Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

1n 1994 Brad Johnson debuted wearing #33. In '95 he donned #6 and wore it for the remainder of his 364 game 558 goal career.
    At 182 cm and 87kg what he lacked in height was compensated for by a big leap and a vice like grip. Has there ever been a surer pair of hands in the RWB?
    Johnno could do the lot. He played many roles over his long career but he really shone when played as a deep forward. He was very quick off the mark and had tremendous balance, agility and strength when the ball was in dispute - truly the prototype of the modern AFL footballer.
    Johnno had the best 300th game of any player ever booting 3 goals intime on the send the Crows packing. An absolutely brilliant player who achieved greatness in his playing days. Three times B&F, five times leading goal kicker, multiple All-Australian, Bulldog Team of the Century - he's a Bulldog Legend
    Last edited by merantau; 16-02-2021 at 09:33 PM.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1925. Almost 100 years ago now.

I think B4L saw those premierships live
    I remember being at the western oval in about 1990 and Hopkins did a lap of honour in the back of a car. He was into his '80's and still playing golf up on the Murray.
    Good old banana legs.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1925. Almost 100 years ago now.

I think B4L saw those premierships live
    Didn't notice the years until just now. The VFA premierships were '23/'24. We were in the VFL by 1925.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    1n 1994 Brad Johnson debuted wearing #33. In '95 he donned #6 and wore it for the remainder of his 364 game 558 goal career.
    At 182 cm and 87kg what he lacked in height was compensated for by a big leap and a vice like grip. Has there ever been a surer pair of hands in the RWB?
    Johnno could do the lot. He played many roles over his long career but he really shone when played as a deep forward. He was very quick off the mark and had tremendous balance, agility and strength when the ball was in dispute - truly the prototype of the modern AFL footballer.
    Johnno had the best 300th game of any player ever booting 3 goals intime on the send the Crows packing. An absolutely brilliant player who achieved greatness in his playing days. Three times B&F, five times leading goal kicker, multiple All-Australian, Bulldog Team of the Century - he's a Bulldog Legend
    Johnno was a freak, and would have had more AAs if he had have continued playing further up the ground. However, his move deep forward in my view made him a more valuable player and a better player overall. Not many players play as a KPF at 182cm, and become an AA player in doing so.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by merantau; 17-02-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good summation of why he is such an admired person.

https://youtu.be/-CMFHz6Cmy0

Post Thanks / Like

"There's no such thing as a 'bad' goal." (Brian Clough, Nottingham Forest & England)

https://youtu.be/juTWXkqrLWU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Didn't notice the years until just now. The VFA premierships were '23/'24. We were in the VFL by 1925.
    Thanks, was a typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a recollection from ex-Braybrook player Ian Major, who went on to radio broadcasting fame with Jack Dyer, as one half of "The Captain and the Major" on 3xy. Fabulous football commentary.

"George Bisset is worth a book on his own. I played footy and cricket with and against George. When he was under sixteen they said at 168 centimeters he wouldn't make it in under eighteen. In that grade they said he wouldn't make it in seniors. Over two hundred VFL games later George had won a Best and Fairest with Footscray, plus the fact he should have won the Brownlow Medal to beat Kevin Murray in 1969. George was reported for striking Ian Robertson of Carlton when all media gave him best on ground. He was subsequently cleared but in those days, if the umpire reported you he didn't give you a vote and that's what happened, George didn't get a vote and lost the Brownlow with Kevin on nineteen and George on eighteen.

George was game for anything. He had horses and rode them everywhere, along with Ivan Marsh and another teammate, Jeff Radford, who became an Australian rodeo star. On one occasion, Georgie played Footscray thirds and then came to play with Braybrook seniors in the afternoon. If Footscray only knew their star rover was actually breaking wild horses on Sundays they would have had a fit. If memory serves me correctly, he was also playing a Sunday league game as well as Saturdays with the Bulldogs, until the administration found out. George played lawn bowls when anyone in their twenties, or under, playing bowls was looked upon as strange. If you ever see the Violent Saturday video with Big Carl Ditterich cutting loose in the VFL, watch closely the piece against the Bulldogs. After Carl belts someone, a little bloke with the ball throws it away and heads to take on the big strongman of the league. George was the only one in the VFL who ever went looking for Big Carl!"

12. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Dahlhaus arrived in 2011 and wore number 40 for two seasons before taking over #6 for the remainder of his time with us. He played 154 games and kicked 110 goals before leaving for Geelong at the end of '18.

He was a tremendously courageous player for us and had an excellent finals series in 2016.

I first saw him playing for Williamstown and was immediately impressed by his workrate. He showed tremendous desire to win the ball and to tackle when he didn't have it. I always knew he would be a good player.

It is a pity the way it ended with us however I think he played his best football with us. His output at Geelong has been steady - no more than that IMO.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke was an unrestricted free agent when he left.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record: in George's 10 seasons with us we finished (position - wins) - 9-7, 7-9, 10-4, 10-4, 12-4, 10-5, 11-6, 7-11, 8-11 and 7-11.

When George went to Collingwood he played in a winning Semi-Final against Carlton in which he was the leading goal kicker with 3 and in the losing Prelim the following week against Richmond he was the leading possession winner with 31.
    I was talking to a friend of mine a while ago about going to see Jamarah Ugle Hagan's debut in March just so we can say we were there and we got to talking about Kelvin Templeton's debut. He sent me this link, page 13 (bottom right corner) talks about KT's first game but there is also an article written by George Bissett on the same page about the final he played v Richmond.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Dahlhaus arrived in 2011 and wore number 40 for two seasons before taking over #6 for the remainder of his time with us. He played 154 games and kicked 110 goals before leaving for Geelong at the end of '18.

He was a tremendously courageous player for us and had an excellent finals series in 2016.

I first saw him playing for Williamstown and was immediately impressed by his workrate. He showed tremendous desire to win the ball and to tackle when he didn't have it. I always knew he would be a good player.

It is a pity the way it ended with us however I think he played his best football with us. His output at Geelong has been steady - no more than that IMO.
    Dahl was pretty much the complete small player as a junior, with one limitation and that was his kicking. We did really well to land him when we did, and he was a great fit for us at the time we needed him to be.

By the time 2016 rolled around he was a very good ordinary player, but something went wrong and he tapered off a bit. Some of the reports about his attitude and behaviour around the club are unedifying for him (and in honesty, the club and his team mates), and that's a shame.

Until he's done with his career he's dead to me, once he's done he's back in the fold and a champion of the club who carries a mark against his name.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And so to our current #6, Bailey Smith. He debuted in 2019 and has strung together 41 games averaging 20.5 possessions.

Has the attitude and attributes to travel far in this game and be considered, in the future, alongside the greats who've worn the #6.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Duffy played half forward flank in our 1954 Premiership and wore #7. He was recruited in 1952 from Sydney club Newtown where he played as full forward and won the Club's goal kicking in seasons '51 and '52. A true six footer, he weighed in at 82kg.

He won our goal kicking in his first season with 20 goals. All up he played 117 games from '52 to '58 and kicked 117 goals. He passed away in 2003, aged 72.