Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coaches and club out of excuses ahead of 2021 season

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Without jumping to my own defense, I generally deal with 'understandable losses' as well as anyone. But I am 100% over effort based losses.

What did I want to see? Some of the words we have heard over the past two off-seasons about how we have learned from our poor finals performances and are 'desperate' to make sure it doesn't happen again actually put into action.

I'm looking for effort I guess. I'm looking for a team that has set a high internal standard for transition defending and holds one-another to account. I'm looking for a team that shows they understand the areas where they need to be better and are 'being better'.

I'm not concerned about the new players or personnel right now. I want to see an improved attitude...I want to be convinced that with 'this team' the round 1 disaster from last year wont be repeated...I did not get that vibe.
    MJP, you speak for all of us, we all want that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Without jumping to my own defense, I generally deal with 'understandable losses' as well as anyone. But I am 100% over effort based losses.

What did I want to see? Some of the words we have heard over the past two off-seasons about how we have learned from our poor finals performances and are 'desperate' to make sure it doesn't happen again actually put into action.

I'm looking for effort I guess. I'm looking for a team that has set a high internal standard for transition defending and holds one-another to account. I'm looking for a team that shows they understand the areas where they need to be better and are 'being better'.

I'm not concerned about the new players or personnel right now. I want to see an improved attitude...I want to be convinced that with 'this team' the round 1 disaster from last year wont be repeated...I did not get that vibe.
    I think we have seen enough examples in the last 2 years that when we aren't switched on we are a below average side. When we are switched on we are more than competitive with the best sides

This is why I want us to train and play every game with a high level of focus because I'm not convinced we are good enough to simply flick the switch on when it counts.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we have seen enough examples in the last 2 years that when we aren't switched on we are a below average side. When we are switched on we are more than competitive with the best sides

This is why I want us to train and play every game with a high level of focus because I'm not convinced we are good enough to simply flick the switch on when it counts.
    I've seen some argue (not here but else where) that Richmond lost their practice match to Melbourne so therefore it means little. Well, Richmond have the track record to suggest they can switch it on when it counts. We definitely do not.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Yep what was most disappointing with the 2020 season was that for 80% of the games you knew the final result within the first 10 minutes of the game. I don't see that happening with many other teams and it is all effort based.

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I've seen some argue (not here but else where) that Richmond lost their practice match to Melbourne so therefore it means little. Well, Richmond have the track record to suggest they can switch it on when it counts. We definitely do not.
    I wish we had earned the right to be compared with Richmond.

When the time comes to lay it on the line, they lay it on the line. And as a group they turn it over as much as any other side (he says without checking a single stat)...but the TEAM takes responsibility for an error (it is everyone's fault) and the TEAM fixes it.

I love this quote from Damian Lillard and think it sums up what is missing:

"I grew up that way," Lillard says. "Let's say we had to clean the house, and my job was to clean the kitchen. My brother is supposed to do the bathroom. My sister is supposed to clean the living room. If I do my job but that other stuff ain't done, then we didn't do it. That was my upbringing. We all go down together."

At the moment, we DON'T all go down together.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we had earned the right to be compared with Richmond.

When the time comes to lay it on the line, they lay it on the line. And as a group they turn it over as much as any other side (he says without checking a single stat)...but the TEAM takes responsibility for an error (it is everyone's fault) and the TEAM fixes it.

I love this quote from Damian Lillard and think it sums up what is missing:

"I grew up that way," Lillard says. "Let's say we had to clean the house, and my job was to clean the kitchen. My brother is supposed to do the bathroom. My sister is supposed to clean the living room. If I do my job but that other stuff ain't done, then we didn't do it. That was my upbringing. We all go down together."

At the moment, we DON'T all go down together.
    Richmond are fascinating because the same concerns we have with our side, Tigers fans were likely posting very similar things at the end of 2016. There was a transformation over that pre-season where the entire group somehow bought into the effort required to go to the next level which I still struggle to understand.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Richmond are fascinating because the same concerns we have with our side, Tigers fans were likely posting very similar things at the end of 2016. There was a transformation over that pre-season where the entire group somehow bought into the effort required to go to the next level which I still struggle to understand.
    I remember vividly their last game of 2016 v the Swans at the SCG. They were absolutely pathetic. No effort, looked like the entire team hated each other. Down by 14 goals at half time, 20 at three quarter time.

The wolves were at the door big time. There was a massive takeover push from the "Focus on Footy" group that off season which included ex player Bryan Wood amongst others. From memory they wanted to remove all the assistants and keep Hardwick which may have eventually happened as part of an agreement with the incumbent board.

They were in disarray. How they turned it around is an incredible story. Still hard to believe really.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...620160827.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I remember vividly their last game of 2016 v the Swans at the SCG. They were absolutely pathetic. No effort, looked like the entire team hated each other. Down by 14 goals at half time, 20 at three quarter time.

The wolves were at the door big time. There was a massive takeover push from the "Focus on Footy" group that off season which included ex player Bryan Wood amongst others. From memory they wanted to remove all the assistants and keep Hardwick which may have eventually happened as part of an agreement with the incumbent board.

They were in disarray. How they turned it around is an incredible story. Still hard to believe really.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...620160827.html
    It is all about team work, not individual performances, but a team just doesn't get created overnight when the players all come together. Richmond took a number of years for the team to gel together and now the core has stuck together and they work well.

In our case we have changed a lot since 2016, with over 12 premiership players gone and lots of new players coming in. (refer Jeemak on the mini rebuild).

We have to start working as a team, as we have now had a couple of seasons with the core sticking together, but we have also had a huge influx of KPP who are still fitting in (Bruce, Keath, Gardner, Martin).

Lots of players have now grown up and they need to contribute. I am confident they will, and we will have a good season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This article has Bevo as the fourth most under pressure coach heading into season 2021.

PRESSURE GAUGE: How much heat is your coach under?

Mitch Cleary puts a glaring spotlight on your club's coach

ONLY two coaches enter 2021 without a contract for next season.

But where do they rank compared to their rivals in this year's pressure gauge?

AFL.com.au reporter Mitch Cleary puts the microscope on your club's boss and ranks them from 18-1 on a pressure gauge.

4. Luke Beveridge – Western Bulldogs
    Pass mark: Winning a final
    Started at the Bulldogs: 2015. Contract: 2023
    Record: 74 wins, 60 losses. Finals: Four wins and three losses (one premiership from one Grand Final).
    We say: Has now gone four seasons without winning a final since the breakthrough 2016 premiership and there's no excuses this year. Beveridge has the most stacked midfield in the competition and the best new kid in the country to go with readymade recruits Adam Treloar, Stefan Martin and Mitch Hannan. The Dogs' age profile suggests they won't be falling away anytime soon but their winless finals run simply can't extend into a fifth year.

12. Likes azabob liked this post