Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jong refreshed, ready for 2021

Pre-season number 10 is in full swing for Lin Jong, who says his passion to play AFL football is as strong as ever.

The 27-year-old has been hampered by injuries the past two years, playing three games in 2020 either side of hamstring and ankle issues.

But that brief taste of senior football has him confident he can play an important role for the Western Bulldogs in 2021 if he gets the opportunity.

Now back into full training after the ankle surgery that ended his year, Jong is building momentum.

“It’s been nice to have that routine again, especially after last year (with the hubs) with that shadow of unknown and not really knowing what was going to happen,” Jong told westernbulldogs.com.au

“I’m coming off a modified off-season... Two weeks ago was the first main session I’ve done in about half a year, after the ankle injury.

“I just want to keep enjoying my footy.

“I don’t like to put too much pressure on myself and set goals I can’t control. It might be a bit cheesy, but I’m just trying to enjoy it as much as I can, especially after last season and knowing how quickly your year can finish up.”

Jong went more than 660 days without playing at the highest level, before slotting back in seamlessly in round two last year against the Saints.

“(At the time) I didn’t realise how many days it had been since I last played an AFL game,” he said.

“It was short-lived, but it gave me that passion and fire to keep pushing to play the highest level I can.”

As a 10-year veteran in red, white and blue, Jong is one of the Kennel’s most experienced players, despite the fact he’s been limited to 64 AFL games in that time.

That experienced tag has been reinforced to him this pre-season.

“Easton Wood has made a point of it – because I keep bagging him about how old he is,” Jong said with a laugh.

“I’m still not in my 30s, so I’ve got that on him.

“This is year number 10, so it’s more than a third of my life I’ve been here which is pretty special.”

Jong has noticed a difference this pre-season from previous years, with a noticeable change in the playing group on its return to training.

He’s hopeful that could lead to big things this year.

“This is the fittest I’ve ever seen the group come back from the off-season,” Jong said.

“Whether that’s because some boys couldn’t travel, or we ramped up our off-season program a bit, everyone’s really taken it upon themselves because it’s competitive for spots.

“We’re all headed in the right direction together.”

LINK
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Rocket Science, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jong refreshed, ready for 2021

Could Jongy be that wildcard player for us this year?
    I wonder what spot he might fill for us?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we had an injury list thread, I fear the spot he would fill for us would be on that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes WBFC4FFC, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really rate Jongy and he has explosive pace , Big body mid and good mark . He just has to play on instinct and keep it basic. Looking forward to see him playing a lot more games in 2021

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10 years.......amazing that he has been with us that long!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    10 years.......amazing that he has been with us that long!
    Does that make him Long jong
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

10. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Does that make him Long jong
    Lin Jong longevity

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Lin Jong well in 2021. He needs something to go right. This could be the year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He was tried on the wing a bit in the VFL and for his couple of games last year.

Maybe a run with role that Toby started to play. He has strength and pace, and I think he could go with some of the damaging mids and negate them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I wish Lin Jong well in 2021. He needs something to go right. This could be the year.
    I agree. His 2 or 3 games last year were a real pleasure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was tried on the wing a bit in the VFL and for his couple of games last year.

Maybe a run with role that Toby started to play. He has strength and pace, and I think he could go with some of the damaging mids and negate them.
    That's his best chance IMO - helps he can compete in the air.
    With Treloar and Martin playing, I see some players who are ahead of Jong (e.g. Ed Richards) being pushed out. Taylor Duryea plays as well after having a shocking injury year last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    If we had an injury list thread, I fear the spot he would fill for us would be on that.
    It's sad but true. Unfortunately Jongy's body, or at least his playing style, cannot stand up to the of rigours AFL. His only hope is to play forward but I fear more disappointment with his body if he tries to play on-ball. I don't know where he even fits anymore and I while I would never question his endeavour I do still worry about his efficiency by foot.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's sad but true. Unfortunately Jongy's body, or at least his playing style, cannot stand up to the of rigours AFL. His only hope is to play forward but I fear more disappointment with his body if he tries to play on-ball. I don't know where he even fits anymore and I while I would never question his endeavour I do still worry about his efficiency by foot.
    It sounds weird to say this, but we as Bulldogs have too many forward options to fit into the side.
    Bruce, Naughton, Wallis and VDM are locks fr me - English will rest there and one of our mids. There's six spots before we consider a bench spot for one more mid/forward if we can even fit one in, and if we can there would be an Ed Richards or JUH (later in the year).
    That's without considering Bailey Dale/Josh Schache.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hope his body holds up - IMO adds much needed courage & heart to the side. Admire his perseverance to keep coming back from injuries.

Go Jongy !!

19. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on Jongy. A versatile player that play in a number of positions. Good mark and can kick goals. One player I will follow closely this year.