Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Unbelievably farcical footage BAD!! Beasley ought to be given a gold medal for even kicking a point with the mad mileu. Mind you, these constant rule changes are pretty farcical too.
    Yeah, you know why I get so mad about rules. The game is one of the greatest in the world (my opinion), but one of the worst run in the world as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have the rule changes contributed to or likely to contribute to key forwards being more prominent this year?
    Darling, Allan and Kennedy were good last week, Walker has had two good outings and now Bruce, Naughton and English look like a dangerous combination.
    Obviously you need a good midfield kicking the ball accurately but we might be on the cusp of seeing the return of key forwards after a long absence.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Walker 6 goals tonight, Ben King 4. Is it a coincidence that key forwards are amongst the goals?

Post Thanks / Like

There is some speculation that new rule change could be trialed in the pre-season next year:

Could we see the last touch rule introduced in the AFL?

AFL GM of Football Brad Scott has revealed the league is “looking very closely” at what the SANFL is doing regarding the last touch out of bounds rule.

The SANFL introduced the last possession out of bounds rule in 2016.

The rule allows umpires to award a free kick against the last player to touch the ball before it crosses the boundary line.

“It seems fairly universal that it’s been a positive change,” Scott told 7 News.

“It’s fair to say the AFL are looking very closely at what the SANFL are doing with last disposal.”

Port Adelaide champion Kane Cornes believes bringing in the rule would clear up confusion around the insufficient intent interpretation.

“I was really against it when it first came into the SANFL, I thought it was a bit Mickey Mouse,” Cornes told SEN SA Breakfast in May last year.

“But the more I’ve seen it and the more ridiculous the interpretation at AFL level has become, the more I think it has to come in.

“The AFL has been watching it for a while, they’re clearly cracking down on deliberate. Just clear all confusion.

“I’m about making it easier for the umpires and we’ve made it more difficult. This just cuts out all of the confusion, last possession out of bounds.

“I think we’re heading that way.”

The last touch rule was also introduced for the 2018 AFLW season, but only between the 50 metre arcs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Rule Changes

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute and utter joke.

This change has been planned from a long time ago. Firstly they bring in insufficient intent interpretation, to butter us up and now they want to go the whole hog.

Australian rules is a unique game in the world, but the constant tinkering is ruining a once great game. The throw in from the boundary is just one of the things th​at makes this game unique. The battle of the rucks, and who clears it is something I really enjoy and has been there for over 120 years.

What do these fools in AFL HQ want? The ball to just zing along up and down the ground? What are they trying to achieve.

I really am at a loss with these morons who run our game.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just change the ball to a round one and put hoops at each end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Let's just change the ball to a round one and put hoops at each end.
    May as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I was listening to a local umpire on the radio who seemed to think it was a positive move.
    Like how it was set-up in the AFLW in the SANFL it applies only between the 50 metre arcs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was listening to a local umpire on the radio who seemed to think it was a positive move.
    Like how it was set-up in the AFLW in the SANFL it applies only between the 50 metre arcs.
    Daniel Harford who coaches Carlton AFLw supports the rule introduction also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't know if you watch AFLW, but it is so frustrating watching this rule.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's introduced, then its going to further reduce the impact of or the need for a genuine ruckman.
    Bascially it's centre bounce and ball ups only.
    Bevo's might like that!

14. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the rule based on a direct disposal out of bounds, or is it last touch?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Daniel Harford who coaches Carlton AFLw supports the rule introduction also.
    All the more reason not to have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is the rule based on a direct disposal out of bounds, or is it last touch?
    My 30 second understanding is direct disposal not last touch.

Happy to be corrected.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post