Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  298
Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs By the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Another notable number two of the past who I never saw was Alan Hopkins, who got a retrospective Brownlow.

Hopkins is also a legend in our hall of fame.
    My Grandfather did see Alan Hopkins play, and always believed that he was far and away the best Bulldog of them all.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    My Grandfather did see Alan Hopkins play, and always believed that he was far and away the best Bulldog of them all.
    Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1924. Almost 100 years ago now.

I think B4L saw those premierships live
    Last edited by bornadog; 17-02-2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes merantau, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our last #2 of note is, of course, Bob Murphy who debuted as an 18 yr old wearing #22 in season 2000. He inherited #2 upon the retirement of Steve Kolyniuk at the end of season 2000. Bob played 312 games and kicked 183 goals. He was a champion player. He had brilliant skills on both sides of the body and played some his best football at half forward which, bearing in mind his size, is testament to his outstanding ability. Creative and dashing off half back he will always be a beloved Son of the West. His role as Captain Inspiration in 2016 has been well documented. Truly an exceptional Bulldog.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That concludes the rundown of the significant players who have worn #2 for us since I can remember and a few contributors have provided information re famous players from yesteryear too. So thanks for that. And next we will look at #3 beginning with you know who - the biggest name in football - Mr Football himself - the incomparable EJ Whitten.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1925. Almost 100 years ago now.

I think B4L saw those premierships live
    Alan grew up across the road from the ground and kicked 7 goals on debut. His dad Con also played with Footscray.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    That concludes the rundown of the significant players who have worn #2 for us since I can remember and a few contributors have provided information re famous players from yesteryear too. So thanks for that. And next we will look at #3 beginning with you know who - the biggest name in football - Mr Football himself - the incomparable EJ Whitten.
    EJ inherited the number 3 from Arthur Olliver who was the Club’s record games holder before Ted Whitten, being Captain/ Coach of the Bulldogs for a number of years in the ‘40’s. Olliver went on to successfully coach in both Tasmania and WA. His son Jim served on our Board for a number of years in the 1980’s.

11. Thanks merantau, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And so on to #3 - Mr Football, Ted Whitten. As a kidd who began attending matches in 1956 its fair to say we didn't have much success; they were lean years indeed. But, we had Ted Whitten and the others didn't.
    He was without doubt the best player I have ever seen. 321 games, 360 goals in 20 seasons. He debuted in Rd 1 season 1951, as a 17 yr old He kicked a goal with his first kick and got knocked out by a 28 yr old Mopsy Fraser in the 3rd quarter. Ted would later say that Fraser did him a favour by showing him that side of football early.
    Ted won four Best and Fairest trophies in 1950 - for Braybrook U/17s and the FDL comp and for Collingwood Amatures and the Sunday Amature competition where he was playing against tough hardened men from teams like Miller's Rope Works and Montague.
    His coach at the Amateurs encouraged him to try out for Collingwood but they thought Ted was too frail. Sad isn't it?
    So on to the Bulldogs from where he never looked back. He starred at centre half back in our 1954 Premiership win and was appointed Captain Coach in 1957. He took us to the '61 Grand Final - a very fine achievement. It was a very hot day. Hawthorn had enjoyed a week off and were in great physical shape anyway due to John Kennedy's insistence on strength and aerobic fitness. We led by nine points at half time but got over run in the second half. Keith Beamish our second rover was carried off just before half time. It was a tough day at the footy and a big let down after a great win against flag favourites, Melbourne, in the Prelim. Melbourne were going for the 7th consecutive Grand Final appearance.
    Ted could play anywhere and could do anything. Great all round skills, fast , tough, creative and fiercely competitive. He was named captain of the VFL/AFL Team of the Century. That says it all. Legend of the game. Legend of the West.

13. Thanks Twodogs, Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#3 Chris Grant was my hero from when he debuted in 1990 and I was either 6 or 7 years old watching his first game, until he retired when I 24. Started out at #29 before taking #3 from the departed Adrian Campbell (who won our goal kicking in 1989 with 21 goals).

Grant was the best bulldog I have seen, although I think at the end of Bont's career I will have revised that.

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    #3 Chris Grant was my hero from when he debuted in 1990 and I was either 6 or 7 years old watching his first game, until he retired when I 24. Started out at #29 before taking #3 from the departed Adrian Campbell (who won our goal kicking in 1989 with 21 goals).

Grant was the best bulldog I have seen, although I think at the end of Bont's career I will have revised that.
    Campbell and Grant would have been a spectacular KPF pairing if Campbell didn't have that horrific knee injury.
    Multiple ligaments and just never moved the same way again
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Campbell and Grant would have been a spectacular KPF pairing if Campbell didn't have that horrific knee injury.
    Multiple ligaments and just never moved the same way again
    The surgeon at Monash Medical centre said the trauma to Campbell's knee was as bad as if it was the result of a motorbike accident. I think at first the triaging nurse may even assumed that he'd been in a motorbike accident.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Peter Featherby #3? What a player he was. I think he had over 50 possessions a couple of times for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Was Peter Featherby #3? What a player he was. I think he had over 50 possessions a couple of times for us
    Peter was #5
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arthur Oliver and Chris Grant both started in #29 before playing the majority of their games in #3.

Between EJ, Grant and Oliver there have been plenty of goals kicked by the bulldogs #3. Mitch Wallis recently joining them with a three figure career tally.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a clip of Ted back in the day.

https://youtu.be/hdUtStWne1U

23. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The next player to wear #3 was Alan Stoneham. He was from Braybrook but played his junior football with VFA club Sunshine. He debuted wearing #3 in 1972 and spent seven years with us racking up 128 games and booting 42 goals. He played mainly in the centre. He went to Essendon for four seasons playing mainly as a defender. He ended up playing exactly 200 games.