Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  44
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The protected area and the new rules.

What happens with the Stevie Johnson checkside technique? They only recently modified the rules to allow players to start off the line and move perpendicular to the goals without being called play on as long as they didn’t cross the line of the man on the mark. They could even do this after the siren without being called play on. Is this now play on?

Banning it would cost goals so I’m predicting the AFL will find a way to finagle their way into making an exception.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    What happens with the Stevie Johnson checkside technique? They only recently modified the rules to allow players to start off the line and move perpendicular to the goals without being called play on as long as they didn’t cross the line of the man on the mark. They could even do this after the siren without being called play on. Is this now play on?

Banning it would cost goals so I’m predicting the AFL will find a way to finagle their way into making an exception.
    So wouldn't Buddy just say he's doing that? Start off his line and finish on it? Can you do it from anywhere on the ground?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So wouldn't Buddy just say he's doing that? Start off his line and finish on it? Can you do it from anywhere on the ground?
    This is what is going to bring things unstuck. Shades of grey upon shades of grey. I'll be surprised if there are no checkside shots on goals from marks or free kicks during the AAMI practice matches, so the answer may be soon apparent.

I still believe the underlying principle is more goals to generate more ads to generate more revenue, so every time the AFL is required to make a clarification/tweak, it will choose the option that creates more goals.

I'm predicting by mid season that the Lance Franklin 'natural arc' gets the green light and the Stevie Johnson checkside technique gets the green light. You read it here first.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    "Low scoring games are really killing the game of soccer, we really should double the width of the goals" - Steven Hocking in his next role with the A League.
    Nah, get rid of off-side.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

The new rule is leading to huge metres gained numbers for certain players. Short almost had 1km in metres last night. JJ should be licking his lips, Bailey Williams too.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duplicate
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Granted it's a small sample size but have some of the rules opened the game up?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t like the protected area inside 50 for kick outs. Reckon it’s going to cause havoc for our high defensive press and we’ll leak lots of goals because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don’t like the protected area inside 50 for kick outs. Reckon it’s going to cause havoc for our high defensive press and we’ll leak lots of goals because of it.
    Yes it was evident especially in the first half that Melbourne were using that to their advantage.

Nearly every kick out made it to the wing, and they got out the back a couple of times.

Not sure the rule makes a lot of sense, and really puts a premium on goals v behinds now as locking it in much more difficult. That sounds odd but in terms of now not being able to miss and get the second bite of the cherry with forward pressure.

Rewards mediocrity in a way. Just take the point and get it immediately in your half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Total and utter madness by the AFL.

If they introduce the rules they are experimenting with in the VFL, ie 3 players staying in their zone, I am out of here.
    I already am. Tbh this is the last straw for me.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I already am. Tbh this is the last straw for me.
    I mean I have a membership but I'm not going to any games this year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I mean I have a membership but I'm not going to any games this year.
    I'm heading that way too. I'll give it a few rounds to see how the rules wash out under proper game intensity, but it's feeling like we're moving to AFLX type goal scoring fests by any means necessary and I don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been basically one foot out since 2018 such is my level of interest in the game now. Didn’t watch a single game of footy in 2019. 2020 I watched some dogs games due to covid. This year who knows. I’ll tune into some dogs games but outside of our club I have no interest in watching the game anymore. Zoning rules would have me switch off permanently, no question.
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 09-03-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to going to games again, despite the rule changes.

Players adapt and I am a passionate sports fan and the Dogs are my team whenever they play anywhere!
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes bornadog, bulldogsthru&thru, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am looking forward to going to games again, despite the rule changes.

Players adapt and I am a passionate sports fan and the Dogs are my team whenever they play anywhere!
    I am similar Bulldog Joe. I love my sports and follow multiple leagues and the one thing that gets me passionately involved is having a team to get behind. I could never be one of those casual observer people who follow the game rather than a team.

The passion I have for the dogs remains. For the sport, less and less with each passing year. I am still interested in our progress but admittedly it's getting harder to watch games given a wide variety of factors. I haven't attended a game since 2018 so maybe this is what's missing for me.