Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    So that brings me nearly to the end of this project. My next aim is to count up the number of players who've made the cut.

From that number I'll select my top 100 or maybe 150 players who have represented us since 1954 in order. Should create a bit of debate. Stay tuned.
    Awesome work really enjoyed reading and taking the trip down memory lane

2. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From '61 to '65 Barry Ion played 40 games in the #38. He played on the half back flank in our '61 GF team.
    At the same time he was a DJ at 3kz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Rick Kennedy started in #54, Steve Kolyniuk started in #59 and one of my favourite players Kevin Sait wore #52 in his one season for before going back to dominate in the VFA. Stan Davidson who was a fair player and also went on to dominate in the VFA starts out in #53 before changing to #9.
    I remember Kevin kicking three goals in a quarter in one of his games at the Western Oval. He was a very courageous player. I think he weighed about 60kg wringing wet.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I liked Jon Ballantyne as a player, #50. Surprised to see he only played 20 games for us.
    Averaged 2.3 goals per game for us so he was no slouch.
    Collingwood turned him into a defender and he was doing really well but then he got a bad injury and it was curtains. He was a glorious kick. He booted 46 goals in his 20 games with us.

Post football he played NFL Europe with a team called the Scottish Claymores. He then got signed by the Denver Broncos but did not get on the field.

6. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Kevin kicking three goals in a quarter in one of his games at the Western Oval. He was a very courageous player. I think he weighed about 60kg wringing wet.
    Against North I think. He won the competition in the VFA second division B&F (the Field medal) with Yarraville in 1980.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone can think of a player who has worn #46, #47, #48 or #50 for 40 games or more, or who has distinguished themself in some other way, I invite you to post
    Lin Jong #46, 65 games inc VFL premiership
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Lin Jong #46, 65 games inc VFL premiership
    Thanks for that. I recalled him just before dozing off last night.

Post Thanks / Like

So here's the first 24 of the Top 100 Bulldogs that I have seen with us since 1954
    1. Ted Whitten
    2. Chris Grant
    3. Brad Johnson
    4. Kelvin Templeton
    5. Doug Hawkins
    6. Charlie Sutton
    7. Scott West
    8. John Schultz
    9. Marcus Bontempelli
    10. Gary Dempsey
    11. Simon Beasley
    12. Scott Wynd
    13. Tony Liberatore
    14. George Bisset
    15. Brian Royal
    16. Bob Murphy
    17. Dale Morris
    18. Jack Collins
    19. Matthew Boyd
    20. Herb Henderson
    21. Wally Donald
    22. John Jillard
    23. Tom Liberatore
    24. Jim Gallagher

As well as my own observations, I have consulted our "Bulldogs Team of the Century" as the template for compiling this first group.

11. Thanks GVGjr, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Twodogs, Happy Days, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I didn't realise how difficult this is going to be. I've selected another 26 players but sorting them in to some sort of order is really difficult. I have changed my mind a couple of times already!

To help me decide these are my biases: Premiership player - tick, games played - tick. B&F winner - tick, Brownlow - tick. Captain - tick. One club player - tick. Leading goalkicker - tick. Consistency - tick. My perception of the player's contribution to club success.

With each player I'll make a comment re why I've selected them.
    Last edited by merantau; 21-05-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realised I left out Paul Hudson. He was an excellent #9. Played 5 seasons from '97 to '01. Won our goal kicking twice, was All Australian in 1998. 108 games 216 goals. A fine player.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realised I left out Paul Hudson. He was an excellent #9. Played 5 seasons from '97 to '01. Won our goal kicking twice, was All Australian in 1998. 108 games 216 goals. A fine player.
    wrong thread.
    Last edited by Bulldog4life; 28-05-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So here goes. I'll leave it up to you to make your own judgements.
    25. Liam Picken. Once he got a run he was never out the side. The supreme tagger who could win his own ball. Then became a manic running machine with great hands, a very sure kick for goal and a crunching tackler. Courage personified. Player of the Finals says it all.

26. Easton Wood. Premiership Captain. Led from the front. Got us on the board after a shaky start against the Hawks. Was magnificent against GWS and in the GF.

27. Jack Macrae Stepped up to kick the greatest pressure goal ever kicked by a Bulldog and his game has gone to another level since. Extreme courage, super fit: he goes all day.

28. Rick Kennedy. Captain courageous. Played on all the monster full forwards and was undersized for the job but never deterred. A fine leader.

