Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Anthony Scott

Scott earns AFL opportunity

Anthony Scott has signed with the Western Bulldogs for 2021.

The Footscray VFL product has trained with the Bulldogs since the start of the year and has now been added to the list as part of the AFL’s pre-season supplemental selection period.

Scott takes the place vacated by retired forward Sam Lloyd and will wear the number 28.

The 25-year-old utility joined the ‘Scray in 2019 and won the best and fairest in his first season, after crossing from Old Trinity in the VAFA.

He had been elevated to the role of VFL vice-captain for 2020, before the season was abandoned due to COVID-19.

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said Scott deserved his AFL opportunity.

“Anthony is a mature-aged, ready-made player who we believe has the ability to impact at AFL level,” Power said.

“He’s had a really strong pre-season with us, played some good footy in our intra-club games and impressed his coaches and teammates with the way he’s approached things.

“Anthony had a great VFL season in 2019 for Footscray, winning the best and fairest. He showcased his ability to play across all three lines and also to impact the scoreboard, kicking 19 goals in 18 games.

“That versatility will hold him in good stead coming into our AFL program. He covers the ground well, is a real competitor and has a penetrating left foot kick.

“Anthony has earned this opportunity for 2021 and we’re excited to see what he can do.”

Scott is the fourth player currently on the Bulldogs’ senior list to have come through the Footscray VFL program, following Will Hayes, Ryan Gardner and Mitch Hannan.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Anthony Scott

Personally I don’t mind this selection (albeit him being another player of the ilk we have plenty of). It shows that there is a reward for effort playing in the Footscray team. This doesn’t guarantee success but should encourage young guys not drafted to look at our seconds team as a first option which may bring longer term benefits. He was also clearly the best player in 2019 when our reserves team were top 4. I am aware he played defence in the Hawks game and not sure I would have said this was his best position given I have always seen him more as a Brian Royal/Tony Mcguiness type ‘rover’ (if such a position exists these days)

3. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing against Scott, hope he does well but we seem to have overlooked the need for a big bodied talented KPD of whom we have none.

5. Likes Dry Rot, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Nothing against Scott, hope he does well but we seem to have overlooked the need for a big bodied talented KPD of whom we have none.
    Who is the big bodied talented KPD we overlooked?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I see your point but I think even if we grabbed someone like the Saints did with Frawley or Hawks with Hartigan then that would improve our list.

Having the option of a genuine big lockdown defender would be great. We wouldn't even have to use them, but knowing that we aren't forced to use any of Keath, Cordy, Gardner or the non-existent Young on guys like Hawkins or Dixon unless we wanted to would be amazing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Hartigan would have been a good pick up. Definitely no world beater but he’s a big body and would give us coverage. Cost peanuts, too.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I agree Aza, there isn't really anyone out there, unless we looked in the tier below around the country.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"overlooked the need " is what I said. perhaps monosyllables are needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Hartigan? Really?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Kyle Hartigan? Really?
    Yes, our defensive stocks are that dire.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Kyle Hartigan? Really?
    He’s come a long way since Jake did him in with a bag in 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be interested to see how Scott progresses, we've had him around the club for a while now so I'm hoping we see a specific role for him to fill with us.

We have a few like Hayes and Cavarra that haven't quite gone of with their chances yet. It's always nice to add good players to the list but normally a rookie list spot would be more about filling specific roles and I'm not sure that that is for Scott
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I don’t know about that, it’s more that our defensive group has cratered since then.

Suggesting Hartigan would have been a decent pick up says more about our defence than it does about Hartigan lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don’t know about that, it’s more that our defensive group has cratered since then.

Suggesting Hartigan would have been a decent pick up says more about our defence than it does about Hartigan lol.
    There were w number of players available that might have added to our KPD depth but does the likes of Scharenberg, Daw, Oscar McDonald, Skinner and Marsh appeal?

I'm not sure what role Scott will cover for us but we've clearly seen enough that we thought he will be an option for some senior games
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Maybe literally, Adelaide to Melbourne is about 10 hours by car.

Hartigan sucks. If we picked him up I would’ve been furious.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -