Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    If it's introduced, then its going to further reduce the impact of or the need for a genuine ruckman.
    Bascially it's centre bounce and ball ups only.
    Bevo's might like that!
    And clearance players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if teams will be too frightened to push their zones up high. Imagine the out the backs when a team anticipates a free for out of bounds and they all run forward and the guy on the mark can't move!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I wonder if teams will be too frightened to push their zones up high. Imagine the out the backs when a team anticipates a free for out of bounds and they all run forward and the guy on the mark can't move!
    I cannot see one advantage in changing the game. It just becomes a different game, not a better game, just different
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the elite level it will just mean teams hang onto the footy more or be less aggressive with their full ground press just in case they miss a target long or wide.

Ultimately it will increase the chance of the odd fast break goal out the back or around a zone, but mostly will result in defences sitting back.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks Grantysghost, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My 30 second understanding is direct disposal not last touch.

Happy to be corrected.
    How does this work in practice? Is it a handball that misses the mark and bounces out is a free but if their team mate fumbles it then it's a throw in?

Post Thanks / Like

We should be winding BACK the rule changes, not introducing new ones.

What is wrong with these people?

FWIW over here in WA, junior footy plays last touch and 15/side all the way up to y10's now (which is I guess u16's). So the players go straight into the talent programs and the u16 championships (such as they are) having never done a BTI in all of their footy. The stupidity/short sightedness of these decisions staggers me. We have 5x forwards, 5x backs and 5x mids (3x inside + 2 wings) at u16s? Then we wonder why players are unable to execute fundamental skills (picking the ball up for example) under pressure when they get to u18 level? Well, of course they can't. The ground has 11million miles of SPACE and they've never been in a contest.

Oh - Did I mention despite the reduced number game they play on a FULL-SIZE oval? Which in Perth means - in many cases - they are playing on fields > in size than the MCG.

Things are so, so broken.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Thanks Happy Days, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Grantysghost, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How could we have a new season without a rule change. C'mon everyone we all want it, we just don't know it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Daniel Harford who coaches Carlton AFLw supports the rule introduction also.
    Mark Stevens
    @StevoMedia
    ·
    Jun 17
    Brad Scott leaving door open for last touch rule coming in to AFL on visit to SA yesterday, Interesting.
    @HarfSerious
    is an all-in last touchman .. happy to give green light ASAP.
    @RSNBreakfast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    If it's introduced, then its going to further reduce the impact of or the need for a genuine ruckman.
    Bascially it's centre bounce and ball ups only.
    Bevo's might like that!
    This is one that would suit us. Timmy’s major weakness is positioning and body work at throw ins. Bevo playing the long game
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We should be winding BACK the rule changes, not introducing new ones.

What is wrong with these people?

FWIW over here in WA, junior footy plays last touch and 15/side all the way up to y10's now (which is I guess u16's). So the players go straight into the talent programs and the u16 championships (such as they are) having never done a BTI in all of their footy. The stupidity/short sightedness of these decisions staggers me. We have 5x forwards, 5x backs and 5x mids (3x inside + 2 wings) at u16s? Then we wonder why players are unable to execute fundamental skills (picking the ball up for example) under pressure when they get to u18 level? Well, of course they can't. The ground has 11million miles of SPACE and they've never been in a contest.

Oh - Did I mention despite the reduced number game they play on a FULL-SIZE oval? Which in Perth means - in many cases - they are playing on fields > in size than the MCG.

Things are so, so broken.
    I didn’t realise that, they’re almost playing a different sport. Probably an insight into how the brains trust at the top levels see the game eventually developing.

If so, the game is cooked long term.

That said, there is an opportunity for a parent determined to develop a player. Chuck them in the gym early, get them boxing/grappling training as early as possible, just create a physical beast of a kid. Once they get to u/18s and the contested stuff ramps up, he’d tear shreds off the kids used to time and space.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

That said, there is an opportunity for a parent determined to develop a player. Chuck them in the gym early, get them boxing/grappling training as early as possible, just create a physical beast of a kid. Once they get to u/18s and the contested stuff ramps up, he’d tear shreds off the kids used to time and space.
    Yeah, of course....sorta.

For me who owns 1000m2 of commercial fitness place - half of it dedicated to boxing and the other half to old school s&c - it is a bit of a bonus...we run a teenage S+C program and have 25+ junior footballers in here 4x nights per week. BUT.

If you want to understand how to find space when there isn't any, you can't learn that in the gym, in the boxing ring or (despite the claims of 110000 commentators) on the basketball court. You can only learn it on the field and you need to 'get your reps'. The other factor is kids today simply DO NOT WATCH AFL GAMES. They'll watch 15 mins here, 10 minutes there...sitting down and watching a game? LOL. There's Snapface, InstaTok and every online gaming option available to them...'in the olden days' we ate up everything we could and benefited from the kinaesthetic learning opportunity doing so provided us with...now days? They just don't get those 'reps'.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.