29. Steve Wallis. Versatile and tough. Great in defence, in the midfield too

30. Rohan Smith. 300 games. Multiple roles. Great kick. Great run off half back. Never gave in.

31. Leon Cameron. You couldn't tell if he was a natural left or right sided player - he was that good.

32. Ryan Griffen. A tremendous in and out midfielder who stood up in big games. Totally consistent effort. We should never have made him captain. It was not his go. I was dismayed at the way it ended.

33. Lindsay Gilbee. Best kick in the League during his career. Great defender, great runner, an attacking weapon. Very versatile.

34. Luke Darcy. Excellent ruckman who could kick a goal

35. Adam Cooney An explosive player who could really break away from congestion.

36. Peter Foster. Mr Reliable. Great mark and kick. Could play both ends.

37. Bernie Quinlan. He was in the top half dozen players I ever saw but his career with us, although brilliant at times, was inconsistent. At Fitzroy he was mesmerisingly brilliant - better player that Ablett in my opinion.

38. Brian Lake. A fine attacking full back who could read the play and intercept all match.

39. Mitch Hahn. An absolute bulldozer who could play on ball and up forward

40. Caleb Daniel. Unique, unmatched cleverness by hand, foot and body movement. Great courage. User of the ball without peer.

41.Tory Dickson. Deadeye Dickson was in a class of his own and in big games he was a star.

42. Ian Dunstan. A three times B&F winner.

43. Steve Macpherson. Tough as nails forward/midfielder who always turned up to play.

44. Lachie Hunter. A running machine who is getting better each year.

45. Josh Dunkley. Getting better each year.

46. Matthew Croft. A rugged hard checking defender who could play either end.

47. Simon Atkins. Brilliant hands. In and under player.

48. Nathan Eagleton. Fantastic left foot kick. Very hard running and consistent

49. David Thorpe. Two times B&F A ball magnet

50. Steve Kolyniuk. Pace, skill, tough.

16. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr, Twodogs, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an amazing effort Merantau. I genuinely can't think of a player you've left out or is too high or too low.

Except for KT obviously.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So here we go - 51 thru 75. I think it gets tougher as you move down the list. There are groups of players you could throw a blanket over.

51. Peter Box. 108 games.Won the '56 Brownlow playing in the centre and played CHF in 1954. B&F winner in 1955

52. Don Ross. Premiership centreman. B&F in 1956 129 games.

53. Ryan Hargrave. 203 games of no-nonsense football. Very consistent. Always backed up.

54. Tony McGuinness. 5 yrs 108 games 109 goals. Best kick at FULL pace that I can re-call. B&F 1987

55. Nathan Brown. He was a very skilled player. 137 games and 206 goals but the way he left soured my opinion of him.

56. Laurie Sandilands. Captain and 4 times leading goal kicker. A defender turned spearhead. Fine leader.

57. Geoff Jennings. Fast, skillful rover. Club captain.

58. David Darcy. Attacking full back. Glorious kick and mark. Could play CHF too.

59. Ted Whitten Jnr. Beautiful mover. Superb deliverer of the ball to KT. 144 games, 133 goals.

60. Terry Wallace. Played 69 games in 4 seasons but won two B&Fs. Speaks for itself. Great team player.

61. Ray Walker. Great back pocket combo with David Darcy. B&F winner 1963.

62. Tom Boyd. Saved the games of his life for the two most important games for the Club in 55 years. Not to be underestimated

63 Jason Johannisen. An attacking weapon of half back.

64. Gordon Casey. Solid as a rock back pocket.

65. Dave Bryden. Premiership ruckman/defender. 147 games

66. Mitch Wallis. Tough like Steve. Versatile. Accurate kick. Makes clutch goals. Great courage.

67. Andrew Purser. Lion hearted ruckman. B&F winner 1984. 112 games.

68. Luke Dalhaus. A terrier. Tackling machine. Not happy he left but we got the best out of him.

69. Will Minson. Played 191 games and gave his all. Loved to kick a goal and fire up his team mates.

70. Peter Welsh. B&F 1972. Ruckman back pocket. Always hard at it.

71. Jose Romero. Tough midfielder who could run all day. Always in the contest and could kick a goal.

72. Steve Kretiuk. Determined and tough. Battled through injury and gave his all - always. 170 games but injury robbed him of 50.

73. Terry Wheeler. 157 games of hard uncompromising defending. Crowd favourite.

74. Barry Round. Bullocking ruck. Super strong and good up forward. One that got away. 135 games, 136 goals.

75 Gary Merrington. Played 174 games at full back, wing and half forward. That's a decent career.

Post Thanks / Like

Merantau, You have done a terrific job but there is a chance you are underrating Jose Romero and Tony McGuinness
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

21. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post