Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  153
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Forgive my I ignorance but what is a hip pointer?
    Shaun Higgins pointing to a stain on his team mate's shorts.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good effort boys. Bont as usual.
    Nathan Jones. I was kind of cheering for him. What a warrior! Been at it a while now. Through the dark days of Melbourne.
    Anyway glad we walked over them.
    Bruce's kicking is funny. Still not sure about him.
    Some good new faces.
    Bont is going for the Brownlow this year.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bont actually looked fit which is exciting. He was running freely and able to hit top pace. He and Dunkley work so well together in the midfield.

Overuse of handball was extremely frustrating. There was a passage on halfback, halfway through the last, where there was an option to kick 40m to Bazlenka in the clear on the wing - it would have been the classic play which happens against us all the time. Instead we chained together four handballs (Macrae, Hunter, and kicked long to a contest. Frustrating.

McNeill was fine but Cavarra was better. Scott was good but Duryea is better. Khamis was great across the two games, I think he will find himself playing sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know how you couldn’t leave that game feeling encouraged. Despite their two best players both being key defenders and playing very good games, we were still able to generate 30 scoring shots and looked like scoring with every entry in the second half. Conversely, Melbourne’s entries were generally miserable and I think we had to have played some role in that, their total lack of key targets or any player of ability up front notwithstanding (lol suck it Dees).

Good to see Bont has put aside his scratch match performance which I’m sure he was devastated by and looks to have picked up where he left off after the bye last year as the best player in the league.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Bont actually looked fit which is exciting. He was running freely and able to hit top pace. He and Dunkley work so well together in the midfield.

Overuse of handball was extremely frustrating. There was a passage on halfback, halfway through the last, where there was an option to kick 40m to Bazlenka in the clear on the wing - it would have been the classic play which happens against us all the time. Instead we chained together four handballs (Macrae, Hunter, and kicked long to a contest. Frustrating.

McNeill was fine but Cavarra was better. Scott was good but Duryea is better. Khamis was great across the two games, I think he will find himself playing sooner rather than later.
    The depth in his kicking was really noticeable as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The depth in his kicking was really noticeable as well
    Best kick in the world.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Treloar get a kick

Jack Macrae: 39 disposals
    Caleb Daniel: 34 disposals
    Marcus Bontempelli: 32 disposals
    Josh Dunkley: 32 disposals
    Tom Liberatore: 31 disposals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are very close to the mark because it would be hard to drop McNeil but is he any better than 50/50 for round 1?
    I read that Wood will play in a VFL game so that will shape the back line and it will be a nervous wait to hear about Vandermeer, Naughton and Crozier but we have plenty of depth. I also think the club has a but of faith that Treloar will be available

Competition for spots is a great thing
    A mature ageder who had to bust a chance just get his toenail onto the rookie list?
    VDM probably won't be risked and McNeill has genuine paces. Plus he tackles.

Scott, Bedendo, Khamis would be the first guys out I'd imagine depending on injury. Even Scott's a sneaky chance to play, although I suspect Wood gets up for Crozier then JJ and Treloar are named.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm hearing Melbourne wasn't at full strength a bit, and that's fair enough. Nor were we, but you'd argue they weren't more than we weren't.

So what was the pass mark if not 6-7 goals for today? We lost a couple of players throughout, I think they did too. Did we achieve a pass mark?
    I think it was around par, maybe a birdie to borrow Wallace's system. It was exactly what I wanted to see, my biggest concern was conversion in the first half but we corrected, and the injuries.

Melbourne were missing a few from their best team notably :

Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Weideman, Melskham, Salem, Hibberd, Ben Brown.

So any analysis has to bear this in mind. We had some outs too of course but think Melbourne will be a very different prospect in the real season. Not sure about their depth though.

We've set ourselves up well for a confident run into round one. I can't wait for the season to start!
    Exactly my sentiments, bring it on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will Treloar get a kick

Jack Macrae: 39 disposals
    Caleb Daniel: 34 disposals
    Marcus Bontempelli: 32 disposals
    Josh Dunkley: 32 disposals
    Tom Liberatore: 31 disposals
    You are comparing him to midfielders, Bevo will play him off half back
    He will get more than that
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see the interview with Treloar after his VFL hitout? Said it was his first time across half back in who knows how long and is looking forward to seeing what plans Bevo has for him, as he isn't sure where he'll be playing yet. Always keep 'em guessing, Bevo
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Did you see the interview with Treloar after his VFL hitout? Said it was his first time across half back in who knows how long and is looking forward to seeing what plans Bevo has for him, as he isn't sure where he'll be playing yet. Always keep 'em guessing, Bevo
    If Treloar plays half back under the new rules he'll get 50 possies.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He had nearly 20 touches in a half too; we may break some possession records this season

Wearing number 5 in homage to Dunkley interested me. That bromance is certainly blossoming.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Smith play in the middle at all? I can't remember whether he did as I saw him mainly on the wing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Did Smith play in the middle at all? I can't remember whether he did as I saw him mainly on the wing.
    Wing suits him ok, imo. More running and kicking, less handballs (which he is surprisingly bad at).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.