Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

I worked at that bingo centre in Barkly St back in the 70's..helped fund my first oversees backpacking adventure

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned it before but my Grandad worked in Footscray at the Commomwealth Bank I think for about a year. He was helping a lot of the newly settled Southern European migrants in Footscray at the time. I was in Footscray on Sunday and drove along Barkly st so probably went past that bingo centre a few woofers have mentioned.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Wowsers. Surely you've got the inside scoop on this saga Twodogs?
    I can give you all the info on this case as I followed it closely. It was a highly unusual case as, after 3 trials, three men were convicted of murder although the body has never been found. Jack was a close friend of the murdered man.

And probably, most bizarrely of all, the murderers came unstuck due to the advanced technology employed by Mercedes Benz engineers and the acute observation of a couple of night duty cops who were cruising down Millers Rd Altona at about 3am one morning. Read about it here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...31-gdyd3f.html
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Thanks Bulldog4life, Axe Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Wowsers. Surely you've got the inside scoop on this saga Twodogs?
    I had read about it before but I didn't know of Jack Collins' part in the trial.

The tow truck driver called William Brincat reminded me of Victor Brincat who is suspected of several of the gangland murders including Jason Moran. He was Carl Williams go to assassin.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    My first good bat was also a Stuart Surridge bought for me by my brother from Clive Fairbairn - birthday present.

I had the pleasure of watching Jack Collins play. He was an outstanding player in the air and on the ground. Had a lot of tricks and could turn defenders inside out. One of the great Bulldogs.
    John Dodd was Jack's cricket bat expert from memory. He captained Footscray 3rds and 4ths for years and helped a lot of young cricketers with advice and coaching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Mentioned it before but my Grandad worked in Footscray at the Commomwealth Bank I think for about a year. He was helping a lot of the newly settled Southern European migrants in Footscray at the time. I was in Footscray on Sunday and drove along Barkly st so probably went past that bingo centre a few woofers have mentioned.
    The bingo centre was in Paisley street.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The bingo centre was in Paisley street.
    Starts Paisley St as a one way street off Leeds St then becomes a two way street after French St.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I had read about it before but I didn't know of Jack Collins' part in the trial.

The tow truck driver called William Brincat reminded me of Victor Brincat who is suspected of several of the gangland murders including Jason Moran. He was Carl Williams go to assassin.
    When I was working at Sunshine North Tech in 1972 there was a kid who was always getting called up to the VP's office. But I interpreted the name I was hearing as "Vic de Brincat" as in a French or Spanish family name.
    I've always wondered whether the hitman, "Victor Brincat/Brinkat" was an old Sunny North boy. Certainly he is of the right age profile.

There is another connection too. One of the people allegedly shot by Victor B was an ex-student of mine at Essendon Tech - Pat Barbaro. Pat was a terrific kid. Good footballer, crazy Hawks supporter, great personality, full of life. Just happened to be sitting next to Jason Moran at the wrong time.
    Last edited by merantau; 08-02-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was working at Sunshine North Tech in 1972 there was a kid who was always getting called up to the VP's office. But I interpreted the name I was hearing as "Vic de Brincat" as in a French or Spanish family name.
    I've always wondered whether the hitman, "Victor Brincat/Brinkat" was an old Sunny North boy. Certainly he is of the right age profile.

There is another connection too. One of the people allegedly shot by Victor B was an ex-student of mine at Essendon Tech - Pat Barbaro. Pat was a terrific kid. Good footballer, crazy Hawks supporter, great personality, full of life. Just happened to be sitting next to Hason Moran at the wrong time.
    A few of those guys came from Sunshine, Veniaman, Dribo (?) and one or two others.

Post Thanks / Like

There is another connection too. One of the people allegedly shot by Victor B was an ex-student of mine at Essendon Tech - Pat Barbaro. Pat was a terrific kid. Good footballer, crazy Hawks supporter, great personality, full of life. Just happened to be sitting next to Hason Moran at the wrong time.
    A few Barbaro's went to my old school Sunshine West High back in the 70s
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Our next #2 of note was Merv Hobbs who debuted in Rd 8, 1961. Standing 175cm and weighing just 67kg he was just 4 days shy of his 19th birthday on debut.
    Merv never wanted to play with any team other than us so, when the League announced zoning changes that would have seen him tied to South, he packed up and headed to Daylesford in 1961. Daylesford then cleared him to us.
    He was forced to retire after doing his A-C L before the opening of the '66 season. He played 74 games for us, kicked 115 goals 32 behinds so was a real sharp shooter who won our goal kicking twice. In 1962 I saw him kick 8 at the Western Oval in a game against South - not many true rovers have kicked 8 in a game.

Merv is known throughout the football world for the sesational grab he took over Trevor Johnson in the '61 Prelim at the "G". The photo actuall catches him when he was on the way down! He was higher than the late, and much loved, Joe Cocker for that grab.
    Merv had a successful coaching career at Williamstown and served our club in many roles. Was pipped for the coaching job by Bob Rose, I believe.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

18. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Merv was a terrific rover/forward pocket player for us. Played in the 1961 grand final changing roving duties with Keith Beamish. Both local guys. As you said merantau Hobbsy was an extremely accurate shot for goal. These days he would have not have retired so young. He was only 23.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The photo was taken by a guy who was on the way to photograph a wedding and because he was running a bit early decided to stop at the MCG and try out some new equipment he'd bought through the week.

A couple of things:

Things must have been a bit more relaxed if a/ you could just decide at the last minute that you're going to "drop in" to the MCG as you drive by on prelim final day and b/ you can sit on the boundary because you've got a camera! Also what time was the wedding?

Post Thanks / Like

The next #2 of note to pull on the RWB was Bernie Quinlan who debuted in 1969 and was cleared to Fitzroy at the end of the 1977 season. He played 177 games for us and kicked 241 goals. He was a magnificent footballer standing 193cm and weighing in at 97kgs. He could literally do anything on the football field. He starred at Fitzroy playing 189 games and kicking 576 goals He retired at end of season '86 having played 366 games and kicking 817 . He won the Brownlow in '81 and twice kicked 100 goals - in '83 and '84.

It is a little painful recounting his achievements as he really came into his own at Fitzroy. In my time his loss to Fitzroy has been one of my biggest disappointments. It coincided with much wider and better TV coverage so most of his highlight packages are of him playing for the Roys. He was a sensational player in every aspect of the game - a match winner. Oh, and he could kick the ball a bit.

23. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post