Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 545464748495051525354555657 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Between '85 and '91 Michael Ford played 96 games for us in the #45. "Fruitcake" was a fine defender for us. He had a lot of dash and ran in straight lines.

Notes from Wikipedia

"Ford, a defender from Bairnsdale, was already 22 when he started his AFL career. He played finals in his first year and appeared in a further six seasons for Footscray. St Kilda secured his services in the 1992 Pre-season Draft, with pick 10, but he would only play two senior games for his new club.

He spent the next stage of his career at Sandringham and was a member of their 1992 premiership side.

In 1994 he coached Oakleigh, in what would be their final season in the Victorian Football Association. A knee injury forced him to retire as a player.

He coached Springvale to a premiership in 1995, when they defeated his former club Sandringham in the grand final. Despite this he was sacked as coach and replaced by Brad Gotch.

Ford has been appointed coach of North Shore Australian Football Club for 2020.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm nearing the end of this long project and starting to run out of steam. If anyone can think of a player who has worn #46, #47, #48 or #50 for 40 games or more, or who has distinguished themself in some other way, I invite you to post.

Brian Cordy had a fine career in the #49. Between 1981 and 1988 he played 124 games and kicked 18 goals. He played every game in 1985 in a very good Bulldog team that went very close to making the GF.

Just about all of his football was played of half back. He had plenty of dash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Between '85 and '91 Michael Ford played 96 games for us in the #45. "Fruitcake" was a fine defender for us. He had a lot of dash and ran in straight lines.

Notes from Wikipedia

"Ford, a defender from Bairnsdale, was already 22 when he started his AFL career. He played finals in his first year and appeared in a further six seasons for Footscray. St Kilda secured his services in the 1992 Pre-season Draft, with pick 10, but he would only play two senior games for his new club.

He spent the next stage of his career at Sandringham and was a member of their 1992 premiership side.

In 1994 he coached Oakleigh, in what would be their final season in the Victorian Football Association. A knee injury forced him to retire as a player.

He coached Springvale to a premiership in 1995, when they defeated his former club Sandringham in the grand final. Despite this he was sacked as coach and replaced by Brad Gotch.

Ford has been appointed coach of North Shore Australian Football Club for 2020.
    He was a solid defender Michael. Famously in a relationship with Libby Gore back in the day.

4. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael "Magic" McLean was a top footballer for us. I first saw him playing in the twos and I was really impressed by his "never give up" attitude. If he didn't win the ball he just kept on chasing and chasing. And he had the pace to run opponents to ground!

From the Territory he grew up playing both rugby and Aussie Rules. His Dad wanted him to pursue rugby but Michael opted to play football for the Nightcliff Football Club. He played 95 games for us in the #51between 1983 and 1988 before being cleared to the Brisbane Bears where he won 2 B&Fs and played a further 87 games.

His career with us was affected by persistent calf injuries and these would plague him at Brisbane too and eventually lead to his retirement.

He maintained his involvement with football post-retirement returning to the Territory to coach various teams and continue his commitment to his Indigenous brothers and sisters. He played an important role in setting up the Aboriginal All Stars game in Darwin. He was also the inaugural coach of the NT Football Club that debuted in the QAFL in 2009

Michael McLean was an excellent player for us.
    Last edited by merantau; 19-05-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Jon Ballantyne as a player, #50. Surprised to see he only played 20 games for us.
    Averaged 2.3 goals per game for us so he was no slouch.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

#52 I'll note Mark Athorn, he only played a few games for us but he gave my dad reason to yell almost the entire game at him. It was not complimentary.

#58 is the highest number any Bulldog has worn in the VFL/AFL - Darren Stanley played 3 games in the number in 1991

Post Thanks / Like

#48 - Denis Collins played 38 games
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    #52 I'll note Mark Athorn, he only played a few games for us but he gave my dad reason to yell almost the entire game at him. It was not complimentary.

#58 is the highest number any Bulldog has worn in the VFL/AFL - Darren Stanley played 3 games in the number in 1991
    Libba 4 games in the #60

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

According to AFL Tables, Tony Liberatore debuted in 1986 and played 4 games in the #60! Sort of fits with the amazing Libber's journey which saw him head butt, and eventually knock down,
    a few million kilowatt dams!

On the weekend in the VFL game between BoxHill Hawks and North, there was a North player wearing #81. That's got to be a record surely?

Post Thanks / Like

So that brings me nearly to the end of this project. My next aim is to count up the number of players who've made the cut.

From that number I'll select my top 100 or maybe 150 players who have represented us since 1954 in order. Should create a bit of debate. Stay tuned.

12. Thanks bornadog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So that brings me nearly to the end of this project. My next aim is to count up the number of players who've made the cut.

From that number I'll select my top 100 or maybe 150 players who have represented us since 1954 in order. Should create a bit of debate. Stay tuned.
    Huge job, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Athorn played 83 games (17 with us) for four different clubs between 1987 and 1993. His last game was for Carlton in their 1993 GF loss to Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Huge job, much appreciated.
    No worries. I enjoyed doing it and will enjoy even more selecting my top 100 or 150.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to AFL Tables, Tony Liberatore debuted in 1986 and played 4 games in the #60! Sort of fits with the amazing Libber's journey which saw him head butt, and eventually knock down,
    a few million kilowatt dams!

On the weekend in the VFL game between BoxHill Hawks and North, there was a North player wearing #81. That's got to be a record surely?
    Cheers, I had no idea. Interesting.

I remember Chris Grant played a game at Williamstown in number 77 returning from injury once.

Post Thanks / Like

Rick Kennedy started in #54, Steve Kolyniuk started in #59 and one of my favourite players Kevin Sait wore #52 in his one season for before going back to dominate in the VFA. Stan Davidson who was a fair player and also went on to dominate in the VFA starts out in #53 before changing to #9.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

19. Thanks merantau thanked for this post