Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Ilija Grjic played 62 games for us between '93 and '96 and wore #1 for 3 of those seasons - 94 - 96. One of the tallest to pull on the RWB he went to West Coast for two seasons before spending his last year at Essendon.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

In 1999 we picked up Nicky Winmar. He played 21 games for 34 goals. In the big picture his legacy as an agent of change will be far more significant than his achievements as a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Number #6

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    From memory the guy associated with Eastcoast Jeans was Danny someone?

Newspaper article that refers to the incentive payment

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...ootball%20club
    The Owner of Eastcoast was Denny Schwartz who was major sponsor for 4 years at a period in our history when sponsors were hard to come by. His parents started the business in the rag trade with a clothing shop in Hopkins Street Footscray with just one store.

4. Thanks merantau, GVGjr, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Farren Ray wore #1 with us for 75 games between '04 and '08. He went to St Kilda and ended up at North for his final year - 2016. He played some good footy for us. I particularly remember a very good game against Collingwood in a final at the "G".
    All up he played 209 games and kicked 59 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Jarrod Grant played '81 games for us from '09 to '15 before spending 2 years at the Suns for a further 11. He kicked '83 goals. He was the archetypal "mercurial" talent. An enigma wrapped up in a Gordion knot he could perform freakish acts when he was "on".

Post Thanks / Like

Matt Suckling appeared 76 times for us between '16 and '20. He kicked 34 goals and did all that was asked of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Justin Charles had a 9 year career with us and the Tigers for 90 games all up - 36 with us. - spread over 5 seasòns. He began as #17 but then changed to #1. He debuted in the ruck as an 18 year old. Son of Bulldog player John Charles. Also was an excellent basebaĺ player.
    John was a plumber who advertised in the local paper with a Bulldog logo so we got him in to install a stove for us. I was talking to him about his VFL footy career and the topic of Justin came up. John said "what's Justin up to these days do you know?" I told him that he was playing league football and he said "is he? I don't pay much attention to footy these days, I'm more interested in surfing"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

John was a plumber who advertised in the local paper with a Bulldog logo so we got him in to install a stove for us. I was talking to him about his VFL footy career and the topic of Justin came up. John said "what's Justin up to these days do you know?" I told him that he was playing league football and he said "is he? I don't pay much attention to footy these days, I'm more interested in surfing"
    Wow, that is very surprising. I saw an interview with Justin recently and he spoke very positively about his relationship with his father when he was a kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is very surprising. I saw an interview with Justin recently and he spoke very positively about his relationship with his father when he was a kid.
    Yeah it struck me as a very odd thing to say. That's why it stuck in my head.

Post Thanks / Like

And so on to #2 - the great Jack Collins. I can do no better than go to Wikipedia as it gives a full run down of this marvellous player and man. So thanks to whoever did the research.

John Charles "Jack" Collins (5 January 1930 – 6 July 2008) was an Australian rules footballer who represented Footscray in the Victorian Football League (VFL).

Jack CollinsPersonal informationFull nameJohn Charles CollinsDate of birth5 January 1930Date of death6 July 2008 (aged 78)Place of deathWerribeeOriginal team(s)Yarraville Football ClubPlaying careerYearsClubGames (Goals)1950–1958Footscray154 (385)Career highlights

VFL leading goalkicker: 1954Coleman Medal: 1957VFL premiership player: 19545× Footscray leading goalkicker: 1953, 1954, 1955, 1957, 19582× Charles Sutton Medal: 1951, 1952

Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com

His father, Jim Collins, who had been the captain-coach of the Yarraville Football Club from 1918 to 1919, played 30 senior games for Essendon from 1919 to 1921.[1]

Collins was recruited to Footscray in 1950 from the Yarraville Football Club and, for the next two years, he won the club's best-and-fairest award (later designated the Charles Sutton Medal).

In 1953, Collins fronted the VFL Tribunal twice. In June he was cleared of a striking charge against South Melbourne captain Ron Clegg,[2] but later in the season was involved in an incident with Collingwood's Frank Tuck. Both players were reported following a fierce fight[3][4] and were subsequently suspended.[5][6] Collins' four-week suspension meant he would miss the finals of the 1953 VFL season in which Footscray finished third.[7]

Collins' return to the side in Round 3 the following season could not have happened sooner. One of the flag favourites, Footscray had lost their first two games to St Kilda and Richmond before they beat South Melbourne by 87 points, Collins starring with eight goals. The following week he would kick nine before half time against Carlton.[8] Collins kicked four goals in the semi-final win over Geelong and then starred in the 1954 VFL Grand Final, kicking seven goals as Footscray claimed their first premiership. Collins ended the season as the VFL Leading Goalkicker with 84 goals. He was the leading goalkicker, again, in the 1957 VFL season with a total of 74 goals.[9]

After retiring from football after 154 games and 385 goals,[10] Collins served as a players representative, then secretary, and finally president of the club. Collins was active in moves to save the Footscray Football Club when the club nearly merged with Fitzroy in 1989.[11]

Collins was a personal friend of murdered lawyer Keith William Allan, and gave evidence at each of the three trials in the Supreme Court of Victoria in which three persons were charged with Allan's murder.[12]

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember when Jack Collins had the Footscray Sports Depot in Nicholson Street. I bought my first ever cricket bat there after working a few weekends with my dad painting houses. A Stuart Surridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember when Jack Collins had the Footscray Sports Depot in Nicholson Street. I bought my first ever cricket bat there after working a few weekends with my dad painting houses. A Stuart Surridge.
    My first good bat was also a Stuart Surridge bought for me by my brother from Clive Fairbairn - birthday present.

I had the pleasure of watching Jack Collins play. He was an outstanding player in the air and on the ground. Had a lot of tricks and could turn defenders inside out. One of the great Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

My mum worked there. Jack would pick me up after school sometimes, it's about the only time I ever had ice-cream as a kid. She ended up calling bingo for him to when he bought the reception centre in Barkley St
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    My mum worked there. Jack would pick me up after school sometimes, it's about the only time I ever had ice-cream as a kid. She ended up calling bingo for him to when he bought the reception centre in Barkley St
    Love all these connections
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collins was a personal friend of murdered lawyer Keith William Allan, and gave evidence at each of the three trials in the Supreme Court of Victoria in which three persons were charged with Allan's murder.[12]
    Wowsers. Surely you've got the inside scoop on this saga Twodogs?