage. And did he grab it with both hands! What a fabulous player he was during the 2016 campaign. His heroics against GWS in particular will never be forgotten - especially by Heath Shaw, who I suspect, is suffering some form of PTSD after the run around Tory gave him. I just loved him as a player. Total pro. Just went out there and got the job done - no histrionics - using skill, endeavour, a great ability to read the game and to know where the goals are.

These notes are from Wikipedia.

"Before joining the Western Bulldogs, Dickson had been playing for various football clubs around Victoria. In 2009, he won the best and fairest award at Victorian Football League (VFL) club Frankston. After being overlooked for the AFL Draft, Dickson played for Noble Park in the Eastern Football League. In 2011, Dickson signed with the Bendigo Bombers and kicked 48 goals in 19 games.

At the age of 24, Dickson was selected by the Western Bulldogs in the 2011 National Draft, with pick #57. Dickson made his debut in round 1 of the 2012 AFL season against West Coast. He struggled to make an impact, and was dropped the following week.

After spending a month playing for his third VFL club, the Bulldogs' former affiliate Williamstown, Dickson was recalled to the Bulldogs for their round 7 match against North Melbourne.

Dickson is noted for the accuracy of his kicking for goal.[3] He was the most accurate of all AFL players in 2019, and the third-most accurate since 1965.

On September 27, 2020, Dickson announced his retirement from AFL football.
    Deadset club legend.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My daughters favourite as a kid
    Ironically one of my daughter's too. Sexy legs as he was known amongst my 3 girls.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Graeme "Pudden" Chalmers from Yarraville played 75 games in the #27 from 1962 to 1968. He booted 37 goals and played mainly on the wing and sometimes roved.
    He retired at age 23 and became a pilot with the RAAF.
    I met him at the Footscray hospital. His arm was in a cast while I had a broken nose. Memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I met him at the Footscray hospital. His arm was in a cast while I had a broken nose. Memories.
    Were the two connected?

6. Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From 1957 to 1963 Bernie Lee played 95 games for us in the #29. He was a very good competitor and played full back in the '61 Finals campaign.

He came through the U/19s and played all his football in defence - either full back or on the back flank.
    Mike Sheehan tells the story that he used to carry Bernie Lee's bag to the game regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Were the two connected?
    Ha ha. His was playing for the dogs mine was playing for North Footscray's junior team. We had a good yack. He was a local Yarraville/Spotty boy.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best things about Tory Dickson's career with us is that Essendon were all set to take him but we snuck in and drafted him a couple of spots before they pulled the trigger. They always saw him as the one that got away.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Were the two connected?
    Yarraville nets conciliation session?

12. Likes EasternWest, bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yarraville nets conciliation session?
    It's the only reasonable conclusion.

Ha ha. His was playing for the dogs mine was playing for North Footscray's junior team. We had a good yack. He was a local Yarraville/Spotty boy.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the only reasonable conclusion.
    You gotta watch out for those flying head butts.

15. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don McKenzie, ex-Spotswood, played 137 games for us between 1962 and 1970 and kicked 127 goals. He wore #39 in his first season but thereafter wore #30. He was a half forward flanker who kicked the ball beautifully - his best season tally coming in 1969 when he kicked 32 goals.
    McKenzie played his last game in 1970 before leaving Footscray to coach Sunshine in the VFA. He experienced immediate success winning the 1971 Diviision 2 Premiership. In 1972 he won the J. J. Liston Trophy while captaining and coaching Sunshine in the Victorian Football Association's First Division. . During the 1978 VFL season he took over coaching duties at Footscray from Bill Goggin and remained coach until the end of 1979.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

From '79 to '86 Neil Cordy played 139 games for us in the #29 mainly as a half back back flanker. He was an excellent mark and kick and he liked to get forward too. He went on to play for yhe Swans and racked up 235 games in total before embarking on a successful media career in Sydney. An excellent player for us. I was sorry to see him leave.
    For whatever reason, Malthouse couldn’t stand Neil. A peculiar career for us. One of our top 4-5 performers from ‘82 to ‘84, then not even regularly selected in our ‘85-‘86 sides. Then off to Sydney to play great footy. A big miss by our club, IMO. Along with Fred Cook, the inexplicable number 29 that got away..

18. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked with Neil for a while at Essendon Tech. He was a Phys Ed teacher there. Terrific bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Between '71 and '81 Ross Abbey played 128 games and kicked 65 goals for us wearing the #30 - the same number as worn by his father Angus.
    Ross was a well built half back/ruck rover who served us very well and who represented Victoria twice.

Post Thanks / Like

From '98 to '07 Mathew Robbins played 139 games for us as a small forward kicking 135 goals. He previously spent 3 years at Geelong for 7 games. He was an excellent pick up
    Fast, strong tackling he could also mark well. In season 2006 he booted 45 goals.

22. Likes EasternWest, chef liked this post