Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Debuting in 2012 JJ has now played 151 games in the famous #39. Blessed with great speed he has been a very important part of our team because he has that rare speed that enables him to burst clear into open space and catch a defence out of position. His run that resulted in the Bont's goal against GWS is a classic example of this. He is a beautiful long kick and his after the siren goal to defeat Sydney at the SCG is a fond memory.
    He is working his way back into form after losing his way somewhat. An in form, confident, pro-active JJ is a big plus for our team.

Norm Smith Medallist in a Premiership team
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Dale Morris played 253 games for us in the #38. A much loved and respected footballer he was and will always be a Bulldog hero. Possibly the most complete defender we have ever had in that he could hold his own against the biggest, stongest forwards and was agile and quick enough to play on smaller opponents too. His toughness and ability to overcome injury were legendary. He was well known for his tackling and his 2nd and third efforts. He saved the day for us on countless occasions during his 15 year career during which he came back from some horrific injuries.

Notes from Wikipedia.

Morris spent four years playing for Werribee Football Club in the Victorian Football League before being added to the Bulldogs' rookie list in the 2004 Rookie Draft. He quickly cemented his place in the Western Bulldogs' lineup, impressing many with his pace and consistency as a defender, and finished with 17 games for season 2005. He was elevated to the senior list at the end of 2005.

Morris was selected in the back pocket of the 2008 All-Australian team.

Morris played in guernsey number 38 for the duration of his career.

In Round 21, 2011, against the Essendon Bombers, Morris suffered a broken tibia in his lower right leg which prematurely ended his season. Morris returned to play one quarter in a Development Match game in Round 6, 2012, but suffered a stress fracture in the same leg which he broke in horrific circumstances in 2011. The injury sidelined Morris for the rest of the season.

Morris made his return to AFL in Round 1, 2013. In what was overall a successful campaign for Morris, he provided defensive solidity to the Bulldog's back line, and also managed to play all 22 games for the season.

In 2016, Morris was part of the Western Bulldogs premiership team that ended their long-standing premiership drought of 62 years. After the game, it was revealed that Morris had played the entire finals series with a fractured vertebrae.

Morris is known for his quick recovery from injury. He suffered a partial tear in his ACL in 2018 yet came back to play the back-end of the 2018 season. In 2019, he suffered another ACL, and was out of action until Round 19, where he rupture his ACL for the third time in 18 months. Prior to the 2019 final series, Morris announced his retirement after 253 games.
    If not my favourite Bulldog ever, certainly top 3.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Johannisen 2016 v GWS.

https://youtu.be/M21wzr0iqFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Debuting in 2007 in the #40 Jarrod Harbrow played 70 games for us in four seasons before, as an uncontracted player, he elected to return to Queensland and play for the newly formed Suns.

We tried very hard to keep him as he had developed into one of the League's top rebounding defenders. A very fine footballer indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

So we've now completed nos. 31 thru 40. Nominations for #31 are closed. It's KT by the length of the straight. #32 thru #40. It's over to you.

Post Thanks / Like

#32 - Foster
    #33 - Royal
    #34 - Truck
    #35 - Steve Kretiuk
    #36 - Lake
    #37 - Hargraves (not many played in #37)
    #38 - Dale Morris
    #39 - Libba
    #40 -Harbrow as there is no one else.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I nominate Dale for best #38
    Seconded.
    Thirded.

Not long after the premiership I was at the Bulldog museum talking to a couple of Irish backpackers when the premiership team walked past all kitted out in their jumpers (I assume that they were off to get the commemorative photo taken) One of the backpackers asked me which one was the toughest player was and I pointed to Dale. They were a little on the sceptical side and said "him? He's the toughest out of all them blokes? Are you sure you're not bullshitting us?"

So I showed them the Buddy tackle on my phone and then told them that he had a broken bone in his back wipe he did it. One of them said "yep. That's tough"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    #32 - Foster
    #33 - Royal
    #34 - Truck
    #35 - Steve Kretiuk
    #36 - Lake
    #37 - Hargraves (not many played in #37)
    #38 - Dale Morris
    #39 - Libba
    #40 -Harbrow as there is no one else
    Brian Perrin. Somebody bought that sign every time he played that said "KEEP PERRIN IN THE SENIORS" or "PUT PERRIN IN THE SENIORS" If he didn't play to every game between 1980-1983. I have always assumed that it was his mum. There was Troy Moloney he wasn't a bad player and I'm pretty sure that Luke Darcy started in number 40 too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Brian Perrin. Somebody bought that sign every time he played that said "KEEP PERRIN IN THE SENIORS" or "PUT PERRIN IN THE SENIORS" If he didn't play to every game between 1980-1983. I have always assumed that it was his mum. There was Troy Moloney he wasn't a bad player and I'm pretty sure that Luke Darcy started in number 40 too.
    I remember both of those players and I remember seeing a counter sign that read "Keep Brian Perrin in the Seconds". I thought he was a pretty good player. He had plenty of pace and was a good kick. I saw him get smashed in one game and stretchered off. But he only played 36 games and Troy Moloney only played 34.
    As a rule of thumb I used 40 games as the general point needed to make the cut. There were some exceptions such as if a player had some distinguishing characteristic that I thought should be recognised.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris played 253 games for us in the #38. A much loved and respected footballer he was and will always be a Bulldog hero. Possibly the most complete defender we have ever had in that he could hold his own against the biggest, stongest forwards and was agile and quick enough to play on smaller opponents too. His toughness and ability to overcome injury were legendary. He was well known for his tackling and his 2nd and third efforts. He saved the day for us on countless occasions during his 15 year career during which he came back from some horrific injuries.

