Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott plot revealed: Another Essendon Dog raid fails, but Gia ... it was close

Scott plot revealed: Another Essendon Dog raid fails, but Gia ... it was close

New Bombers assistant Daniel Giansiracusa involved in plot to steal Anthony Scott

LED BY a Western Bulldogs favourite son, Essendon launched an audacious – and failed – bid to steal rookie Anthony Scott from under the Dogs' nose on Tuesday.

Scott committed to a one-year deal with the Dogs on Wednesday afternoon after impressing in the club's morning practice match against Hawthorn off the back of a two-month training stint.

However, it came just a day after the Bombers attempted to prise the Footscray product out of Whitten Oval.

In a move steered by former Footscray coach, and now Bombers assistant, Daniel Giansiracusa, Scott was put through a medical screening and offered a contract at Tullamarine.

Giansiracusa coached Scott, a 180cm midfielder/forward, when he won the Dogs' best and fairest in 2019 with the pair maintaining a strong relationship.

As part of Tuesday's pitch, it's understood Scott also met with Essendon coach Ben Rutten, football boss Josh Mahoney and list manager Adrian Dodoro.

Instead, Scott committed to the Dogs via the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) where he will push to win a shock round one debut against Collingwood.

Essendon's attempt to pinch Scott came less than six months after they tried to lure Dogs midfielder Josh Dunkley out of a two-year contract at Whitten Oval.

The Bombers also tried a similar move to nab Geelong ruck prospect Paul Tsapatolis in November last year before they were informed they were too late as the ex-basketballer committed to the Cats.

Scott's signing at the Dogs was made possible by the list vacancy opened up by the surprise retirement of Sam Lloyd December.

He becomes the fourth ex-Footscray player on the Western Bulldogs' AFL list, joining Mitch Hannan, Ryan Gardner and Will Hayes.

Scott's selection in the senior side against the Hawks on Wednesday reduced others such as Ed Richards, Cody Weightman, Taylor Duryea, Ben Cavarra, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Josh Schache to the reserves hitout with Box Hill.

The Dogs also have Eastern Ranges product Corey Preston and the son of ex-Dog Steve Macpherson, Ewan, training with their squad and could open up an extra spot by placing Toby McLean (ACL) on the long-term injury list.

Clubs have until March 9 to decide to select a player in the SSP, however a number of clubs are weighing up holding up over spots to the Mid-Season Rookie Draft slated for June.

2. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott plot revealed: Another Essendon Dog raid fails, but Gia ... it was close

No matter what you think of the Scott signing it's got to be worth it just to screw over the Bombers and Dodoro.

I wonder why he felt his prospects were better with us than at the Bombers who would seemingly be an easier team to break into?

4. Likes Bulldog4life, ratsmac, Twodogs, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott plot revealed: Another Essendon Dog raid fails, but Gia ... it was close

We've not been as successful with our rookie list approach in recent times. Let's hope this ends up to be a shrewd decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott impressed in the practice match? He had 4 kicked on him and was completely schooled by Breust playing in an unfamiliar defensive position. This is pretty bizarre all round but hey, let's add him to the pile of hybrid mid types we have on the list.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don’t really see it either. If we wanted a small defender from Footscray why didn’t we pick up Reuben William, who is two years younger and actually has some elite level traits and size?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Gia going from beloved son of the west to enemy very quickly...
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

9. Likes SonofScray, Threedogs, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    No matter what you think of the Scott signing it's got to be worth it just to screw over the Bombers and Dodoro.

I wonder why he felt his prospects were better with us than at the Bombers who would seemingly be an easier team to break into?
    Maybe he asked Dunks what he thinks about their integrity
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Gia going from beloved son of the west to enemy very quickly...
    Not at all, just doing his job.

12. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting to think Essendon might have played a long con on us here.

14. Likes Threedogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I don’t really see it either. If we wanted a small defender from Footscray why didn’t we pick up Reuben William, who is two years younger and actually has some elite level traits and size?
    I think we still see him forward of the ball, Bruest was a learning exercise.

I would have just rather take Winder late in the draft last year (spewing we missed out on Spicer by a few picks).

If we want a quick tackling pressure forward, perhaps we should consider the radical idea of taking a guy who has actually played as a quick tackling pressure forward before and not a kid who is a midfielder trying to reinvent themselves as a forward.

This is no slight on Scott who has busted a gut to get where he is and I hope he is a success.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was surprised to see Reuben playing, I thought he left to do other things outside footy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was surprised to see Reuben playing, I thought he left to do other things outside footy.
    I enjoy watching him play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So was I. Last year he initially signed for Redlands in the NEAFL, then when their season was cancelled signed for Port Melbourne. I assume he has returned to Footscray?

Post Thanks / Like

From what little I've seen of him Reuben looks ok. Hope he gets a chance this year.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Rueben was one of my fave Footscray players when he was prev on our list. Can play fwd or back. Re Scott, I always felt our straight
    sets exit from the 2019 finals was as a result of him being badly injured late in the season. Was clearly our best player in 2019 but more in the Brian Royal goal kicking rover role than a half back flanker..
    We need a lock down small Def and maybe we are schooling him for the role(?)