Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  67
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collingwood Football Club is guilty of systemic racism

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    This is why I can't bring myself to listen to SEN anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That and the constant ad breaks. I happened to tune into a vaguely interesting segment last week about which players would have some improvement in them but the amount of ads they had was unbelievable.
    Franco on the Toilet circa 2009 wasn't enough for you?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not surprised by the support that is being expressed for Eddie in some quarters and it is a perfect example of the root cause of the problem - the entitlement of racists. It's the "I am superior to you so my take, on any situation, trumps yours. You don't like a joke, you don't like a nickname. That's YOUR problem, not mine. You need to toughen up."
    And to those who support the victims of racism we have this: "Oh, so you're on his side are you? So you just want to virtue signal do you? Want to stifle freedom of speech and my rights as a 'sovereign citizen' do you? You're part of the problem."

"Well NO! You are the effing problem! So take a step back and have a good, hard look ..."

Sadly those types are incapable of, or refuse, to do that. That's why we have a problem.

And finally, I have heard people say "Well Eddie was just saying he was proud of the club for facing up to things and doing something. "
    If he was so proud then why was to report buried for weeks so that it was eventually leaked to the press? Doesn't seem like the actions of a President who believes there is a problem.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

3. Likes EasternWest, Before I Die liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    After his proud day comments, and considering how long he has been there, it's probably the right result really that he has a break.
    The Goodes gaffe some years ago was really embarrassing and a massive red flag. We are trying to change Australian society.
    When Dippa came out with his gaffe, the AFL made him do a tour of aboriginal communities in the north. At the time of Eddie's 'gorilla' gaffe I felt he got off lightly.

All this Footy show style, TV nudge-nudge wink-wink, casual racism has to go. It's not only about racism but also bullying. Bullying is a huge problem in AFL. Watch Footy Show and how people revel in Australian bullying. Go to a game and listen to the names people call each other. There is theatre and then there is flat out nastiness.

Players have to realize they are in a work place and subject to the same laws as any other work place.
    You are not going to go around any office in Australia calling someone a chimp. AFL no exception.
    While nothing to do with Collingwood's situation and just an observation Bob Skilton went through his career nicknamed Chimp. Due to his long arms and hairy back I assume. Teddy always called him that.

Post Thanks / Like

A good article written by the authors of the Do Better report.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-what-we-found

Amazing the perspective you can glean from something after the dust has settled.

Post Thanks / Like

Ex player Shae MacNamara has posted some thoughts on Twitter, calling out a few key figures in particular LINK

"Luke Ball (X AFLPA President),
    I know you were very close with Heritier in and outside of the club.
    You knew what he went through and you chose to stay silent when you could have validated his
    experience.
    Your self-preservation is really disappointing.

Nick Maxwell,
    You were his brother, for real.
    He lived with you and you named your dog after him because it’s black.
    Your silence in choosing your self-preservation with the club is really disappointing.

Coach Buckley,
    You tried to publicly deny this for several years... Why are you hiding now?
    Are you still being all that you can be?"

7. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He hasn't missed, has he!

Actually made really good points, and the defenciveness of some of the responses coming in is pretty full on.

Post Thanks / Like

They thought it was a joke: Krakouer reveals disgusting racist Magpie moment

https://www.afl.com.au/news/555290/t...-magpie-moment

What a wonderful club....
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just learnt a new word I hope I never have to hear in my lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Good old Joffa really helping Collingwood's cause...

Ex-Pies cheersquad leader Jeff ‘Joffa’ Corfe won’t apologise for racist social media post, despite being condemned by club

Former Collingwood cheersquad leader Jeff ‘Joffa’ Corfe says he won’t be apologising for a racist tweet he sent, despite the Magpies publicly urging him to say sorry.

Corfe for years was synonymous with the football club, frequently seen at Collingwood games leading the cheer squad and wearing a gold jacket when his side was destined for victory before finishing up at the end of 2019 and moving overseas.

On Tuesday night Corfe, who has been vocal in his support of former president Eddie McGuire and denouncing the idea of systemic racism at Collingwood, published an offensive tweet in which he took aim at aged care workers with an Indian background, writing: “Get rid of all Indian workers in aged care might be a start.”

On Wednesday night, Collingwood’s official Twitter account condemned Corfe’s tweet (which remains live at the time of writing) and called on him to apologise.

“Joffa Corfe is not a member of the Collingwood Football Club but has had a long association with our organisation,” the tweet read.

“As such we cannot stand by his comments of last night. We condemn them and ask him to consider the hurt he has caused and an appropriate apology.”

But Corfe wrote on Twitter that “an apology will not be forthcoming”, adding: “Have a wonderful day everyone. Off to surfers (Paradise) to live the life.”

Prior to Collingwood’s tweet on Tuesday night, Corfe appeared to directly address backlash to his initial post, vowing: “I won’t be silenced by the bull***t minority pretending to be the do gooders I’ll have the balls to say and tweet whatever I want.”

“To the losers out there in Twitter world feel free to copy and paste anything i say everywhere and anywhere.”

Collingwood last month announced it had established an anti-racism expert group to help the club rid itself of “systemic racism”.

It was one of several key recommendations in a club-commissioned ‘Do Better’ report that forensically reviewed the club’s history with racism.

The report described the club’s history with racism as “distinct and egregious”, with the club’s leadership, “particularly its board”, needing to drive structural change.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't stand racism. Have lost all respect for Joffa
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't stand racism. Have lost all respect for Joffa
    What a fool. I spent two years with the amazing staff on the front lines in aged care whilst they cared for my father. Many from the Philippines, they are talented, hard working amazing people. They should be lauded not attacked.
    They do incredible work that most couldn't comprehend despite the deplorable state of funding and resources.
    I usually ignore fools like Joffa, however aged care is such an emotive setting it's very hard to.

14. Likes hujsh, bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    What a fool. I spent two years with the amazing staff on the front lines in aged care whilst they cared for my father. Many from the Philippines, they are talented, hard working amazing people. They should be lauded not attacked.
    They do incredible work that most couldn't comprehend despite the deplorable state of funding and resources.
    I usually ignore fools like Joffa, however aged care is such an emotive setting it's very hard to.
    I bet that's not the kind of work he'd be willing to do himself either