Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL player salaries and the salary cap in 2021 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks this is an absolute grotesquery?

Am I the only one to think "grotesquery" is a word?

Edit: it's ok guys I looked it up - it's a word.
    That we're looking at and comparing people's salaries or that people get that amount of money for being good at sport?

Post Thanks / Like

Surely English is not getting that much

And I'm assuming Treloar is getting some of that from Collingwood
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Surely English is not getting that much

And I'm assuming Treloar is getting some of that from Collingwood
    Treloar is his total salary, of which approx 250-300k is being paid by Collingwood.

I'm surprised that Naughton and English are being paid so much, but I don't have any issues with those 7 being our highest paid 7. I would imagine Dunkley gets up into that range, with Libba deserving but unlikely to command it given his injury history.

I agree that the amounts are grotesque (full time teachers and nurses can be on less than 60k ffs) and that having all of them publicly listed is also pretty gross.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have the opinion that players should be on a set wage with increments for each year and set match payments and just be given team bonuses come finals time the further you go the more the team gets.
    This may cut down poaching and players would only leave if they weren't happy in their environment or chasing finals success.
    With the chance of less stars moving to power clubs may just see a more even competition.
    Although this could all fall through if Carlton pay the secretaries 15 times above the standard wage.
    Also to push this through maybe the AFL also puts up some sort of Superannuation scheme for players post footy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That we're looking at and comparing people's salaries or that people get that amount of money for being good at sport?
    tHAT WE'RE LOOKING AT IT. tHE afl IS A MONEY MAKING MACHINE SO I'M HAPPY FOR THE PLAYERS TO GET A SLICE OF THAT, I JUST FIND IT BEING DISCUSSED IN THE PUBLIC A BIT WEIRD.

Also apologies for shouting at you I didn't realise the caps lock was on and can't be bothered changing it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

$1,200,000 for JJ this year and next. Top 100 paid player in the league. Huge salary for an inconsistent forward pocket.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That Naughton figure cant be accurate. We signed him to a 4 year contract in April 2019. At that stage he was nothing more than a promising player.

Post Thanks / Like

tHAT WE'RE LOOKING AT IT. tHE afl IS A MONEY MAKING MACHINE SO I'M HAPPY FOR THE PLAYERS TO GET A SLICE OF THAT, I JUST FIND IT BEING DISCUSSED IN THE PUBLIC A BIT WEIRD.

Also apologies for shouting at you I didn't realise the caps lock was on and can't be bothered changing it.
    I'm ok with it. Sometimes I think the secrecy around salaries is for the benefit of employers to underpay people.

10. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    That Naughton figure cant be accurate. We signed him to a 4 year contract in April 2019. At that stage he was nothing more than a promising player.
    From memory, he had his rookie contract. Then we extended him. Then we extended him again not soon after. I assume we paid him a good chunk more to extend his contract. Looks like a bargain now, would be even better if he could kick straight.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What percentage do the managers take out of these salaries? Liam Pickering gloated how Tom Boyd paid for his pool.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that thinks this is an absolute grotesquery?

Am I the only one to think "grotesquery" is a word?

Edit: it's ok guys I looked it up - it's a word.
    Someone’s gotta get the money. I’d rather it be the players.

Now executives getting paid $3m for a job where you could actually do literally nothing except schedule the games? That’s grotesque.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    What percentage do the managers take out of these salaries? Liam Pickering gloated how Tom Boyd paid for his pool.
    According to a google search:

Typically agents won't charge a fee during a player's first season or if they are on a rookie contract. From their second year on a list, it's usually in the 2% to five per cent range on any football payments a player earns. In relation to any commercial or promotional activities, the typical rate is 20 per cent. (AFL players union)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    According to a google search:

Typically agents won't charge a fee during a player's first season or if they are on a rookie contract. From their second year on a list, it's usually in the 2% to five per cent range on any football payments a player earns. In relation to any commercial or promotional activities, the typical rate is 20 per cent. (AFL players union)
    OK, so between 10-25K for a $500K contract and 20-50K for a $1mil. It's not that much in the scheme of things. In the NFL there are rules preventing agents taking more than 3% and I think something similar in NBA.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Pickering lost money when Boyd retired and cancelled the remaining years of his contract...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I wonder if Pickering lost money when Boyd retired and cancelled the remaining years of his contract...
    Don’t they get paid or become a contractual payee based on the contract signing? Leaving aside commercial stuff on the side. Ricky Nixon used to have A LOT of players traded which some speculated was for this reason. He made a killing signing and then trying to trade Andrejs Everitt almost every year across three clubs.