Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Now I get it! I can see I have some homework to do to get up to speed with everything Dylan Addison.
    and another much loved favourite Ben Harrison
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    EasternWest ran the Dylan Addison Appreciation Society for many years.
    What do you mean, "ran"?

This burning is an eternal flame.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    What do you mean, "ran"?

This burning is an eternal flame.
    Dylan lives! Like the British Empire, on which, at its peak, the sun never set, there is not a moment in time whereby someone, somewhere in the world, is not thinking thoughts of Dylan.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

From '57 to '64 John Hoiles, from Sunbury, played 117 games. He played his first season in #39 but thereafter in #23.
    He had a very unusual kicking style, was strong and good in the air. He played a crackerjack game in the '61 Prelim at CHB. Played 101 games on the trot between '59 and his departure to captain/coach Corowa in the Ovens and Murray. He played in a Premiership with them in 1968 - their first in 36 years. I met him in Bendigo in 2016 when a photo shoot of supporters was organised by the Bendigo Advertiser prior to the GF - a very passionate Bulldog. Turns 82 this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Between '62 and '77 Stuart Magee played 216 games and kicked 149 goals - 132 of them and 77 goals were in his 8 seasons with us - the rest in his 7 seasons with South.

"Magee, who played as a centreman and rover, made his debut for South Melbourne in 1962. By 1966 he was representing Victoria at interstate football but soon after he lost his way and was let go by South Melbourne. He was signed up by Footscray and became captain of the club during the 1970 season. In 1976 he moved to the WANFL and joined the Swan Districts as captain-coach." (Wikipedia)

Stuart was born in Ireland and lived in Altona. I think he was a convert from soccer. He had plenty of pace and an excellent all round game. Certainly served us well. Wore #6 in his first year with us. Thereafter #23.

Post Thanks / Like

From '75 to '79 Lee Perussich played 45 games. He wore #23 for 4 seasons and kicked 12 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

From '84 to '91 Simon Atkins had a solid career in the #23 playing 127 games and booting 76 goals out of the centre.

He was a real "in and under" centreman with great handball skills and formed part of an elite group of on-ballers when teamed with Scott Wynd and Tony Liberatore. He was twice runner-up in our B&F.

Went to Fitzroy for his last two years and kicked the last goal ever by Fitzroy player.

Post Thanks / Like

From '84 to '91 Simon Atkins had a solid career in the #23 playing 127 games and booting 76 goals out of the centre.

He was a real "in and under" centreman with great handball skills and formed part of an elite group of on-ballers when teamed with Scott Wynd and Tony Liberatore. He was twice runner-up in our B&F.

Went to Fitzroy for his last two years and kicked the last goal ever by Fitzroy player.
    Loved Axe. He was a very good player.

I have a good Simon Atkins tale.

He was my mum's favourite player. One night me and the lads were out on the town and end up at an inner city bar somewhere, low and behold there's Axe having a beer with a mate. I thought right, this is a good way to get some brownie points with my lovely mother so I had a chat to Simon and asked him to speak to her on the phone.

I dialed her up, and said mum - there's someone who wants to talk to you. He introduced himself, after 15 seconds he looked at me laughing, and tried again desperate to convince the non believer on the other end it was genuinely him.

After a couple of minutes he handed me back the phone laughing as there was no convincing mum it was genuine. She was sure it was one of my friends having a lend of her.

Her face when I saw her next !

Nice guy, gave us a good story and always a great servant for the dogs.

10. Likes EasternWest, Mofra, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From '57 to '64 John Hoiles, from Sunbury, played 117 games. He played his first season in #39 but thereafter in #23.
    He had a very unusual kicking style, was strong and good in the air. He played a crackerjack game in the '61 Prelim at CHB. Played 101 games on the trot between '59 and his departure to captain/coach Corowa in the Ovens and Murray. He played in a Premiership with them in 1968 - their first in 36 years. I met him in Bendigo in 2016 when a photo shoot of supporters was organised by the Bendigo Advertiser prior to the GF - a very passionate Bulldog. Turns 82 this year.
    Tough centre half back. I remember Jack Dyer used to call him Hoil lees. With John Jillard next to him they were a good unit. Well the whole backline was really in those days.

12. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From '75 to '79 Lee Perussich played 45 games. He wore #23 for 4 seasons and kicked 12 goals.
    He and his dad were both good cricketers with Yarraville in the sub district. His dad delivered the bread when I lived in Yarraville as a kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

He was my mum's favourite player. One night me and the lads were out on the town and end up at an inner city bar somewhere, low and behold there's Axe having a beer with a mate. I thought right, this is a good way to get some brownie points with my lovely mother so I had a chat to Simon and asked him to speak to her on the phone.

I dialed her up, and said mum - there's someone who wants to talk to you. He introduced himself, after 15 seconds he looked at me laughing, and tried again desperate to convince the non believer on the other end it was genuinely him.

After a couple of minutes he handed me back the phone laughing as there was no convincing mum it was genuine. She was sure it was one of my friends having a lend of her.

Classic. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

These days it would be a selfie.

I remember Axe came over from Tassie, with his twin brother. His brother played reserves but never got a senior game.

One day we were playing a crucial match at Western Oval (as it was called then), and a mate came over and said Axe is out, I just saw him in his civvies. It turned out to be his twin.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

From '95 to '99 Michael Martin played 48 games in #23. A high draft pick he debuted as an 18 year old He played some good footy at times but was eventually traded to Brisbane in a deal that secured Trent Bartlett and, later, Daniel Giansiracusa.

Michael was struck down by osteitus pubis an injury that drew down the curtain on his AFL career.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan McMahon was a first round draft pick who played 114 games in the #23 between 2001 and 2007 before being traded to Richmond. He had plenty of pace off half-back and was a solid contributor who was used to shut down and run off the smaller forwards.

Terry Wallace was keen to get him to Richmond. He had 2 good years there but after Hardwick took over he never got another game with the seniors. Should have offered to mow his lawns. It worked wonders for Kevin Walsh at Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

From '10 to '18 Premiership Hero Jordan Roughead played 138 games as our #23. Played as a key defender early on and later on in the ruck. When the whips were cracking in 2016 he really stood up to be counted. He had some telling moments in the Finals and to make it to the line for the GF and play so well was a testament to his character.

Post 2016 saw him battle injury which was very frustrating for all concerned. A lot of people were unhappy when he went to Collingwood - me included.