Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Tom Boyd arrived in 2015 and played 52 games in the #17 kicking 42 goals. He became the focus of a lot of harsh media attention but had the last laugh in the 2016 Finals campaign where he was simply brilliant. He carried a huge load in the Prelim after Roughie went down. Then he saved his best for the GF where he was a tower of strength kicking 3 goals, including the game breaker and taking a heap of contested marks.

Tom will always be loved and admired for what he did under enormous pressure. Hero.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Likes EasternWest, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Ken Duff from Parkside wore #16 for 67 games between 1961 and 1965. He was 19th man in our 1961 GF team. He played as a forward/ruck rover.
    The next #16 of note was David Thorpe. From North Footscray FC he debuted in 1965 wearing #39 but switched to #16 the following year.

He was a fine centreman and a prolific ball winner. He played 151 games and kicked 79 goals before moving to Richmond in 1974 where he played in Premiership. In three years at Richmond he played 27 games and kicked 24 goals.

He won our B&F in 1968 and 1971 and was All Australian in 1972.
    Ron Stockman, from West Footscray FC, debuted in '53 wearing the #17. He played 73 games and kicked 1 goal - in the '54 GF!

Usually played off half back but played half forward in the GF. Went to South for 3 years beginning in '58 where he played a further 23 games - but no more goals. Retired at end of '61 season. Born in 1934 so coming up for 87 on August 19.
    Wait, are we just bypassing Ryan Griffen?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Tom will always be loved and admired for what he did under enormous pressure. Hero.
    Can't like this enough.

Post Thanks / Like

The next #16 of note was David Thorpe. From North Footscray FC he debuted in 1965 wearing #39 but switched to #16 the following year.

He was a fine centreman and a prolific ball winner. He played 151 games and kicked 79 goals before moving to Richmond in 1974 where he played in Premiership. In three years at Richmond he played 27 games and kicked 24 goals.

He won our B&F in 1968 and 1971 and was All Australian in 1972.
    I was real dirty when he left. Loved watching him play. His baulk was a thing of beauty. Terrific player.

Post Thanks / Like

From '58 to '65 Graham Ion played 107 games in the #17 and kicked 85 goals as an undersized (5'10" 76kg) CHF. He was a member of our #61 GF team and was a very good footballer. He played for Victoria and in Rd 13 1961, he captained the Dogs as a 20 yr old when Ted Whitten was away on interstate duties with the Vics.
    Another fine player for us. Problem was a number of good players didn't stick around long enough in those days. Received higher remuneration being captain/coach of a country team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Wait, are we just bypassing Ryan Griffen?
    Also Terry Wallace and my mate Matty Croft
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I was real dirty when he left. Loved watching him play. His baulk was a thing of beauty. Terrific player.
    I think that's fair enough. I'm not sure why he was overlooked because we can't whitewash history.

Gun player for us and really led us in finals when other big name players didn't.

I was very disappointed when he left too, but we all know how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also Terry Wallace and my mate Matty Croft
    Oh yeah! Loved Crofty.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I had a brain fade after repriseing David Thorpe!! Late night or early morning fog! Can't recall. I'll get back to Crofty and Griff. And Plough.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I had a brain fade after repriseing David Thorpe!! Late night or early morning fog! Can't recall. I'll get back to Crofty and Griff. And Plough.
    No worries Merantau, easily done - we are loving this thread
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

From Subiaco where he played in the 1973 Premiership Dennis Blair had 3 seasons in the #16 from '76 - '78 and played 41 games as a defender. Solid player. Still loves the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Burton played from '80 to '84 and wore #16 for 4 seasons. 67 games in total. A good wingman with plenty of pace he went to Richmond and had 4 years with them. Was their leading possession winner in 1987 playing in the back pocket. Played in Williamstown's 1990 Premiership. Played 117 AFL games in total. Was our runner for a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace played 69 games in the #16 over 4 seasons between '88 and '91. Here's a run down of his football achievements:

3×*!VFL*!premiership player:*!1978,*!1983,*!19862×*!Peter Crimmins Perpetual Memorial Trophy: 1981, 19832×*!Charles Sutton Medal: 1988, 1989All-Australian team*!(player): 1988All-Australian team*!(coach): 1998VFL Team of the Year: 1982, 1983Australian Football Hall of Fame

The fact that he won our B&F in his first two years with us speaks volumes to his commitment and professionalism. I liked him both as a player and a coach. He certainly took over at a low point in our journey and took us to places where we hadn't been for a while.

I like the way he turned us into a feared team. He was a real thinker and motivator as a coach. It ended badly as he failed to read the room but I get the impression he is still respected by a lot of people at the Club.

He certainly put in both as a player and a coach.

He never left any room for doubt re how passionate he was about winning.

https://twitter.com/adamzwar/status/...752761344?s=20

16. Likes EasternWest, N/A, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Croft was with us from '91 to '04. He debuted wearing #37 but then took over #16 the next year. He only played a handful of games in his first three years but thereafter became a permanent fixture in the side. He played 186 games and kicked 72 goals 41 behinds.

He was a very versatile player. A very strong and tough defender he played on all the gun forwards and made them earn every kick.

He was good when thrown forward and was an accurate kick for goal. I once saw him charge through a pack at the Geelong Rd end and lose control of the ball. It ended up behind his back. Somehow he managed to pin it to his back with his right hand, retrieve the ball under great pressure and slam it on his boot. Unfortunately he missed narrowly. It would have been goal of the year for mine.

In his last year he only played a few games but he and Simon Garlick were recalled for a farewell game in the last round. Crofty booted a casual 5 goals in a BOG performance.

He served as Club Director for a few years and was with us in 2016. He stepped down from the Board in 2019: a great and much admired Bulldog.

18. Likes EasternWest, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Croft was with us from '91 to '04. He debuted wearing #37 but then took over #16 the next year. He only played a handful of games in his first three years but thereafter became a permanent fixture in the side. He played 186 games and kicked 87 goals.

He was a very versatile player. A very strong and tough defender he played on all the gun forwards and made them earn every kick.

He was good when thrown forward and was an accurate kick for goal. I once saw him charge through a pack at the Geelong Rd end and lose control of the ball. It ended up behind his back. Somehow he managed to pin it to his back with his right hand, retrieve the ball under great pressure and slam it on his boot. Unfortunately he missed narrowly. It would have been goal of the year for mine.
    Played his last game with Simon Garlick also playing his last. From memory they kicked 5 goals each.