Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  34
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should Tasmania have an AFL team?

18 teams is about right and North should provide the team.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    18 teams is about right and North should provide the team.
    why North? Why not Hawks or Saints? Saints are in huge debt, North are debt free
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Gil has been watching too many Kevin Costner movies..."If you build it, they will come".
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not make it that every team plays in Tassie once in a season or similar? Tassie fans deserved a team before GC and GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    why North? Why not Hawks or Saints? Saints are in huge debt, North are debt free
    No particular reason only they have already half moved there. I would also consider the Hawks and I think the Saints are safe because of where they are located.

No malice intended but when they shipped out South Melbourne I would have thought North was next to go. That's purely on that Melbourne only has one team with Melbourne in their name.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would like to see a Tasmanian team I have my doubts it would work

Tassie need an effective state league that underpins a state team. 10 teams at least that are correctly funded not the 7 that they have in place now. A friend of mine believes they all need an extra 200K to run their clubs. So there is 2M a year the AFL would need to stump up to get this competition right.

Geographically the state is too big because if it was just an hours drive between Hobart and Launceston they would be able to appeal to both cities.

I also wonder if they would have trouble keeping young players there because we know the Suns do and they have fantastic weather.

The club would need significant investment and I doubt the AFL is still in a position to prop up a club for a lengthy period.

19 teams would have a very disjointed competition. Is there enough AFL standard players to accommodate a 19 or 20 team competition?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

19 teams would have a very disjointed competition. Is there enough AFL standard players to accommodate a 19 or 20 team competition?
    I'm not too fussed either way if a team is in Tassie or not.

I's question if we have enough standard players to accommodate 14 team.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Talent is already spread too thin.

Move Suns there maybe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Talent is already spread too thin.

Move Suns there maybe
    The Suns are showing signs of belonging. They've had problems with player retention but they seem to be over that now. A move to Tassie would probably start that up again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Suns are showing signs of belonging. They've had problems with player retention but they seem to be over that now. A move to Tassie would probably start that up again.
    Fair point. I just hate the idea if 19 teams for a start because you can be sure that means 20 as they'll not want byes.
    The talent is spread so thin already.

Post Thanks / Like

They are already slowly ruining the game(stupid new rules and paying ridiculous free kicks), diluting the quality of football further with another team is just madness.

People are already voting with their feet(and bums) towards this product. Worrying times for the league.
    The curse is dead.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weather is an issue in Tassie. For spectators if not players. The Cairns game needs to be at a certain time of year for the same reason. The new NBL team went crazy here but that was indoors and summer
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Weather is an issue in Tassie. For spectators if not players. The Cairns game needs to be at a certain time of year for the same reason. The new NBL team went crazy here but that was indoors and summer
    Need the new stadium to have a roof
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Why not make it that every team plays in Tassie once in a season or similar? Tassie fans deserved a team before GC and GWS.
    Sadly the AFL’s lucrative National TV rights requiring two teams in Queensland and NSW was the major factor in denying Tasmania access. The decision by the Tasmanian Government to sponsor North and Hawthorn for a total of 20 million dollars has been provided to the detriment of local Tasmanian football which is now at a very low ebb. GWS was given $80 million dollars by the AFL in its first two years of commencement, with huge draft priorities leading it to play in 5 final series in the past 8 years.
    It would be a huge surprise that the AFL would now do something similar to Tasmania given the opposition by other Club Officials opposed to a 19th Club in Tasmania