Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  153
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Just a few notes on things I observed today.

First half we were slow on the release hands and just clumsy ball use on turnover created all of their scores. Looked like we were second guessing ourselves and tripping over each others feet when we had the ball on the rebound. We must have blown 3-4 rebound opportunities in open field with small errors.

Ball getting over the back of contests time and time again. Our interceptors are already behind most of the comp so when we go if we don't mark it we need to make sure the ball comes forward or even side ways. It gets over the back far too often for us and was resposnsible for some of our goals.

We smashed them around the ball but when Melbourne did win it they walked through us especially in the first half. They were able to link handballs and seem to get players forward of the ball.

Ball use going inside 50 looked a bit off. Seemed to get better as the game went on but we kicked long too much early I thought. I also think we looked a bit rushed when we took a mark around the 50, nothing wrong with holding the ball and letting something develop with the new rule because you can either punch a low kick or crib 10 metres to create a shot.

Tackling was very good at times I thought. You really have to nail your tackles with the new rules, if you have a chance to turn the ball back your way or create a spill you need to take it.

If the holding the ball rule is adjudicated like that all year we will butcher some sides inside. It looked like they are giving team a bit longer on the ball which allows our guys to wrestle control and feed it out.

Seemed to be a real mix of players going through different roles but we have scope to do even more of that. We had Lipinski inside and out, Hunter in 2-3 roles, some players seem to disappear for long periods. With the 75 interchange are we going to try and run players through different posiitons and out last sides for sheer numbers we can put through positions? Its too early to tell where the opportunities are with the rule but it wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at it.

We felt way too big with 3 talls but it looks like we will persist with it. When Naughton went off Keath went forward so that indicates that we want to stick with it. Will help if we fix or improve connection issues to elmimate getting burnt on the way out, have to mark the ball when we use 3 talls and Wallis though. Wouldn't underestimate the impact Melbournes two pillars had on our performance either, May was awesome last year and Lever was getting better as the year went on.

Wallis- Very quiet and I can hardly remember seeing him as a leading target for the kicker. I hope he doesn't try to be too unselfish in his new role. Tried hard and seem to get a bit cleaner around the ball as it went on.

Bont- Best ball use game for a long time, cant ask for much more than that. Seemed to keep his feet more as well. Was expecting him to have more forward time.

Dunkley- Went under the radar but thought he was very good. Strong inside, great starting positions and body work around the stoppages especially on the defensive side of the stoppage. Bit rusty early but worked into it well and really got hold of them around the ball.

Smith- Tried hard but was a bit messy with the ball. Some of the handballs were really poor just trying to keep the ball in motion.

Hunter- Very interesting game, used forward mostly where I think he is dangerous. He has clever ball use, closes exits quickly, can pressure and creates shots on goal (himself and others) BUT....he needs to either kick the goals himself or hit those short targets or its not worth what we lose in other spots.

Martin- Impressed with his centre bounce work, I went back and watched most of his games from last year and 2019 and he rarely played that well at the bounces against the very best. His boundary work is never in question he finds front spot most times. English has to play reagrdless so in my view it is just a matter of how many tall forwards we carry. Martin should ruck most of the game when fit but we will need to rest him at times during the year.

Crozier- Thought he was good but thought it was a bit of the same old for us in the intercepting roles. As brave as he is too often he flies and we don't mark it or control it. It is something the top 4-5 sides do much better than us over the last few years and something I will watch closely. I hesitate to criticise him because his selflessness and effort is something we need, it is more a comment of comparison to the players in those roles at other clubs.

Macrae- Very good, used it well, got forward of the ball well too.

Bruce- Looked much better once Naughton went off but still struggling with timing of his leads. Seemed to be trying to draw it deep and out the back early but it wasn't syncing with the kickers. Will come under pressure if Naughton is fit and playing forward. I think English is a lock for forward.

Gardiner- Solid game in my view, rarely got beaten one on one and the goals he conceded were mostly out the back. Defended and spoiled with intent on the high ball.

Williams- Biggest highlight for me. I wasn't as happy with him last year as others because I thought his defensive efforts were lacking which we can't have as a medium defender. He won 1 on 1s nearly every time, still used it well and positioned really well to intercept. My concern with him is match ups, ALWAYS struggles when he ends up on the best opposition small/medium eg: Martin, Petracca.

Dale- Looks good on paper today having 2 goals from half back but his errors cost us some scores. Its the duck of the head as he appraoches a crucial ground ball, missed tackles that always stand out with him for me. Understand why we play him in other roles because I am not sure he can play forward with Wallis and 3 talls. He definitely cant play out of the square which is his most effective position. Left his man well a few times which I thought showed some buy in to the role.

Lipinski- Looked very good inside even though he was often playing on a wing. When he got the ball out of stoppages he was able to take away cleanly and use it really well. Can he push someone else out of the midfield and give us more flexibility?