Notes from Wikipedia.

Morris spent four years playing for Werribee Football Club in the Victorian Football League before being added to the Bulldogs' rookie list in the 2004 Rookie Draft. He quickly cemented his place in the Western Bulldogs' lineup, impressing many with his pace and consistency as a defender, and finished with 17 games for season 2005. He was elevated to the senior list at the end of 2005.

Morris was selected in the back pocket of the 2008 All-Australian team.

Morris played in guernsey number 38 for the duration of his career.

In Round 21, 2011, against the Essendon Bombers, Morris suffered a broken tibia in his lower right leg which prematurely ended his season. Morris returned to play one quarter in a Development Match game in Round 6, 2012, but suffered a stress fracture in the same leg which he broke in horrific circumstances in 2011. The injury sidelined Morris for the rest of the season.

Morris made his return to AFL in Round 1, 2013. In what was overall a successful campaign for Morris, he provided defensive solidity to the Bulldog's back line, and also managed to play all 22 games for the season.

In 2016, Morris was part of the Western Bulldogs premiership team that ended their long-standing premiership drought of 62 years. After the game, it was revealed that Morris had played the entire finals series with a fractured vertebrae.

Morris is known for his quick recovery from injury. He suffered a partial tear in his ACL in 2018 yet came back to play the back-end of the 2018 season. In 2019, he suffered another ACL, and was out of action until Round 19, where he rupture his ACL for the third time in 18 months. Prior to the 2019 final series, Morris announced his retirement after 253 games.
    David Young, Orthopedic Surgeon, who treated Dale Morris claimed that in all the years he had treated top Sports people from Olympic Games athletes and beyond he had never seen any one like Morris who had the strength of character and durability to recover from so many serious injuries and continue to play so well.
    Certainly one of our best ever who was rarely beaten. Delighted to see him back on staff at the WB.

13. Likes Twodogs, bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember both of those players and I remember seeing a counter sign that read "Keep Brian Perrin in the Seconds". I thought he was a pretty good player. He had plenty of pace and was a good kick. I saw him get smashed in one game and stretchered off. But he only played 36 games and Troy Moloney only played 34.
    As a rule of thumb I used 40 games as the general point needed to make the cut. There were some exceptions such as if a player had some distinguishing characteristic that I thought should be recognised.
    Perrin came from North Melbourne I think.

And I remember reading that Troy Moloney's dad played with us wearing the #40 too. I think his name was Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Perrin came from North Melbourne I think.

And I remember reading that Troy Moloney's dad played with us wearing the #40 too. I think his name was Brian.
    Brian played 6 games in the #40
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The first #41 I can recall is Lyal Anderson who played 24 games between 1957 and 1959. He wore #41 for the first two and switched over to #7 in his last season. Another Bulldog from the famous Braybrook Football Club.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been unable to find a player who has played more than 24 games in the #41.

Post Thanks / Like

From 2009 to 2017 Liam Picken played 198 games in the #42. He was a terrific player, loved by teamates, coaches and supporters. He was just so totally reliable. You knew you would get 100% effort from him every time he ran out.

He first tried out at Collingwood but was rejected. Then he had two pre-seasons with us to no avail. So in 2008 he went to Williamstown where he won the B&F.

Williamstown insisted that we pick him in the 2009 Rookie Draft. We did and the rest is history.

He began as a tagger and quickly took some major scalps. He was the complete tagger who could win his own ball too.

It was no surprise when he was given a a more attacking role. He was a fierce competitor at ground level and was excellent in the air. He had pace and grit. He could lay tackle and his desire to win the hard ball was unequalled. His performance in the 2016 Finals was epic and he won the Best Finals Player Award.

Sadly he missed a lot of football due to concussions. He missed the entire 2018 season and ill health forced him into early retirement.

He was simply a marvellous player and will forever be remembered by all who saw him play. A Champion for sure.

19. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post