Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Anthony Scott

How have we descended into such hysteria after one scratch match that Hartigan is a viable option!

2. Likes jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pre season jitters. Bring on the real stuff.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How have we descended into such hysteria after one scratch match that Hartigan is a viable option!
    That and the entirety of season 2020.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That and the entirety of season 2020.
    I'm honestly more concerned with our high press than our ability to tackle the sprinkling of monster forwards that are in the AFL nowadays.
    Those goals over the back...
    I feel everyone's anxiety I just think we need more data this year.

6. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hartigan would have been a good pick up. Definitely no world beater but he’s a big body and would give us coverage. Cost peanuts, too.
    I'd rather throw a big tackle bag inside D50 and hope one of their forwards trip over it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'd rather throw a big tackle bag inside D50 and hope one of their forwards trip over it.
    Given the way our defence structured up at times last year, that might just work.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Scotty. He sure has fought for this opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Scott! High-octane job on hold as Dog's fairytale continues

FROM a season without football to being given a training trial, winning a place on the Western Bulldogs' list and then becoming a senior regular, this year has been a whirlwind ride for Anthony Scott.

And now the 26-year-old Bulldog can add a two-year contract extension to his list of achievements, with the versatile member of Luke Beveridge's side locked in at the kennel until the end of 2023.

Scott was a member of Footscray's VFL program before winning a spot on the Dogs' list via the pre-season supplemental period after an impressive block of training, as the Bulldogs warded off late interest from Essendon.

It kickstarted a run that has seen him play 18 games, including a couple as the medical substitute, for the top-of-the-ladder Bulldogs. After last year's COVID-19 wipeout of football in Victoria at lower levels, Scott has been a low-key but no less valuable recruit for the Bulldogs as they set the bar for flag contenders.

"It's been an amazing year, definitely the best year of my life thus far. With the uncertainty that last year brought in terms of footy where I didn’t actually play a game for points the whole year and then to get an opportunity with the Dogs at the start of this year and to work my way onto the list and to be now sitting where we are is pretty special," Scott told AFL.com.au.

"It's definitely reward for so much hard work that I've put in, not just this year but the last five, six, seven years through playing in the VFL and a bit of amateurs footy as well. But to have two years in front of me now at an AFL club fills me with a lot of confidence and personal belief. I think it's going to give me the opportunity to flourish even more."

Scott's emergence might have surprised some, but not himself. After he had been invited to train with the Bulldogs' AFL squad, but before he had actually started, he had set his sights on facing the Magpies in round one this season, a goal he clocked three months on.

"I was with a group of mates and we were going through a few New Year's resolutions and I said 'Collingwood, round one'. I got laughed out of the room a little bit. It was a semi-joke but I had pretty high aspirations and I always have for myself so I thought with the ability I’ve got, if I put the work in, I could be a chance to play," he said.

"I didn't really know how much of a chance I'd be at the start of pre-season but I just kept ticking the boxes as we went along through pre-season."

Having been a member of the VFL program, Scott assimilated quickly into the Dogs’ mix and has been a versatile option for Beveridge, who has used him across half-forward, half-back and most places in between.

"For me locking down a permanent position still remains to be seen as to where I’m best suited but I’m just happy to show up anywhere on the field and do what’s required," Scott said.

Scott's new deal has also meant he will have to put off a return to the finance world. He had been working with Telstra as a treasury analyst prior to joining the Dogs and continued to do one day a week remotely in his first two months of training at Whitten Oval before he had signed on as a pre-season rookie.

"Once I signed in February I was able to take a career break which I think was 12 months at that stage, so I might have to extend that out a bit further if we can. Telstra's been awesome even though I haven't been there at all really this year. They've been checking in regularly and seeing how I'm going," he said.

"It was a pretty high-octane job when we were going. Foreign currency, a few bond deals, dealing with $100s of millions of dollars at a time and I was front of house so we were clicking execute on the deals so if you made a mistake it would end up being a pretty big one. But I do like footy a lot more so I'm happy with where I'm at."

LINK

11. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of a bugger to sign an extension and he may get dropped this week.

13. Likes Testekill, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Only we could add the contract extension to a dedicated thread.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Took some time to get up to speed but it's clear over his last month that he's up for it now and has become a bit of a Mr Fixit this year.

17. Likes Testekill, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to beat Axe to the punch and he got me by two minutes but in my defense I was adding pictures so my post looks prettier.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unheralded Dog cherishing his journey

ANTHONY Scott resigned last month. Twelve months after putting his career as a treasury analyst at Telstra on hold, Scott has been forced to part ways with the telecommunications giant. Not that he cares. His career in finance can wait; life in the AFL can't.

The 27-year-old had a life away from football in finance when Dogs list manager Sam Power and senior coach Luke Beveridge pulled the trigger on him during last year's pre-season supplemental selection period, swatting away late interest from Essendon to sign Footscray's 2019 best and fairest winner on the eve of the season.