English- Obviously struggled a few times under the high ball when May moved him but when he is moving he is a major issue for opposiiton defenders. Needs to convert his opportunities. Feels like he and Bruce are able to stay out of each others way but Bruce and Naughton are not.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dog Town, good summary
    Last edited by bornadog; 08-03-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard Naughton is fine.

4. Thanks jeemak, Doc26, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Have heard Naughton is fine.
    Saying he has a corked arm.

Reporting that Crozier will miss round 1 with an AC.. no word on the extent of the injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Being at the game and sitting closer to ground level than usual I was in awe of Liberatore's hands. Has there ever been a better contested distributor?

Happy with the intensity. Melbourne were very dissapointing but lacked most of their midfield (Brayshaw, Viney, Oliver) so expect that was around a par performance for us.
    Dunkley was superb. And that guy number 4 I think he is, goes all right.
    Very impressed with Scott, and McNeil just start working on the statue.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just great to be back at the footy today. Great hitout by us to get us ready for the real stuff in 2 weeks.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

8. Likes GVGjr, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Just having read the thread from the start of the game I'm a little bit surprised by the despair from posters in the first half, but at the same time I kind of get it because when the game is in the balance and we're not taking our opportunities it can seem pretty dire - especially when we let three straight through due to a lapse in concentration.

Was good to be at the footy again. I'm not expecting perfect or anything close to it this year, rather, just a side that is honest with its effort each week because if we are we'll be in the hunt most games.
    Fair call - we are who we are. The out the back stuff is going to happen.

I guess the frustration comes out of a - have we addressed any of our key issues? We have with the ruck and we're already seeing benefits from it, why not in other areas?

B - the other question is do we think we can contend, or should be contending? I'd like us to, by this stage I expected us to be contending, but with our current flaws I don't think we can.

It's going to be an interesting year for us.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive my I ignorance but what is a hip pointer? Vandemeer has one reportedly

11. Thanks Threedogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Forgive my I ignorance but what is a hip pointer? Vandemeer has one reportedly
    Corkie type injury to the hip.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Thanks Threedogs thanked for this post
    Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some photos I took of my return to the footy at Marvel Stadium today:

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I guess the frustration comes out of a - have we addressed any of our key issues? We have with the ruck and we're already seeing benefits from it, why not in other areas?

B - the other question is do we think we can contend, or should be contending? I'd like us to, by this stage I expected us to be contending, but with our current flaws I don't think we can.

The first half was complete dross. Over possession, diabolical forward entries, easy transitions from our forward 50. I'm glad we were able to right the ship after half time off the back of Bont going supernova and our mature mids completely dominating a VFL level midfield (outside Gawn and Petracca) but that first half showed that we are too deficient in too many phases of the game.

Like the past few years, we'll beat up the Kangaroos and Crows, and likely be found wanting when we face the really good teams.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Just a few notes on things I observed today.

First half we were slow on the release hands and just clumsy ball use on turnover created all of their scores. Looked like we were second guessing ourselves and tripping over each others feet when we had the ball on the rebound. We must have blown 3-4 rebound opportunities in open field with small errors.

Ball getting over the back of contests time and time again. Our interceptors are already behind most of the comp so when we go if we don't mark it we need to make sure the ball comes forward or even side ways. It gets over the back far too often for us and was resposnsible for some of our goals.

We smashed them around the ball but when Melbourne did win it they walked through us especially in the first half. They were able to link handballs and seem to get players forward of the ball.

Ball use going inside 50 looked a bit off. Seemed to get better as the game went on but we kicked long too much early I thought. I also think we looked a bit rushed when we took a mark around the 50, nothing wrong with holding the ball and letting something develop with the new rule because you can either punch a low kick or crib 10 metres to create a shot.

Tackling was very good at times I thought. You really have to nail your tackles with the new rules, if you have a chance to turn the ball back your way or create a spill you need to take it.

If the holding the ball rule is adjudicated like that all year we will butcher some sides inside. It looked like they are giving team a bit longer on the ball which allows our guys to wrestle control and feed it out.

Seemed to be a real mix of players going through different roles but we have scope to do even more of that. We had Lipinski inside and out, Hunter in 2-3 roles, some players seem to disappear for long periods. With the 75 interchange are we going to try and run players through different posiitons and out last sides for sheer numbers we can put through positions? Its too early to tell where the opportunities are with the rule but it wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at it.

We felt way too big with 3 talls but it looks like we will persist with it. When Naughton went off Keath went forward so that indicates that we want to stick with it. Will help if we fix or improve connection issues to elmimate getting burnt on the way out, have to mark the ball when we use 3 talls and Wallis though. Wouldn't underestimate the impact Melbournes two pillars had on our performance either, May was awesome last year and Lever was getting better as the year went on.

Wallis- Very quiet and I can hardly remember seeing him as a leading target for the kicker. I hope he doesn't try to be too unselfish in his new role. Tried hard and seem to get a bit cleaner around the ball as it went on.

