Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our club was born in blood and boots...

So.

I finally got to watch the game last night.

I know I have said this before - and I KNOW it was only a practice game in February - but watching our team play is exhausting. And frustrating.

From the GF team (a different era now, to be sure) we clearly miss performances like the one Tom Boyd put up. But more than that, we miss:

Morris.
    Picken.
    M. Boyd.
    C. Smith
    We probably also miss Biggsy.

We have not come close to replacing any of those players. We seriously play like the Footscray Millionaires now - and I'm not sure what team that is but it's not one I have ever supported in the past. Where is the grit and grind. Where are the players who are head over the footy no matter what? We seem to be celebrating Josh Bruce actually not being fat and jumping at a couple of footies? Where is this going? Where are the players we look up to not because of their skills/natural ability but because they play with an unrelenting spirit?

I know, I know. It isn't as if I did that in my own footy career (particularly not between the ages of 18 and 23 when I was all about getting possessions and running between the raindrops on wet days) but for goodness sake.

I didn't like that performance yesterday. I didn't like what I saw from the defenders who seemed to be conceding possession before the ball had been won...and add the mids to that group who simply trail along when the opposition have the ball. I am sitting at my desk right now and have a Bont bobble-head just to my right...he is happy and smiling. Gee I wish I could see an occasional snarl and a "Find an opponent" type approach to defensive transition when he is leading the way.

You know something else? I didn't like what I saw yesterday and I am concerned it is being dissected in terms of ball movement errors and defensive positioning mistakes...of course, we need that...but isn't there (and tell me if I'm wrong) an element of "How about we just have a go" about yesterday's game. Not to mention the last couple of finals we have lucked into.

With recruiting, there is no secret that I have never been in love with the Alex Keath signing - I just thought he was a 'nice player' and an interceptor...last year, he proved me wrong and performed well - I thought he was great and showed real commitment and leadership. Yesterday...well...he was so NICE. Doesn't he LOOK like a player though? Tall. Strong. Nice hair. A lot of our guys LOOK like players. But outside of Liber, Daniel and maybe young West, who else have winning as #1 on their game-day list? Who else would happily say to the coach at half time "Sure, I know I've had 20 possessions already and am having the game of my life but you have told me to shut down Liam Ryan so by hook or by crook that is what I am gonna do?" (Liam Ryan is just an example.)

I am lost with what to do or say. We are just a bunch of great young guys. Good footballers with nice skills. Great in the media - muscles in the right places and great at interviews. We look great onfield when things are going our way. I'm not so sure we have the fight to be a great team despite the names on the page (particularly in the mids). I'm not so sure we have players with the capacity to sacrifice their own games - even for ONE LOUSY PASSAGE OF PLAY - to make sure the opposition don't score. And for the first time ever I am asking myself if we have the right people leading them.

I think I wrote this last year after the Giants game. Stop telling me that we have learned from the final and are out to turn it around. SHOW ME. We had our first chance yesterday to show what we stand for as a group - and I have been incredibly underwhelmed.

The teams of my life-time are the teams of 97 and 2015 - teams that didn't win it all but you knew after round 1 that they were 100% up for the fight - and if they lost, so be it...but they went down fighting. And to be honest - that's really all I am looking for in the team I spend way too much time watching and obsessing over.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks jeemak, GVGjr, Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our club was born in blood and boots...

Nailed it. There is just something lacking with this side, and we can talk defensive set ups and a muddled forward line but a lot of sins would be absolved if all our players just had a red hot crack every minute of the game.

Outside of a few, we don't play for the team's sake. The fact that Dunks wanted to scoot off to another club so he could be the 'alpha dog' should ring alarm bells about the mindset within the playing group, given how close he is to our captain.

Got a bad feeling 2021 is going to be another incredibly frustrating season. A switched on, prepared and dedicated football side would have romped it in yesterday with Hawks missing 5 of their top 7 or 8 players.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned it in the game thread, it was really clear that Hawthorn looked the team more willing to pressure/ fight. Not sure if they were good or it was because we weren't flash.

Will be looking for improvement over the coming weeks.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Analysis of a practise match, but personally I see it as a glorified training run and that is all.

I will wait till the real season before I start to stress out over our performances.

Will be great to see Naughton, Macrae, Wood, Treloar, Duryea back in and maybe a couple more changes - who knows.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Mentioned it in the game thread, it was really clear that Hawthorn looked the team more willing to pressure/ fight. Not sure if they were good or it was because we weren't flash.

