Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  153
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Although May and Lever are good, we still had 31 shots with 64 inside 50s.
    Yep.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know how many shots on goal we had that were in play vs set shot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Are we honestly just better off putting Naughton down back? Solves our defensive woes but also doesn't make us that much worse up forward given he and Bruce just seem incapable of co-existing. Aside from a couple of games, he hasn't really dominated up forward. I know he's still developing his craft down there but with the addition of Bruce and English's forward development, perhaps Aaron is needed more down back right now.
    Yes.

I've said it for a while but our back half is probably the worst in the league. Naughton is a better defender than he is forward, despite the allure of him playing as a dominant forward. The reality is that Aaron needs space to run and jump but that rarely happens these days. Body on body, May predictably destroyed him yesterday.

The balance of our side needs Naughton to play KPD if we want to contend. If we just want a good highlights package at the end of the year, keep Aaron forward.

Schache gets judged too harshly IMO and should be playing.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    One of the big positives from yesterday was Lipinski. Looked quicker and stronger, and his kicking was a highlight. Reckon he has the potential to be a Mitch Duncan type for us, playing that roaming wing/half forward role. I have him locked into the round 1 side.
    I was REALLY critical of Lipinski last year. I thought he was awful.

Yesterday he was really impressive. He worked hard both ways, put himself in the defensive hole a few times and then got on the end of a few forward of the ball. Looks fitter and stronger, he's always had good skills. The question is his contested game/defensive pressure and tackling, but the signs were much more positive yesterday.

Perhaps the early concussion in 2020 effected him, but he looks set for a good year.
    W00F!

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yes.

I've said it for a while but our back half is probably the worst in the league.
    Is this based on observation or stats? Our defense is about mid range for goals against.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this based on observation or stats? Our defense is about mid range for goals against.
    Goals against is too basic a metric. More important/relevant would be goals per inside 50, or 1 on 1 contests lost, amount of intercept marks taken inside 50. I don't have those available to me right now, but based on the eye test, we wouldn't be anyway near the top teams.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Observation. Stats aren't a good indicator here, given a side might have an OK back half but poor midfield (ala Melbourne yesterday).

I can't think of too many defensive setups like ours who have an overabundance of half back flankers/defenders who really can't defend well.

Caleb is our best defender - not taking into account his attacking ability - which speaks volumes IMO.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it too early to begin fretting whether Naughts can avoid getting banged up so regularly?

But I digress ... selection experiments and pre-season rust aside, can someone who took in both contests against Hawthorn & Melbourne highlight areas of detectable improvement, without mentioning Stef Martin, on what we've trotted out over the last couple of seasons?

I have, and I can't.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Is it too early to begin fretting whether Naughts can avoid getting banged up so regularly?

But I digress ... selection experiments and pre-season rust aside, can someone who took in both contests against Hawthorn & Melbourne highlight areas of detectable improvement, without mentioning Stef Martin, on what we've trotted out over the last couple of seasons?

I have, and I can't.
    I'll don the cheerleader pom poms for a moment. I think two areas of incremental improvement will be from Bont rising even further this year (almost 900m gained yesterday suggests the extra space and time the new rules give you will suit him), Williams and Daniel from defensive 50 being even bigger weapons and our overall midfield dominance will be too much for about 8 sides so we should be able to bank 8 wins pretty comfortably. From there, I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski's game was terrific. Really robust attack on the footy and movement through traffic combined with genuinely hard running forward of the ball. Pretty complete performance from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Lipinski's game was terrific. Really robust attack on the footy and movement through traffic combined with genuinely hard running forward of the ball. Pretty complete performance from him.
    Its only one performance but I thought Lipinski and Dale were both very good

Lipinski seems to have the tank, and is classy with the ball in hand, and yesterday there was a more consistent physicality and defensive intent about his game

Dale played a more solid game also - seemed to have better physical intent about the defensive stuff and his kicking and finishing were good

McNeil had some great moments and seems to get front and square relatively well, but Anthony Scott probably had the more consistent game but in a different role - it really looks to be a classy left peg on him, and he kicked nicely on his right at times also

Undermanned Melbourne but a solid step for our group and it wasnt like we didnt have a few out and a few injuries during the game

Post Thanks / Like

Really think the increase in handball receives that the stationary man on the mark rule affords will help Macrae and Treloar get involved in possession chains (not that they needed help doing so but think they will both be considerably more damaging).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Als Highlights - about 20 min of the good bits

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks josie, Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Als Highlights - about 20 min of the good bits

Thanks for this. Some great foot skills on display. Caleb could put a ball on a 20cent bit.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The Smith to Lipinski pass was awesome, allowing Patrick to run onto the ball without breaking stride. Perfectly weighted.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

19. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post