Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks merantau, loving reading these.
    By the time we finish this thread we'll have a potted history of every player of significance over the last 70 years. I'm in for the long haul!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ian Bryant had a ten year career with us from 1960 to 1969. Heplayed 160 games, represented the Vics in 1966 and won All Australian honours. He played on the wing in our 1961 centre line alongside Alex Gardiner and Bob Spargo, the best centreline we assembled in the era of positional football.
    Ian stood 5'10" and weighed 74kg but he looked a lot bigger. He was broard shouldered and a tough, straight ahead type with clean hands. He was a magnificent drop kick and often represented the Club on WOS's Champion Kick. He was an excellent player

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks merantau, loving reading these.
    Seconded, these are awesome.

I can't wait until we get to #22 .
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Seconded, these are awesome.

I can't wait until we get to #22 .
    Mark Cullen, didn't know you enjoyed watching him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Although he only wore #5 for one season with us - 1972 - any discussion of significant Bulldogs players would be remiss without a recount of the career of Robert "Bones McGhie".
    His junior football club was Tottenham Technical School which, owing to the dedication of teachers and parents, entered a team in the FDL. They were defeated by one point by Braybrook in the 1966 GF.
    Robbie arrived at the Dogs in 1969 and debuted as a tough, tatt emblazoned, defender who played close and kicked the ball long. Sideboards and a bit of a mullet rounded him out as one tough-looking hombre.
    He wore #40 from '69 - 71 and #5 in '72. He left at the end of the season after an altercation with the Club President, I believe.

Robbie spent the next six years at Richmond and played in their '73 and '74 Premierships. He then returned to us in 1979 for 12 games wearing #24. Next he spent two years at South playing 16 games wearing #1 and #4

All up "Bones" played 4 stints for 3 Clubs over thirteen seasons. He racked up 146 games (49 with us) in his colourful, eventful career. He was appointed coach of VFA club Sunshine when they were trying to re-establish but the Association rejected their application.
    Robbie went on to coach St Albans in the FDL which eventually became the Western Region Football League, I believe.
    If you know more please contribute/correct as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Cullen, didn't know you enjoyed watching him
    You've been talking to Matt Paulding.

I went to school with Mark. Nice guy.

Maybe disregard because this could just have been the most random coincidence ever - I was just talking about Mark the other day (with Matt, obviously).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You've been talking to Matt Paulding.

I went to school with Mark. Nice guy.

Maybe disregard because this could just have been the most random coincidence ever - I was just talking about Mark the other day (with Matt, obviously).
    It is random EW. When I see the 22, I think of a blonde headed Mark.

PS: Who is Matt Paulding?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    And so on to #5. Peter Box, educated at Wesley College, came to us via the Cheltenham FC in 1951. Standing 180cm and weighing 79kg he developed into a brilliant centreman after missing the entire '52 season due to injury suffered in a car accident.

He played CHF in our '54 Flag win, won the B&F in '55 and the Brownlow in '56 but I think Don Ross won our B&F that year.
    In 1958 Peter left to Captain Camberwell in the VFA. He won the B&F and then retired from football at age 26.

I heard from a friend of mine, and another source, that Peter became a recluse later in life. My friend met him down in the Inverleigh area when he was shearing. Peter was in the sheds but he kept to himself. I understand he had little to do with the Club once his playing days were done. Seems a strange combination- Wesley College, Brownlow Medalist, shearer.
    Peter played 107 games for us and will always be remembered as a champion of the Club. He passed away in 2018, aged 86.
    Something else I failed to mention about Peter Box. He represented Australia at the 1956 Olympics in a demonstration baseball game against the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

It is random EW. When I see the 22, I think of a blonde headed Mark.

PS: Who is Matt Paulding?
    Ha ha nobody just a guy from my work that I was talking to about Mark Cullen - but we're not even taking about the same Mark Cullen.

Mark Cullen that went to my school was rookie listed by Carlton.

I need to have a lie down.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"In 1958 Peter left to Captain Camberwell in the VFA. He won the B&F and then retired from football at age 26"

I am wrong about this. He went shearing up in the Riverina. Here's a clip about his time with Narrandera Imperials.

https://www.nswfootballhistory.com.au/tag/peter-box/

Post Thanks / Like

And so on to #5. Peter Box, educated at Wesley College, came to us via the Cheltenham FC in 1951. Standing 180cm and weighing 79kg he developed into a brilliant centreman after missing the entire '52 season due to injury suffered in a car accident.
    Motorbike accident.

He played CHF in our '54 Flag win, won the B&F in '55 and the Brownlow in '56 but I think Don Ross won our B&F that year.
    In 1958 Peter left to Captain Camberwell in the VFA. He won the B&F and then retired from football at age 26.
    There is a story about Peter Box's departure from the club I've heard from a couple of people. He felt slighted about something that happened that doesn't exactly reflect well on a club legend and he went to the club president and said something along the lines of "I'm not playing with him anymore. Either he goes or I go" the answer he got was "sorry you feel that way Peter, but it's going to be you. We aren't going to sack him"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something else I failed to mention about Peter Box. He represented Australia at the 1956 Olympics in a demonstration baseball game against the USA.
    Not good enough, I think you better start the thread again just to make sure you haven't missed any other details!

Keep up the good work mate, really enjoying this one.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Motorbike accident.

There is a story about Peter Box's departure from the club I've heard from a couple of people. He felt slighted about something that happened that doesn't exactly reflect well on a club legend and he went to the club president and said something along the lines of "I'm not playing with him anymore. Either he goes or I go" the answer he got was "sorry you feel that way Peter, but it's going to be you. We aren't going to sack him"
    Out with it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter Featherby arrived from Subiaco in 1975 and appeared in 42 games over 2 seasons in the #5 jersey. He played in the centre and was the ball magnet's ball magnet.
    His disposal effectiveness let him down somewhat. In a masterful example of 'damning with faint praise' Jack Dyer once commented that "Featherby's great value lies in the fact that when he's got the ball the opposition hasn't."
    He went back to Subiaco for 2 years then went to Geelong where he was much more successful winning their B&F in 1981 and playing 93 games in 5 years.

He returned to Subiaco in 1984 and played for another 5 years finally hanging up his boots when Subi won the 1988 Premiership - his 3rd with the Club. All up he played 332 games of top level football and kicked 271 goals in an 18 year career.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Out with it.
    I've said enough. Just out two and two together and you'll get there.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.