Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  44
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The protected area and the new rules.

I checked out for a season in 2018 to see whether I preferred just watching from home and then went overseas until the end of 2019. Was unsure how much I'd enjoy going back, but it was just great watching live.

The players are so quick and skillful. Watching about six rows back on the wing you get an appreciation for how nuts the intensity is. Will be definitely going a bit more this year, silly rules aside.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I checked out for a season in 2018 to see whether I preferred just watching from home and then went overseas until the end of 2019. Was unsure how much I'd enjoy going back, but it was just great watching live.

The players are so quick and skillful. Watching about six rows back on the wing you get an appreciation for how nuts the intensity is. Will be definitely going a bit more this year, silly rules aside.
    Nothing beats going to the footy for me, regardless of any meddling by the AFL. I much prefer it to watching on TV and find I get far less frustrated at the game than I do at home. Although opposition supporters can get annoying, such as the Melbourne supporters near me yesterday constantly whining about the umpiring - in a practice match!

Sat in the fifth row yesterday and whilst it was good to see the game from a different perspective to usual, I look forward to getting back up higher where I can see the play unfolding much more clearly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Nothing beats going to the footy for me, regardless of any meddling by the AFL. I much prefer it to watching on TV and find I get far less frustrated at the game than I do at home. Although opposition supporters can get annoying, such as the Melbourne supporters near me yesterday constantly whining about the umpiring - in a practice match!

Sat in the fifth row yesterday and whilst it was good to see the game from a different perspective to usual, I look forward to getting back up higher where I can see the play unfolding much more clearly.
    My god they were whingers. Gawn was inciting them... He couldn't compute "PLAY WB AND LOSE RUCK CONTEST".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Agree, live footy is the best. I get frustrated watching on TV, especially listening to the commentators. They don't tell you what is going on, eg who is off the ground, what is happening behind play etc, you don't get a full perspective of the game.

I love my seats on level 2, great view.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Level two at Marvel is just the best view you can get in sports. You can’t get a better combo of being close to the action but high enough to see the play unfold. You feel on top of the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Level two at Marvel is just the best view you can get in sports. You can’t get a better combo of being close to the action but high enough to see the play unfold. You feel on top of the players.
    I need to write something on the old Whitten Oval Can Bar. I still think nothing was better than that
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I need to write something on the old Whitten Oval Can Bar. I still think nothing was better than that
    That's a big call from a non-drinker!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get Medallion Club tickets for work and they were centre wing. You can hear the players and you're at the perfect level to see the play unfold.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get Medallion Club tickets for work and they were centre wing. You can hear the players and you're at the perfect level to see the play unfold.
    Yeah that’s the only time I got to level 2 as well. You can hear the collisions and all the communicating from the players yet at the same time you never have to watch the scoreboard when the ball is up the other end like you sometimes need to do when at ground level.

Post Thanks / Like

Those were the days
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree pre AAMI Park. That is an outstanding venue to watch sports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I would agree pre AAMI Park. That is an outstanding venue to watch sports.
    Ahh yes I did forget AAMI.

That said, it’s much harder to get a great view for AFL than most other sports given the size of the ground and the rapid switches in play.

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh yes I did forget AAMI.

That said, it’s much harder to get a great view for AFL than most other sports given the size of the ground and the rapid switches in play.
    True.

Many years ago (2011 I think, we lost to Collingwood in a final at the MCG and Brad Johnson got laughed at for being old). Anyway they offered free tickets to Aami Park to see Heart vs North Queensland Fury if you had AFL tickets so I went along to that beforehand. The contrast in sie of the two stadiums was incredible especially when you move from one to the other back to back. I reckon Aami could fit inside of the MCG without touching any of the non ground level stands.

It's also super noticeable when you change ends at Aami. Takes about 4 minutes. Doing half a lap of the MCG or Docklands takes an eternity.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    True.

Many years ago (2011 I think, we lost to Collingwood in a final at the MCG and Brad Johnson got laughed at for being old). Anyway they offered free tickets to Aami Park to see Heart vs North Queensland Fury if you had AFL tickets so I went along to that beforehand. The contrast in sie of the two stadiums was incredible especially when you move from one to the other back to back. I reckon Aami could fit inside of the MCG without touching any of the non ground level stands.

It's also super noticeable when you change ends at Aami. Takes about 4 minutes. Doing half a lap of the MCG or Docklands takes an eternity.
    I remember going to a Melbourne victory final at Etihad that was for whatever reason played a day after an AFL match. The line markings from the AFL game were still well evident. The entire soccer playing area seemed like it fit within the 50m arches and the centre square. It was slightly bigger of course but you really got a sense for how much bigger an AFL ground is to most sports

Post Thanks / Like

Funnily I'm not hearing how magnificent the new rules are for scoring.............or that fatigued players score more goals.

Wonder why? It could possibly be because it's all bullshit.

19. Likes Testekill, Topdog liked this post