Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1925. Almost 100 years ago now.

I think B4L saw those premierships live
    I remember that. We went together.

2. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've said here many a time that Chris Grant is probably the most underrated footballer of his era - and many other eras. These are some of his best goals, but I can remember a few others that aren't captured that were just as good if not better (i.e, the one at Waverley where he was running directly towards the pocket at full bore and snapped the straightest kick ever across his body for a goal that never looked like missing).

None of the goals are anything but sublime, whether it be skill or determination. If he had have led us to the 97 flag his legacy would be so much more respected than it is.
    #3 against North at the MCG was in a late season game when neither North or us had anything to play for. But there's always something to play for against North. We led by 8 goals at halftime (I think we'd even scored 100 points in the first half) but Noth roared back and kicked the first 6 or 7 in the third quarter and our bums were getting squeaky until Chris kicked that one. We were never going to lose from then.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    #3 against North at the MCG was in a late season game when neither North or us had anything to play for. But there's always something to play for against North. We led by 8 goals at halftime (I think we'd even scored 100 points in the first half) but Noth roared back and kicked the first 6 or 7 in the third quarter and our bums were getting squeaky until Chris kicked that one. We were never going to lose from then.
    He made Glenn Archer look like a novice. Supreme, instinctual movement, vision and timing. You can teach that up to a point but only the most gifted can make it look like a walk in the park. Pure footballing magic.
    I remember listening to some Welsh rugby greats, talking about side stepping and They said, "Side stepping is a natural gift. You can be taught how to do it ... but you can never be taught when to sidestep."
    Substitute blind turn for sidestep.

https://youtu.be/cufDi1hjADE
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant Brownlow year

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely Brownlow year. What a player. Thanks for sharing BAD. Never get sick of watching sublime skill.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Season 2007 saw the arrival of Andrejs Everitt. He wore #29 in his first year but wore #3 between '08 and '10. He played 36 games for us. Had lots of ability but never cemented his place in the team. He then had three years at Sydney and finally 3 years at Carlton where he played his most consistent football. All up 131 games over ten years. Booted 91 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Everitt had lots of potential but didn't have passion for the game. With his talent he should have been better than he was.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    He made Glenn Archer look like a novice. Supreme, instinctual movement, vision and timing. You can teach that up to a point but only the most gifted can make it look like a walk in the park. Pure footballing magic.
    I remember listening to some Welsh rugby greats, talking about side stepping and They said, "Side stepping is a natural gift. You can be taught how to do it ... but you can never be taught when to sidestep."
    Substitute blind turn for sidestep.

https://youtu.be/cufDi1hjADE
    I'm pretty sure you must be mistaken, because Glenn Archer is the Shiboner of the Century and you have to be the most amazing person in the world to be Shinboner of the Century (sorry if you're reading Rosco, I'm just having some fun)!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant Brownlow year

Yeah I was going to post that instead of the top goals! Amazing year. While the highlights say a lot - showing his ground ball, aerial and kicking prowess - no videos ever seem to give the context of just how influential he was compared to being at the game watching him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Everitt had lots of potential but didn't have passion for the game. With his talent he should have been better than he was.

Yes, there had to be some explanation - a poor man's Nathan Ablett.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there had to be some explanation - a poor man's Nathan Ablett.
    I played footy with Nathan a few years ago, he just wasn't much good. Not sure how he managed to do as well as he did early in his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Ted was a great player. The best for mine. I saw over half his career and just loved going to the footy just to see him play. He could play any position on the ground from the backline, the forward line and ruck rover. The ground were often muddy but that never stopped Ted's skills including kicking those torps for goal. His drop kicking was sublime too covering 65 metres plus regularly. As well as being the best player in the league he also was the team enforcer. Elbows, forearms it didn't matter but it was always in front of the umpire never behind the play. We had such a young team in those days and Ted looked after the youngsters. These day he would be rubbed out constantly but footy was different then. I am sure Ted would have been a champion whatever era he played in.

17. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I played footy with Nathan a few years ago, he just wasn't much good. Not sure how he managed to do as well as he did early in his career.
    Maybe he was a bit like Crazy Horse who, when Barassi got stuck into him with, "What's wrong with you Cowton? Are you ignorant or just plain apathetic?"
    To which Crazy replied: "I don't know and I don't care."

Ron's response to that has not been recorded as far as I know.

19. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Season 2021 will see our current #3, Mitch Wallis, run out to begin his 11th season. 151 games and 101 goals to date.
    Playing for the Club he's loved since he could first stand up - the Club that Dad, Steve, served with distinction both on and off the field, I think it's fair to say Mitch is a much loved player. He played a lot of his early football in the midfield but has now developed into a very effective small forward. Excellent on the lead, strong in one on ones, accurate and can kick a clutch goal he loves the Club and it shows when he plays.
    It takes a special person to come back from a horrendous leg injury - and Mitch is that person.

21. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ted was a great player. The best for mine. I saw over half his career and just loved going to the footy just to see him play. He could play any position on the ground from the backline, the forward line and ruck rover. The ground were often muddy but that never stopped Ted's skills including kicking those torps for goal. His drop kicking was sublime too covering 65 metres plus regularly. As well as being the best player in the league he also was the team enforcer. Elbows, forearms it didn't matter but it was always in front of the umpire never behind the play. We had such a young team in those days and Ted looked after the youngsters. These day he would be rubbed out constantly but footy was different then. I am sure Ted would have been a champion whatever era he played in.
    When I was a kid Ted kicked the footy to me whike I was watching training and kicking it with my mates. Bloody thing came at me like a tracer bullet and knocked me off my feet.

Maybe he was a bit like Crazy Horse who, when Barassi got stuck into him with, "What's wrong with you Cowton? Are you ignorant or just plain apathetic?"
    To which Crazy replied: "I don't know and I don't care."

Ron's response to that has not been recorded as far as I know.
    Alan Jeans got stuck into a kickless Rod Galt at halftime once "I need more effort from you in the second half Rod" Galt said "you'll get it Yab. I wasn't really trying in the first half" He didn't play in the second half.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

23. Likes merantau, Bulldog4life liked this post