Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Rule Changes

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...6xv0.html?btis

Looks like the rule change to standing on the mark may have a significant impact. Will this favour some sides or styles of play?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post

Looks like the changes to standing on the mark will have a significant impact. Will this favour some sides or styles of play?
    Josie, more madness by the AFL. Absolute bloody morons, what the hell do they think this will achieve? This will not enhance the game one little bit and it will confuse players, umpires and supporters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Josie, more madness by the AFL. Absolute bloody morons, what the hell do they think this will achieve? This will not enhance the game one little bit and it will confuse players, umpires and supporters.
    Try coaching it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Try coaching it.
    Do you see the rule change improving the attacking side of the game?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you just not put anyone on the mark or does the umpire make someone do it? Getting to the point where you might be better off giving them a bit of space and then closing them down if they play on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Can you just not put anyone on the mark or does the umpire make someone do it? Getting to the point where you might be better off giving them a bit of space and then closing them down if they play on.
    There's a bit of chatter that this rule change will completely change the way the game is played, more than almost any other rule change in recent years.

Some coaches won't man the mark when the ball is in their forward line. Other are trialling a 'sweeper' 5m behind the mark to cut off /pressure an angle kick.

The ball is going to move very, very fast this season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It’s going to be a nightmare to coach and umpire. No doubt it will have an impact on the way teams defend but have to wonder how it will work in practical terms. Seems like lots of gaps and room for interpretation.

Training at pre-season hasn’t been massively different from what I’ve seen just opens the field up a little bit especially on a quick 45 kick. Still plenty of ways to delay and hold teams up, the east/west rule had already cut out players completely closing down angles. Be interesting to see how much impact it has on ball movement versus chaos created by umpiring issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There's a bit of chatter that this rule change will completely change the way the game is played, more than almost any other rule change in recent years.

Some coaches won't man the mark when the ball is in their forward line. Other are trialling a 'sweeper' 5m behind the mark to cut off /pressure an angle kick.

The ball is going to move very, very fast this season.
    It will be a farce.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand why they want to stop the sideways movement but why the hell can't you move backwards from the mark?

Post Thanks / Like

Calling it now:

This will be heavily policed for the first few weeks and then once it becomes farcical with 10+ 50m penalties a game, the tight interpretation will magically be eased.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Fast-forward to pre-season 2024 ...

“Backmen have been taking up more and more real estate and slowing the game down, directing where play could go,” Hocking said.

“The vision we have from pre-season testing of it with clubs, the ball is moving quicker and so teams are taking full advantage of the fact they know the backman must play handcuffed with both legs tied together so it is really disrupting defences."
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Crows players are on board. This picture shows them practicing the new way to stand the mark.

No waving arms or showing movement so not to give away a 50m penalty.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

14. Likes josie, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I understand why they want to stop the sideways movement but why the hell can't you move backwards from the mark?
    I think I recall M Boyd doing this a few times to great effect in 2016 to put off opponent going for goal - he would step back a pace from mark then step or rather kick one leg forward just as person kicked for goal. Seems unfair player cannot step back then forward as long as they do not go over mark.

That game a few years ago at Marvel where multiple dogs players stood on mark to put off Harry Taylor kicking for goal (and we won - that was an enjoyable win!!) I think would not have been permitted under this new rule either.

Agree it will take a while for this change to be understood by all concerned and that there is danger of it being detrimental (hopefully not in long term). Will it favour teams who have a lot of tall mobile marking players eg Eagles or Lions (not been a forte of ours for last few years but I think we are trying to address it eg JUH and a fit Naughts and perhaps English and Bont roaming around), and who have creative kickers (like Bont or Sidebottom)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I think I recall M Boyd doing this a few times to great effect in 2016 to put off opponent going for goal - he would step back a pace from mark then step or rather kick one leg forward just as person kicked for goal. Seems unfair player cannot step back then forward as long as they do not go over mark.

That game a few years ago at Marvel where multiple dogs players stood on mark to put off Harry Taylor kicking for goal (and we won - that was an enjoyable win!!) I think would not have been permitted under this new rule either.

Agree it will take a while for this change to be understood by all concerned and that there is danger of it being detrimental (hopefully not in long term). Will it favour teams who have a lot of tall mobile marking players eg Eagles or Lions (not been a forte of ours for last few years but I think we are trying to address it eg JUH and a fit Naughts and perhaps English and Bont roaming around), and who have creative kickers (like Bont or Sidebottom)?
    At least it is better than this farce allowed by the AFL

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievably farcical footage BAD!! Beasley ought to be given a gold medal for even kicking a point with the mad mileu. Mind you, these constant rule changes are pretty farcical too.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post