Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Back in business: Dunkley eyes big 2021

link

Star midfielder Josh Dunkley has left 2020 in the rear-view mirror, as he sets his sights on recapturing the form that had him on the verge of All Australian selection a year earlier.

It was a tough year for the 24-year-old, who missed a large chunk of football due to injury before exploring a trade to Essendon at season’s end.

That trade didn’t eventuate – but he’s not disappointed.

Dunkley – ever the professional – has slotted back into the Kennel seamlessly.

“It’s been business as usual,” he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“It was a challenging time – it’s nice to be back, and being back in the building. I haven’t approached things any differently. The boys and the staff have been really good.

“It’s been good to come back in with opens arms and get to work, train hard and be in a position where I can play the best footy I can for the team.”

Dunkley’s work ethic on the training track has been evident – he’s run a PB in his pre-season running test, and says he’s feeling ‘stronger than ever’ in the gym.

He just wants to be back playing footy again, in whatever role that might be.

If he can get a clear run at things, like in 2019, he’s hopeful of recapturing the hot streak of form that propelled him into the All Australian squad of 40 alongside the likes of Marcus Bontempelli and Jack Macrae.

“Injuries happen, and last year was disappointing missing that big chunk,” Dunkley said.

“I just want to play consistent footy. That’s what I did in 2019 and I was able to build some strength towards the back end of that season. The good players play well consistently, and that’s certainly one of my goals this year.

“Everyone came back in really good shape – which has allowed us to play through the midfield, out on a wing, up forward or wherever we need to be. I’ll work with what Bevo wants and what the team needs.”

Dunkley has made new recruit Adam Treloar feel as welcomed as anyone – the two gun on-ballers have clicked on multiple fronts.

Not just from a football perspective, but Treloar’s partner Kim and Dunkley’s sister Lara are now teammates with the Queensland Firebirds.

“When you think about our two different situations… to end up in the same environment, everything happens for a reason,” Dunkley said.

“We’ve really hit it off straight away.

“It’s a coincidence that Kimmy’s up in Queensland with Lara and we’ve got that connection too.

“It’s nice we’ve been able to become good mates already and I’m really excited about the future with him.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back in business: Dunkley eyes big 2021

I guess some fans lost a bit of respect for him after jeemak callously put him on the trade table and Essendon bit, but you've got to love the way Dunks has shrugged off his disappointment and embraced Treloar's arrival

Just joking jee
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess some fans lost a bit of respect for him after jeemak callously put him on the trade table and Essendon bit, but you've got to love the way Dunks has shrugged off his disappointment and embraced Treloar's arrival

Just joking jee
    It's a business.

I'm going to be skeptical of anything that comes from Dunkley's mouth, essentially I can't read anything he says that isn't through the lens of how he came across in his blog.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's a business.

I'm going to be skeptical of anything that comes from Dunkley's mouth, essentially I can't read anything he says that isn't through the lens of how he came across in his blog.
    Yeah all I could think about when reading the article was that Josh was talking up Treloar purely to con him into booking an appearance with the three muskateers. I heard the famous trio demanded bulldogs media remove a direct quote of Kyle telling Treloar they'd throw in one of their 'Shout out' videos at 50% off if Adam booked immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Hm, still going to wait a while before I take off the SHAME sign from the back of the Dunkley bobble-head.

7. Likes 1eyedog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Hm, still going to wait a while before I take off the SHAME sign from the back of the Dunkley bobble-head.
    My Dunkley bobble-head snapped off at the ankles.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    My Dunkley bobble-head snapped off at the ankles.
    Rucking will do that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Twodogs, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Rucking will do that.
    Hitting it with a hammer will too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one am sick of hearing how everyone at the club has welcomed JOSH back with open arms and have been very supportive to him. Me, me, me. What about you Josh? What are you going to do to regain the trust of the club and its supporters? You got yourself into this mess.

EDIT: I'm not anti-Josh....I mean he's pissed me off by wanting to bail to the ultimate scum. But he's a dogs player for now and that's all that matters. I'm just sick of reading all the 'sympathy' going towards him like he was a victim in all this.

Post Thanks / Like

I am more than happy Dunks has put it all behind him for 2021. If he wants the big dollars, then he needs to show he is worth the big dollars.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Dry Rot, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear that he's training well, from a personal perspective I haven't warmed to him just yet.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Kyle Dunkley, he has signed with Essendons VFL team

Post Thanks / Like

If he'd pursued a change to another club, I might be able to forgive and forget. He'll need to perform exceptionally well, in an exceptionally well performed side for me to give him much credit.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the playing group are fairly disappointed with Jeemak and his enthusiasm to get rid of Josh. They haven't mentioned his name since the end of the trade period. Then again they didn't mention it before the trade period either.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

21. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've heard the playing group are fairly disappointed with Jeemak and his enthusiasm to get rid of Josh. They haven't mentioned his name since the end of the trade period. Then again they didn't mention it before the trade period either.
    I heard a lot of them are trembling at the thought of who will Jeemak nominate next.

23. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post