Things have moved fast since then for someone who was playing for Old Trinity in the ammos at 23 only a few years ago and needed to be convinced by Western Bulldogs development manager Jamie Maddocks that it would be worth his time driving across the West Gate Bridge to play VFL again.

Scott made his debut in round one last season and played 21 of a possible 26 games – he was an emergency in the Grand Final – in a remarkable rise from anonymity to the big time that culminated with a two-year extension last August, adding four of five to start 2022 after overcoming an injury interrupted end to the pre-season.

It has taken time for Scott to realise just how different his life has panned out. He is no longer poring over numbers – big numbers with lots of zeroes – analysing foreign currency and bond deals. He is now a permanent part of Beveridge's best 22 and has just played his best game yet at AFL level in the Dogs' 68-point win over North Melbourne on Good Friday.

"I didn’t really get a chance at all throughout the whole year to reflect, but during the off-season it was good. I didn’t find out I was on the list until Feb last year and then round one was two weeks later. I ended up playing the first three or four months of the year. It all just happened so quickly and I was ticking one box after another," Scott told AFL.com.au.

"When we got to spend that time away [in Perth] for the Grand Final and then I got to stay interstate for a bit, I had a good break after the season it was good to finally catch up with family and friends, because we couldn’t even with COVID and everything.

"It was a special time and you realise how much your family and friends go along the journey with you; my dad, especially, I think he's enjoyed it more than I have potentially. It is good to just cherish the journey."

Beveridge has used Scott all over the ground to plug holes in his first 25 games. But it was a return to a wing for the first time this season that produced an equal career-high 17 disposals, eight score involvements, 387 metres gained and two goals in a sign of things to come with Jason Johannisen sidelined and Roarke Smith out of the side.

"I played a fair bit of wing across junior footy, under-18s and VFL, so it is a role that I know pretty well. I just made the most of the opportunity to be on the wing and I was pretty happy with how I went. Hopefully spend a bit more time there now," Scott said, who played junior footy with Jack Billings, Jack Sinclair, Jake Kelly, Luke McDonald and Will Hayes at the Kew Comets.

"I think if I can put in a performance like I have today, it will hold me in good stead on a wing week in, week out. We've had a few guys roll through that position. I played in the backline a couple of weeks ago against Sydney in the second half and spent time up forward, so I am happy to play wherever Bevo needs me. But I think wing suits me well."

Scott's head has taken a battering so far this year. He missed round one after fracturing his skull and eye socket when he was elbowed in the face by an unnamed ruckman at training six weeks before the season-opener, which required two plates to be inserted into his face, one on the side of his eye, the other in his cheekbone.

Last week he copped a blow to the head against Richmond and only played 40 per cent of the game after being left with blurred vision. The eye socket was in the clear and Scott was cleared of concussion protocols and able to face the Kangaroos at Marvel Stadium.

"I just got a knock and I've had it before – actually had it last year – where if I get a head knock in the wrong spot I get a bit of blurred vision. Last year it was classed as concussion. I passed all the protocols but they wouldn’t clear the blurred vision part," he said.

"So that in the future I wouldn’t have to be classed as concussion if I got the blurred visionwe saw a neurologist in the middle of last year and he was able to show that it was a migraine that caused the blurred vision and not actually a concussion, when I had that last week against Richmond."

Pre-season supplemental selection period signings have been in vogue to start 2022. Paddy McCartin, Patrick Naish and Jarrod Lienert have reignited AFL careers that appeared all but over. Jack Hayes has made the most of an opportunity that never looked like arriving and Nic Martin has already earned a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination after being overlooked in previous drafts.

Scott, who went from playing in the VAFA in 2018 to starring in the VFL in 2019 to the great unknown of no football in 2020 amid the pandemic, believes the ability to audition for a spot on a list helps those who have slipped through the cracks over time.

"It's an awesome thing that the AFL brought in because there are guys that have missed out for whatever reason, whether they were already on a list and unlucky with injury or just good local or VFL footballers who are on the cusp but just can't quite get a look in," he said.

"To get the chance to go train at an AFL club, if you can hack it with the best at the club then there is no reason why you shouldn’t be at a club no matter what age you are. It's a really good thing that the AFL has done."

The job at Telstra may no longer be on hold for Scott, but he is certainly making the most of his new day job.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Took some time to get up to speed but it's clear over his last month that he's up for it now and has become a bit of a Mr Fixit this year.
    I know this post was last year but I’m really impressed with his ability to go forward, back and now midfield in the space of one game.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

23. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I know this post was last year but I’m really impressed with his ability to go forward, back and now midfield in the space of one game.
    I quite liked his game on the wing. We'll see how he goes against better opposition now but the spot is his to lose.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers