Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  57
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club legend outlines why Bulldogs should go back to original name

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Bad idea. Western Corridor extends all the way to the Western District. How is our expansion to Ballarat supposed to be supported by calling us Footscray?
    Wrong.

'Western' corridor clearly extends at least to SA.

Honor the past, celebrate the present, support the future. Leave the FFC on the Guernsey and the Footscray moniker with the VFL team.

Post Thanks / Like

No point dredging this up. Its a minor issue. Names change....Burma became Myanmar.....Bombay became Mumbai....

The club outgrew the tiny part of Melbourne and embodies so much more, the Western Suburbs, the Western Region of Victoria, Everything West of Footscray!

Post Thanks / Like

This is Bob living in Bob land, plus a mix of SEN needing content and commentary.

I'm sure in his heart of hearts he probably thinks it's a good idea, possibly because either one or both of Paul Kelly and Tex Perkins convinced him it's the right thing to do.

But it isn't. The Western Bulldogs is what we are now, the Western Bulldogs won a flag and became a financially viable club. I love the name Footscray and I'm 41, but the future isn't for me, it's for those who are coming next and they know the Western Bulldogs as a relevant club which is something I didn't when I barracked for Footscray.

Don't take that away.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminder that we are still the Footscray Football Club. It isn’t in the past, dead, or ugly, or anything less than what it is, which is the name of the Club.

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I listened to the segment - it came off the back of chatting to Brian Goorjian re: the Illawarra Hawks name change, and Goorj mentioned an old quote that 'what's on the front of your jersey is always more important than what's on the back' and that adding 'Illawarra' back into the name of the club was significant for local identity.

Then Bob chimed in with this (and North got brought up)

Not that I'm a great admirer of many who call into SEN, I found it interesting that the vast majority were in favour of changing back.

Will admit I am too - but it's not a priority....having said that, you can walk and chew gum at the same time. Maybe it's worth exploring.

To those that felt/feel Footscray is/was tied to an unsuccessful era and used as an insult from fans of bigger clubs..... I don't live there, but everything's changed, from the area to perception of the club.

Always remember Cometti hating ours & West Coast's name as it's not tied to a place.

FOOTSCRAY bang bang bang FOOTSCRAY bang bang bang
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

7. Likes SonofScray, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Condolences to you 'Western' types but it would seem our foot is now officially in the door and it's surely just a matter of time now.

CARNA SCRAYS!
    BORDERLINE FLYING

9. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Condolences to you 'Western' types but it would seem our foot is now officially in the door and it's surely just a matter of time now.

CARNA SCRAYS!
    Hate to burst your bubble but they just moved the FFC from the back so they could stick a sponsor there.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy to change back if there was some tangible benefit to do so. Will it help us win more games, get more members or sponsors? I can't see how changing back to Footscray helps with these things at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

CARNA SCRAYS!
    KWW is one of us. Reversion confirmed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble but they just moved the FFC from the back so they could stick a sponsor there.
    Do you know who the sponsor is?

Post Thanks / Like

Stop harshing my buzz, man.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Do you know who the sponsor is?
    No, I posed that question in the other thread. We now have 2 spots on the back of the jumper to fill and I am guessing they either haven't finalised it or at least aren't announcing it yet. The ones you can buy appear to have nothing on the back.

16. Thanks bulldogsthru&thru thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy to change back if there was some tangible benefit to do so. Will it help us win more games, get more members or sponsors? I can't see how changing back to Footscray helps with these things at all.
    Indeed.

If only these questions were more vigorously interrogated when we re-branded given you'd suggest we are where we find ourselves in the present day circa the tried and true combination of more professional off-field management + more on-field success and not because we voluntarily dissociated ourselves from our heritage and our home out of self-loathing and the fanciful notion a cosmetic makeover was the necessary panacea.

It's who we are. Don't hide from it thus validating the sneering worst of league rivals and likely the league itself at the time.

Own it and leverage it!

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED talk.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could argue we are much more Footscray as WB than Hawthorn are Hawthorn, or Collingwood etc.
    With the FFC on the front, home base and VFL.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 12-02-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Noticed jumper already posted so fixed it!

20. Likes SonofScray, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I'm mostly annoyed we pissed away a ready-made branding opportunity.

I'll stop now pardners lest Disney Corp reads these pages.
    BORDERLINE FLYING