Thanks Thanks:  79
Likes Likes:  90
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Game snippets

Hawks edge Dogs in scratch match

The Western Bulldogs have had their first taste of external competition in a practice match against Hawthorn on Wednesday morning at VU Whitten Oval.

An opportunity to put their pre-season work to the test, the Bulldogs started strongly before a late Hawks charge, with the visitors running out 12.10 (82) to 15.7 (97) winners.

Missed kicks and inaccuracy in front of goal hurt the Dogs most, who were without the likes of experienced defender Easton Wood, forward target Aaron Naughton, ball-magnet Jack Macrae, and off-season recruits Adam Treloar and Mitch Hannan.

The Dogs’ defensive pressure was impressive early, with repeat efforts and tackling evident across all three lines - as well as an urgency to try to move the ball quickly.

There was plenty to like about the Dogs’ attack, with nine individual scoreboard contributors including Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce and Tim English with two goals each.

New faces Stefan Martin and Lachie McNeil also slotted in seamlessly.

Having Martin play first-ruck meant more forward minutes for English, while Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore and Bailey Smith spent plenty of time on-ball.

Liberatore (head cut) was the only injury concern, in what was otherwise a clean bill of health.

The game was one of two practice matches closed to the public on Wednesday, but live-streamed exclusively for members.

A Bulldogs membership is your ticket to the game this season, so show you’re Made of Red, White and Blue by signing up today.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 4.5 7.7 11.9 12.10 (82)
    HAWTHORN 1.1 7.3 10.5 15.7 (97)

GOALS
    Western Bulldogs: Dale 2, Bruce 2, English 2, Hunter, Wallis, Vandermeer, McNeil, Smith, West

Hawthorn: Breust 4, Hanrahan 3, O’Brien 3, Lewis 2, Howe, Cousins, Frost

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Dry Rot, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crash. And. Burn. Totally useless. And the 50m penalty is such a ridiculous punishment for merely moving on the mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Hey Jeemak, without being in a position to watch the game, I'm assuming that you're being cynical here? Quite genuinely, for those that watched, did the new rule seem to have an effect on opening up the game for greater scoring as it was intended or is it looking like another crash and burn from Steve Hocking?

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had faith in Schache. Watching the way he played in the second game was very satisfying. I'd like to see him slot into our forward line and shunt Bruce down to the backline. Lord knows we need another physical competitive tall down there. Naughton and Marra can be the high flying contested markers. Schache can be your more traditional leading full forward who KNOWS HOW TO CONVERT!!! Schache is actually good at bringing the ball to ground and providing crumbs in a contested situation too. (is 'providing crumbs' one of the best cliches in footy?)

5. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Hey Jeemak, without being in a position to watch the game, I'm assuming that you're being cynical here? Quite genuinely, for those that watched, did the new rule seem to have an effect on opening up the game for greater scoring as it was intended or is it looking like another crash and burn from Steve Hocking?
    Sorry mate, yes, a little cynical! Like any rule you wait for it to become part of the season before you make a judgement, and with a higher vantage point for the camera or being at the game you may have a better appreciation for the angles being taken advantage of that weren't apparent today.

I don't think from what I saw today there were instances where the benefits outweighed the negatives, and I don't see how they will in the future......but will keep an open mind.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Thanks Doc26 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if this has been posted some pages earlier. All credits to ALs Highlights
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

9. Thanks kruder, bornadog, Eastdog, jazzadogs, Twodogs, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Based on this, Young is miles off it. Such a disappointing trajectory.
    Its an interesting one, has he now spent too much time in the VFL? Hardwick was saying the other day the challenge with young players is that you dont want them to spend too much time at the lower level, it can do more harm than good.

Lewis doesn't look like he has made significant strides in his physical development since arriving by the looks of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Choc for posting and to AL Highlights. Had we been allowed to attend the praccy matches and if I had a day off work would have been a great opportunity for a drive to WO. I have driven myself by the WO a few times now.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

i only saw a snippet of the second quarter, and the Hawks scored a few easy over the back goals were we poor defensively all game?

It's been a massive weakness for while its only early, I have my fingers crossed for some improvement defensively this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Scott just got the Dogs only rookie list spot

14. Thanks jeemak, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Threedogs View Post
    Excellent. A mid 20’s small midfield/ flanker with no discernible AFL level traits, who doesn’t really fill a hole on our list.
    Just what we needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be awesome, but I sure as hell don’t see it.

16. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So did we all learn anything from today?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought the way he was continually outpointed in defence did the opposite of earning him a spot, but it's a very Bevo decision to make. All the best to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    So did we all learn anything from today?
    I really liked the look of the jumpers. The red collar really popped.

I am intrigued to see how adding Naughton in to the forward mix will affect the English/Martin setup. It worked well today, but we can't have major periods of matches with Bruce, Naughton and English all forward...surely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I have always had faith in Schache. Watching the way he played in the second game was very satisfying. I'd like to see him slot into our forward line and shunt Bruce down to the backline. Lord knows we need another physical competitive tall down there. Naughton and Marra can be the high flying contested markers. Schache can be your more traditional leading full forward who KNOWS HOW TO CONVERT!!! Schache is actually good at bringing the ball to ground and providing crumbs in a contested situation too. (is 'providing crumbs' one of the best cliches in footy?)
    Agree 100%. Beautiful kick and smart player. It was his kicks to others in F50 as well as his lovely goals that were promising.

21. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesus we are idiots.

I have nothing against Scott, although he was hardly impressive, but I do not understand how we stubbornly refuse to address glaring deficiencies on our list in favour of stockpiling the exact same medium impact player we already have heaps of.

There is so much we could've done with that list spot, this is surely the least inspiring option. Can't wait for us to persist with him for 7 mediocre games this season only to completely forget he is even on the list in 2022, then inexplicably give him another season.

*Sorry for being negative but todays game did very little to allay my concerns with our side and this is the not so great icing on that shitty cake.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

23. Likes Mantis, Threedogs liked this post