Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do we owe Dunkley midfield time this year?

I think there is room for Dunks to play more mid than forward. We certainly don't 'owe' him - but with our midfield strength - I am conscious of the balance between our out and out ball hunters, and the defensive side, and think Dunks' size allows him to match up well with many top mids from oppositions.

Macrae for one, is more than adept at playing on the wing - and if I recall accurately, was mostly a winger in the Premiership year. He obviously goes well inside too, but I do like the idea of Hunter and Macrae on the wings.

It will be really interesting to see how we approach centre bounce attendance. Looking at last year, ruckman aside, it was Bont, Macrae and Smith who dominated our centre bounce attendances, with Libba next and then a big gap to Dunkley. How Treloar fits into this, I'm not sure. He had quite an interrupted season last year, and attended just under 60% of the centre bounces when he played. I would assume he attended a higher % in previous seasons.

Bont was up at 78% last season, our highest, and whilst I've always been an advocate for Bont being primarily a mid - I noticed Fyfe was sitting at 60% attendance, and am wondering whether that may be the sort of fwd/mid mix we look at for Bont this season.
    Surprisingly, Dustin Martin was at 78% of centre bounces last season - I'd have thought he started forward far more often.

But I've strayed way off topic from Dunkley. My point is - it will be a juggle to fit everyone in, but I think Dunkley's best hope of being significantly midfield, is to play a more defensive role around the stoppages along with Libba - and having a combination of Treloar/Bont/Smith/Macrae more attacking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bont was up at 78% last season, our highest, and whilst I've always been an advocate for Bont being primarily a mid - I noticed Fyfe was sitting at 60% attendance, and am wondering whether that may be the sort of fwd/mid mix we look at for Bont this season.
    Surprisingly, Dustin Martin was at 78% of centre bounces last season - I'd have thought he started forward far more often.
    Doesn't Dusty start at the CB then drift forward?
    TBH it's not a bad strategy and one you could copy with Bont - he gets the CBA where he's a beast, then becomes a "do it all" forward who can take a big grab but is dangerous at ground level. It woudl rely on 1-2 HFs playing high and running up to the contest after the bounce.

Would also mean any tagger Bont has suddenly has to play as a defender and very few (if any) can match him in the air... and the alternative is not to tag him which means Bont will be influential at the contest.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

If we had our best midfield against our next midfield, would it look like this?

C: Hunter Bont Macrae
    R: Martin Libba Treloar

C: Vandermeer Dunkley Lipinski
    R: English Jong Smith

It's tough to make a case for Dunkley as a starting mid against any of that first group, unless we decided that Bont can do more damage as a 60/40 forward (rather than 78% CBA). I agree that it is where he played HIS best footy, but was that best footy better than the others?
    Last edited by jazzadogs; 15-02-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Missed Bailey Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

C: Vandermeer Dunkley ?Richards
    R: English Jong Lipinski

It's tough to make a case for Dunkley as a starting mid against any of that first group, unless we decided that Bont can do more damage as a 60/40 forward (rather than 78% CBA). I agree that it is where he played HIS best footy, but was that best footy better than the others?
    So Bailey Smith doesn't crack it for our top twelve midfielders Jazzadogs ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    So Bailey Smith doesn't crack it for our top twelve midfielders Jazzadogs ?
    I knew I'd miss one. Even had a team list open to double check *facepalm*.

It would be between him and Treloar for the 'speedy' spot in the first six I think.

Post Thanks / Like

C: Vandermeer Dunkley Lipinski
    R: English Jong Smith

Gee - looking at this it is actually incredible the depth and talent we have in the middle of the ground. To think Bailey Smith might not be in our best 6 midfielders is mind boggling.

Libba definitely the player Dunks has the most competition with and Libba didnt do enough to own the spot last year IMO. He had some brilliant games and some games yould barely know he was there. i think his best footy might be behind him but the lift he gives the team just being on the ground cant be taken for granted.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty tough going when you finish third in the BnF and don't own your spot!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Gee - looking at this it is actually incredible the depth and talent we have in the middle of the ground. To think Bailey Smith might not be in our best 6 midfielders is mind boggling.

Libba definitely the player Dunks has the most competition with and Libba didnt do enough to own the spot last year IMO. He had some brilliant games and some games yould barely know he was there. i think his best footy might be behind him but the lift he gives the team just being on the ground cant be taken for granted.
    I feel that there is a quality that Libba brings to our midfield that is a significant point of difference to our other midfielders, and that puts him ahead of Dunkley in that role IMO. That quality is his tenacity - the rest of our midfield are 'nice guys' but Libba refuses to be bullied.

9. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that there is a quality that Libba brings to our midfield that is a significant point of difference to our other midfielders, and that puts him ahead of Dunkley in that role IMO. That quality is his tenacity - the rest of our midfield are 'nice guys' but Libba refuses to be bullied.
    Agreed Libba should play as much midfield as he can handle.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - that’s what I meant by the lift he gives the boys just by being there. I love him don’t get me wrong - but I question whether he can put a full season together like he has in the past. There are some games he absolutely dominates and other games he goes missing. I’d love him and Dunks to form a rhythm of rotation with both of them at their best alternating in that spot. The issue with Libba is I’m not sure there is another role on the ground he’s be effective in.

Post Thanks / Like

I've mentioned this previously, but the shortened quarters and shortened season was a real benefit to Libba last year in getting him through.

I think we can only realistically expect 15-18 games from Libba and will have to carefully manage him so that he is out there and firing when it is most important.

13. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Run with, defensive mid role for him. Plenty of minutes, plus Libba coverage as indicated above.