Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  34
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should Tasmania have an AFL team?

There isn’t enough talent for 18 teams. 16 was the right amount. You’d probably argue 17 is fine but you don’t want an odd amount of teams. 20 would be horrendous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    There isn’t enough talent for 18 teams. 16 was the right amount. You’d probably argue 17 is fine but you don’t want an odd amount of teams. 20 would be horrendous.
    I guess the argument against that would be guys like Rhylee West, Wallis, Weideman et al not getting games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Agree, 16 teams was great. Imagine those top line players from GC and GWS spread out thru the other teams now.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a long memory and time hasn't healed hurt from the way other clubs who have been vulnerable over time have treated us, how their supporters have treated us and how we've been told ten Victorian clubs isn't sustainable by these very people and we should be the ones to go.

I won't shed a tear for any of Hawthorn, North Melbourne or St Kilda if they are pressured into relocating, because two of them have continually tried to pull us down and one of them is arrogant and too clever for its own good which rubs off on its supporters.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've got a long memory and time hasn't healed hurt from the way other clubs who have been vulnerable over time have treated us, how their supporters have treated us and how we've been told ten Victorian clubs isn't sustainable by these very people and we should be the ones to go.

I won't shed a tear for any of Hawthorn, North Melbourne or St Kilda if they are pressured into relocating, because two of them have continually tried to pull us down and one of them is arrogant and too clever for its own good which rubs off on its supporters.
    I personally nominate St.Kilda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I personally nominate St.Kilda.
    Tigers for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong for me too. Will save the tax payers billions from the continued over capitalisation of their shit stadium over the next couple of decades. Win-win.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Geelong for me too. Will save the tax payers billions from the continued over capitalisation of their shit stadium over the next couple of decades. Win-win.
    They have just announced they will build the next stage to take the capacity to 40,000. Sedat will be wrapped.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be depressing to see a vic club go if Gold coast is allow to drag down the rest of the comp for years to come.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They have just announced they will build the next stage to take the capacity to 40,000. Sedat will be wrapped.
    So I read. It’s beyond crazy. It should just be name the Pork Barreling By Both Levels & Bith Sides of Government Stadium.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So I read. It’s beyond crazy. It should just be name the Pork Barreling By Both Levels & Bith Sides of Government Stadium.
    I believe a car park was pledged next door as well
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    It will be depressing to see a vic club go if Gold coast is allow to drag down the rest of the comp for years to come.
    I think they destined to merge into the NT proposal for a licence. Make them the Northern Australia Suns still with some GC presence, but also Cairns, Darwin & Alice.

If they can keep 18 clubs, while broadening the net over Tassie, FNQ & NT I think they’d be happy. Just the ID of GCS goes and North or Saints too. Dispassionately, the AFEL would get a better TV deal, increase attendances and have a truly national game. Provided were are in the 18, I can see how that benefits pretty much everyone except one Vic club.

Post Thanks / Like

They should just admit GC is a failure and give Tassie a team of their own. Still 18.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with North as they got rid of the South and that just leaves Melbourne.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be really nice to not continually have to hang the threat of relocation or disbandment over the heads of 2-3 Victorian clubs, plus the expansion sides, at any given moment.

Are we really too big a competition to not include teams that have been part of the comp for nearly a century in their current form, especially when they are solvent (North)? Why do we accept the narrative that one of them has to go when there has been no issue this whole time. I mean North are the easiest target and they still regularly attract crowds in excess of 25,000 people, a figure basically any other code would dream of (and is impressive by world wide standards).

Gold Coast and GWS still have a long way to grow, but that is in no way a surprise and also what do people expect? Essendon and Carlton have been stuck in the pit of ineptness for almost as long as the Suns and what do they have to blame? The fact that Gold Coast averaged a crowd of 11,000 in 2019 despite never actually being good in less than 10 years of existence should be a credit to them, not a source of derision. Again they are starting out in a non football area, and as soon as the AFL committed to the project there then they knew it would be a long term plan.

Tassie is great, and I am all for a team there, although am pretty sceptical on it being this big behemoth everyone seems to think it will be. The record crowd there is 17,000, and i suspect in the depths of winter there could be some very low crowds. I'm not saying this against Tassie, but I do think it will have its own struggles at least optically. If it has a poor first 5 years like Gold Coast has had (and averages a reasonable crowd figure of say 13,000) do we all start bagging it out for being a failure as well and that it was always a dumb place to put a team?

I'm a bit tired of everyone punching down at the two expansion clubs, I'm not really sure what everyone expected. If Tassie is included it should be as the 19th side, no team should be "punished" by being sent down there unless they choose to go, and it's going to require patience until it becomes a side that everyone thinks is actually worthy of being in the comp.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

19. Likes jeemak liked this post