Bont- Best ball use game for a long time, cant ask for much more than that. Seemed to keep his feet more as well. Was expecting him to have more forward time.

Dunkley- Went under the radar but thought he was very good. Strong inside, great starting positions and body work around the stoppages especially on the defensive side of the stoppage. Bit rusty early but worked into it well and really got hold of them around the ball.

Smith- Tried hard but was a bit messy with the ball. Some of the handballs were really poor just trying to keep the ball in motion.

Hunter- Very interesting game, used forward mostly where I think he is dangerous. He has clever ball use, closes exits quickly, can pressure and creates shots on goal (himself and others) BUT....he needs to either kick the goals himself or hit those short targets or its not worth what we lose in other spots.

Martin- Impressed with his centre bounce work, I went back and watched most of his games from last year and 2019 and he rarely played that well at the bounces against the very best. His boundary work is never in question he finds front spot most times. English has to play reagrdless so in my view it is just a matter of how many tall forwards we carry. Martin should ruck most of the game when fit but we will need to rest him at times during the year.

Crozier- Thought he was good but thought it was a bit of the same old for us in the intercepting roles. As brave as he is too often he flies and we don't mark it or control it. It is something the top 4-5 sides do much better than us over the last few years and something I will watch closely. I hesitate to criticise him because his selflessness and effort is something we need, it is more a comment of comparison to the players in those roles at other clubs.

Macrae- Very good, used it well, got forward of the ball well too.

Bruce- Looked much better once Naughton went off but still struggling with timing of his leads. Seemed to be trying to draw it deep and out the back early but it wasn't syncing with the kickers. Will come under pressure if Naughton is fit and playing forward. I think English is a lock for forward.

Gardiner- Solid game in my view, rarely got beaten one on one and the goals he conceded were mostly out the back. Defended and spoiled with intent on the high ball.

Williams- Biggest highlight for me. I wasn't as happy with him last year as others because I thought his defensive efforts were lacking which we can't have as a medium defender. He won 1 on 1s nearly every time, still used it well and positioned really well to intercept. My concern with him is match ups, ALWAYS struggles when he ends up on the best opposition small/medium eg: Martin, Petracca.

Dale- Looks good on paper today having 2 goals from half back but his errors cost us some scores. Its the duck of the head as he appraoches a crucial ground ball, missed tackles that always stand out with him for me. Understand why we play him in other roles because I am not sure he can play forward with Wallis and 3 talls. He definitely cant play out of the square which is his most effective position. Left his man well a few times which I thought showed some buy in to the role.

Lipinski- Looked very good inside even though he was often playing on a wing. When he got the ball out of stoppages he was able to take away cleanly and use it really well. Can he push someone else out of the midfield and give us more flexibility?

English- Obviously struggled a few times under the high ball when May moved him but when he is moving he is a major issue for opposiiton defenders. Needs to convert his opportunities. Feels like he and Bruce are able to stay out of each others way but Bruce and Naughton are not.
    Do you think you could expand on this Dog town?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Honestly I have no idea whether we have gotten the balance between coaching/ development versus bringing in other players to address our weaknesses outside of the ruck right, but think this is the year where we should be able to tell whether we have.

To your second question it's easy to say we should be contending, but every time someone does they follow it up with a shopping list or myriad reasons why we shouldn't be......lack of desire/ accountability, shaky defence, poor forward of centre system and delivery to the forward line, a lack of small pressure forwards and too many similar players running through the middle. If all of these are issues, and our coaching/ development path hasn't made up the ground required in lieu of not having heavily recruited to to do so, then we probably shouldn't be considered contenders.

But, if our faith in our coaching/ development is well placed and we do improve as an emerging list then things might change.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is clear from this game that Stefan Martin makes us a better team, however English is showing no real sign of being the ruckman we (I) am hoping for.

Caleb Daniel looks even better and that is certainly a good prospect.

Lipinski was encouraging.

We certainly looked better after half time, but Melbourne were well below strength.

My concern is that our ball movement was substandard and we do not help our forward line be efficient.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

22. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hearing Melbourne wasn't at full strength a bit, and that's fair enough. Nor were we, but you'd argue they weren't more than we weren't.

So what was the pass mark if not 6-7 goals for today? We lost a couple of players throughout, I think they did too. Did we achieve a pass mark?

You can only beat or lose to whoever is put in front of you, I think today we comprehensively beat Melbourne albeit looked a bit ordinary with our conversion in the first half - allowing them to kick a few on the back of that in conjunction with a loss of concentration.

If I compare that to how some preseason games have gone in the past I'm pretty happy. As another poster pointed out they have excellent/ elite defenders in May and Leaver, and we managed to find a way to score around them. They also have the best/ one of the best rucks in the comp.

We've set ourselves up well for a confident run into round one. I can't wait for the season to start!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

24. Likes ratsmac, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post