Thanks Thanks:  79
Likes Likes:  90
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Game snippets

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    It's so frustrating. The best bit of pre-seasons used to be overly detailed training reports from posters here.

We must be the worst club in the competition at engaging our supporters with non match stuff:
    -No one is allowed to watch us train
    -No one is allowed to watch our intraclubs
    -We give nothing more than the briefest of articles and a highlights video consistig of 2-3 second clips when we do release something
    -We provided minimal information about our reserves performances last season
    -We provided no information about anybody other than the four players who were ok in the reserves last season. For example Khamis may as well as not existed last year.
    -We provide no insight into what we can expect this year, aside from the same few articles about the same few players who speak well (Dunkley, Wallis, Bont).
    I could cop it if we roll out with some new game plan that takes the comp by storm but that hasn't looked like happening for 4 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny because, despite the secrecy, we all know how our games will play out anyway once 15 minutes of round 1 have unfolded and Bevo realises his offseason masterplans have unravelled.

"Hmmm Woody tore our reserves apart up forward in preseason. Why isn't it working now?".

"3 talls up forward will be unstoppable. Our reserve backline was helpless in our intraclubs."

3. Likes soupman, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I could cop it if we roll out with some new game plan that takes the comp by storm but that hasn't looked like happening for 4 years.
    I can recall getting to training sessions and practice games in 2015 and 2016 but once we won the flag it became significantly harder with more closed sessions and cancellations of other events like the East West Day.

Over the years WOOF was invaluable for many interstate and country based supporters because of the comprehensive reports many of us here would share based on the training sessions, practice games and club events etc

It's a lot harder now to provide those updates
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can recall getting to training sessions and practice games in 2015 and 2016 but once we won the flag it became significantly harder with more closed sessions and cancellations of other events like the East West Day.

Over the years WOOF was invaluable for many interstate and country based supporters because of the comprehensive reports many of us here would share based on the training sessions, practice games and club events etc

Feels like this needs to be bought up with the club to be honest, it's actually getting really bad how shitty they're getting with fan out reach compared to other clubs in the comp.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I've really noticed the efforts to reduce supporter access to match simulations and training sessions under Bevo.
    Agree with this.

If our results on field were much better I'd be more ok with it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

We appreciate any little tidbits we can get G !!!

Thanks
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Feels like this needs to be bought up with the club to be honest, it's actually getting really bad how shitty they're getting with fan out reach compared to other clubs in the comp.
    I could accept last year with staff cuts etc that we were running pretty thin on the ground in terms of media staff etc and we obviously forgot to take a video camera up to te hub, but when minnow clubs like North and Essendon (snigger) are catering to their supporter base in much better ways than us in 2021, it does grind my gears.

If it is a directive from the footy operations side to give nothing away, they really should reconsider the approach as it's done nothing to improve us over the past 4 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Agree with this.

If our results on field were much better I'd be more ok with it.
    Under McCartney there were a lot more events. I can recall getting a run down of the playing list and how players would be developed by B-Mac. Had a chance to talk recruiting with Dalrymple at that event. Went to a Footscray game and along with a group of supporters and we got a the same presentation the players got on how the game would played from then coach Chris Maple.
    Easton Wood had been dropped and Maple told us the reasons why and what he had been asked to do. So there was some terrific engagement with fans

Certainly a missed opportunity as far as I am concerned

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we sure other clubs have more open training days?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

G and soupaman you 2 should genuinely email the club with your thoughts.

It might go on deaf ears but you have already basically written the email here. It's such a shame that its go so downhill.

Post Thanks / Like

It was the 2016 preseason that the shutters really slammed down. I can remember saying "If we are going to do this then well we'd better win the premiership" and they called my bluff!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Are we sure other clubs have more open training days?
    North had an open match sim today and also posted a decent highlights video shortly after it ended (not some disjointed lightning fast Michael Bay-esque effort like our media team puts out).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    G and soupaman you 2 should genuinely email the club with your thoughts.

It might go on deaf ears but you have already basically written the email here. It's such a shame that its go so downhill.
    I contacted the club about the East West day and I think the response was something along the lines of the players were already extended with their commitments and Bevo needed them to train at the club. They also said there would be some sort of other events for the East West club. From memory there might have been a kids session and a BBQ on another evening. At the same time I think there were some country clinics so it was obvious the EW days wasn't a priority and it's never really returned.

Now with reduced staffing and Covid as a legitimate excuse, I'm not sure they have the capacity to do much more but in my opinion we are distancing the club and players from the supporters and maybe that is where professional sport is heading but I don't have to like it or accept it. I like the clubs website but it's not even close to what I used to experience. I really enjoyed practice games, training sessions and club events between the footy seasons but some of those avenues are closing

I'll always be a member but I think to get back to that grass roots connection my focus might be better by going to Footscray games than being a WB player sponsor and I'd look closely at going to the TAC games.
    A redo of the study, a big cinema style screen might be a decent option going forward

Post Thanks / Like

I contacted the club about the East West day and I think the response was something along the lines of the players were already extended with their commitments and Bevo needed them to train at the club. They also said there would be some sort of other events for the East West club. From memory there might have been a kids session and a BBQ on another evening. At the same time I think there were some country clinics so it was obvious the EW days wasn't a priority and it's never really returned.

Now with reduced staffing and Covid as a legitimate excuse, I'm not sure they have the capacity to do much more but in my opinion we are distancing the club and players from the supporters and maybe that is where professional sport is heading but I don't have to like it or accept it. I like the clubs website but it's not even close to what I used to experience. I really enjoyed practice games, training sessions and club events between the footy seasons but some of those avenues are closing

I'll always be a member but I think to get back to that grass roots connection my focus might be better by going to Footscray games than being a WB player sponsor and I'd look closely at going to the TAC games.
    A redo of the study, a big cinema style screen might be a decent option going forward
    If they start having financial contributions drop off due to engagement, I can see things changing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If they start having financial contributions drop off due to engagement, I can see things changing.
    Last year was pretty bad. Everyone basically donated their memberships and the club gave us basically nothing back. I know "covid" but it felt very minimal effort and in keeping with our efforts (or lack thereof) over the past few years.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right