Thanks Thanks:  79
Likes Likes:  90
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Game snippets

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Its an interesting one, has he now spent too much time in the VFL? Hardwick was saying the other day the challenge with young players is that you dont want them to spend too much time at the lower level, it can do more harm than good.

Lewis doesn't look like he has made significant strides in his physical development since arriving by the looks of it.
    He's not imposing in any way as a defender, needs it on his own terms to be effective. I was looking at the second game with less attention than at times with the first, but Young didn't look like a guy who's been in the system five years and put in solid preseason after solid preseason to build himself up.

Our talls in Bruce, Schache and English all looked like they'd taken on a message to improve their bodies, Gardner looked lean and fit like he has always (possibly a bit bigger) but Young hasn't seemed to change his body.

I'm prepared to stay the course with him, but only for a little while longer.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched around 3/4 of both the main game and the reserves. Honestly, with the exception of a short patch in the first quarter, I didn't really see much that got me excited in the main game. A lot of the same sort of stuff we've seen over the past few years, missed chances, poor disposal, conceding relatively easy goals down back etc. Stef Martin was useful enough in the ruck but McEvoy and Ceglar are hardly one of the better ruck combinations in the league.

The reserves game went the way it should've. We were by far the more experienced team out there and it showed. Not sure if Cordy has had an interrupted preseason but it was interesting to see Gardiner preferred over him today, don't really think either of them showed enough to give me any confidence, likewise with Young.

Maybe I'm being too negative overall but it really looked like nothing had changed, maybe the only exception being a step up taken by Riley West compared to last year but it was the same mistakes, the same areas of the ground letting us down.

3. Likes 1eyedog, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I note Scott’s elevation - did this mean that Preston, McPherson or Raak didn’t play in the seconds game (as I haven’t read anything about their performances)

Post Thanks / Like

Watched both games very closely, re-watched them again tonight at work, I had to remind myself it was a practice game and the score doesn't matter.

Pros:
    1. We'll get two good years out of Stef M if his body holds up, it was so good to see a dominant ruckman palming it down to our midfield. Martin/English combo is going to work out well.
    2. McNeil is a future brownlow meadlist
    3. Bruce looking much better, leaping, big goal from outside 50, automatic improvement on last year already
    4. Dunkley / Libba are clearly our two best mids from yesterdays game, Lippa has improved his tackling but I still feel his well down our pecking order.
    5. Jong/Hunter/McNeil roating wing feels really good, Jong's big body and going hard at the ball was excellent
    6. West, huge improvement, should of gotten games last year, MUST get games this year.
    7. Bailey Dale in for another 'on' year compared to last year, pressure is back up, as is his goal kicking.
    8. Cavarra, Weightman, Schache, Richards, Duraye, Buku all could play seniors right now.
    9. Bendeno has something there, gonna be good long term investment
    10. JUH will dominate eventually, still raw, but he will live upto his hype.
    11. Ryan Gardner still improving, might be a AFL player in him yet
    12. West / Vanders / (Cavarra / Weightman) Might be the small pressure forward players we need.

Cons:
    1. Bont was playing at 10% efficiency, uncharacteristically terrible, turn overs resulting in immediate Hawks goals. His lost the hair and from yesterday's game, some ability
    2. We could get rid of JJ and no one would notice, his spot cannot be carried anymore, and honestly I'd prefer Richards now in the half-back line as a line-breaking gut runner over JJ.
    3. Lots of problems from last year still exist, including the 'turn over in our forward half resulting in very quick 'out the back' goals for whoever we're playing.
    4. Defense is REALLY lacking talls, still, no idea what we're holding out for but the fact we signed Scott Anthony has me completely baffled.
    5. We need to turn one of our defenders into a lockdown player now or players like Hawkins and Dixon are gonna expose us badly this season.
    6. Accuracy on set shots is still in the shitter
    7. New rule sucks
    8. Bailey Smith also played like crap, not even sighted for half the game. Not sure if his recent breakup is getting to him but he must play better.

I'm interested to see what our round 1 team makeup looks like, we didn't have Macrae, Naughton or Treloar in the firsts team, and understandable why. Hopefully we have some tricks up our sleeves to fill some of our holes at the moment but some of our key players really, REALLY need to pick it up if they think we're gonna go into 2021 playing like that we'll get exposed early.

McNeil tho, great pick up, gonna be a gun.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

6. Likes Mofra, soupman, 1eyedog, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I note Scott’s elevation - did this mean that Preston, McPherson or Raak didn’t play in the seconds game (as I haven’t read anything about their performances)
    I am sure I heard Macpherson's name called early in the 2nd game. But I guess it means none of them will be on our list in any capacity this year, other than maybe with Footscray.

8. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I am intrigued to see how adding Naughton in to the forward mix will affect the English/Martin setup. It worked well today, but we can't have major periods of matches with Bruce, Naughton and English all forward...surely?
    I’m more intrigued how Naughton and Marra will keep out of each other’s way in the air.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I am sure I heard Macpherson's name called early in the 2nd game. But I guess it means none of them will be on our list in any capacity this year, other than maybe with Footscray.
    ***According to the AFL article Corey Preston and Ewen Macpherson are still training with us, and could earn a spot if we decide to place Toby Mclean on the long-term injury list. Mentions have til the deadline of March 9 to decide on final list spots

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    ***According to the AFL article Corey Preston and Ewen Macpherson are still training with us, and could earn a spot if we decide to place Toby Mclean on the long-term injury list. Mentions have til the deadline of March 9 to decide on final list spots
    We could also wait until the mid season draft if we want to add another player. I think this is probably a smarter play as there are bound to be some underage gems that were overlooked last draft that pop up early this season. There was a record low number of players taken in the draft and with no footy played in Victoria the late bloomers didn't have a chance to shine in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We could also wait until the mid season draft if we want to add another player. I think this is probably a smarter play as there are bound to be some underage gems that were overlooked last draft that pop up early this season. There was a record low number of players taken in the draft and with no footy played in Victoria the late bloomers didn't have a chance to shine in 2020.
    I suspect that will be the prudent way to go. Presumably if MacPherson, Preston or Raak show good signs we could also possibly sign them via the mid-season draft too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I would have thought the way he was continually outpointed in defence did the opposite of earning him a spot, but it's a very Bevo decision to make. All the best to him.
    Someone put the VFL numbers up elsewhere and he played 4% of the 2019 season in defence.

He's a mid/forward. Like McNeil, Bedendo, West, Weightman, McLean, Bont, Cavarra...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I didn't hear their names called but it doesn't mean they didn't play. The one that impressed me most was young Kellet. Plays similar to his old man. I liked his style.

16. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Macpherson definitely played in the twos game. Hard to miss that haircut.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I’m more intrigued how Naughton and Marra will keep out of each other’s way in the air.
    By sticking Naughton up the other end of the ground.

Naughton could kick 60-80 goals this year, but in the long run I think he will be of more value in defence given the issues we have both in defence and defending on the rebound.

20. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whilst the jump was impressive (and it hurt the Hawk ), the most impressive thing was JUH landing on his feet, and his second and third effort to move the ball.
    WOOF Member 422

22. Likes SquirrelGrip, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was looking for the stream replay. Nothing on the official website.
    But found on Youtube.
    Q1-
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

24. Thanks Templeton31 thanked for this post