Will be looking for improvement over the coming weeks.
    It loathes me to use the term, but right now I can't think of a better description ... Eye Of The Tiger ... where is the hunger??
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good Analysis of a practise match, but personally I see it as a glorified training run and that is all.

I will wait till the real season before I start to stress out over our performances.

Will be great to see Naughton, Macrae, Wood, Treloar, Duryea back in and maybe a couple more changes - who knows.
    That's fair enough BAD - but I am losing faith mate.

What I am talking about is beyond personnel. It is about an attitude that we win and fight no matter what...I mean, you only get ONE CHANCE to make a first impression...why would letting Breust cruise around kicking goals be a good thing - we are playing them again! He is going to roll-up licking his chops and who knows what happens then.

For me we play millionaires footy, we have too many players (starting with that blue blood midfield) who simply will not chase, tackle or pressure and, well...when's it EVER going to change? Why is it accepted by the coaches? I would ask about the on-field leaders but to me they are culpable.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tend to agree we have too many "nice" players. That's why Libba, young West & Vandermeer appeal. I also like the way Jongy gives his all. We need more of that. Liked a passage of play where Wallis ran down a player to lay a tackle as if his life depended upon it. Need more of that too.

I know it was only a practice match against hawks yesterday but what I saw of match I thought our backline looked decidedly dicey (inability to punch ball, stay close to dangerous talls - all problems we've had for a number of years now).

10. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t think of a practice I’ve ever seen and been impressed by the intensity. Agree we need more players w mongrel in there.

I am astonished that it isn’t a trait Bevo doesn’t seem to value and instill in the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

What I am talking about is beyond personnel. It is about an attitude that we win and fight no matter what...I mean, you only get ONE CHANCE to make a first impression...why would letting Breust cruise around kicking goals be a good thing - we are playing them again! He is going to roll-up licking his chops and who knows what happens then.

For me we play millionaires footy, we have too many players (starting with that blue blood midfield) who simply will not chase, tackle or pressure and, well...when's it EVER going to change? Why is it accepted by the coaches? I would ask about the on-field leaders but to me they are culpable.
    Spot on, they played in our jumpers so I expect the team to roll out and do better from an effort perspective than what we saw

We don't seem to learn from previous seasons, last year we had a combination of dubious selections and some half arsed efforts and were found wanting and struggling at times and there were little consequences for doing so

Practice games are important, club games are important and training sessions are important and everyone should bring their best efforts. Whilst there are probably always an element of experimenting in practice and pre-season games it shouldn't diminish that we insist on the players bringing the required effort

Coaches and players need to step it up and as supporters we should be setting a expecting a high level performance every time

Every session and game is important for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    last year we had a combination of dubious selections
    In the eyes of supporters - yes

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I do get what you mean.

I guess I am hoping the team has matured a bit and we get some better performances than the last few years.

Not long to go till we find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Laitham is the one player that has it in him to really carry the fan in terms of his footy matching our identity. We might be a thin on the ground for that naturally occurring grit and tenacity.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to get McCartney back and teach them to crack in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Need to get McCartney back and teach them to crack in.
    I think post flag I had a fair bit of shit put on me for suggesting a chunk of what Bevo did was on the back of some of BMac's good work. I still think there's something in it, however, our malaise is in recruiting.

Could be wrong, but I don't think the coach, MC or whoever would ask for nice players who show up conditionally. What we're seeing now is the fruits of things that have been happening for a while on the recruitment front.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep telling myself it was a practice game, but yes, you are right, and I've been saying this for awhile.

We lack edge and honestly, balls, something the players you mentioned had. Libba, West, Jong, Vader, only players I see on our team at the moment that will really push themselves no matter the situation. I honestly don't think its our playing group.

Said it once, and will say it again. Bevo has to go, and Bob needs to step away from the club also, I'm sick of this ''We're nice guys / gentle souls / so in touch with our feelings'' schtick they seem to radiate, I don't want us to turn into GWS thugs who are always up for a fight and only play for themselves, but there has to be a middle ground, and I feel we're so far to the 'gentle' side that it greatly affects our game play. It starts from the top, and that's with our head coach, if we do not make it deep into finals this year I'll happily start singing the 'sack Bevo' song for ANY coach that wants to instill some grit into our players (also one who doesn't take 3 seasons to realize we need more than one under-done ruckman on our team)...
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

21. Likes SonofScray liked this post