Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  153
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Bruce would be horrible in defence. His lateral quickness is such a limiting factor and is the main reason why he can’t get to enough contests as a forward to be effective. In defence he’d be BBQ chicken.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can’t be the only one waiting for mjp to tell me if I should be encouraged by Monday’s performance or not...
    You should be! We were good! Clean up some of the finishing (I know) and thats a 10 goal win against an allegedly top 4 side (according to Simon Goodwin who is famously known for his good judgement).

Post Thanks / Like

If Bruce kicks two goals a week and gets involved with bringing the ball to ground and keeping it in the forward line, then job done.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Scraggers, Bulldog4life, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can’t be the only one waiting for mjp to tell me if I should be encouraged by Monday’s performance or not...
    I actually have no idea.

I was very happy to see we actually played with effort and energy but I feel I have seen this song played before. I am incredibly cynical about our group right now and bashing around a Melbourne midfield missing Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw was such a 'Bulldogs' thing to do (meaning the 2019/2020 versions of our club) that it really didn't give me a lot of joy.

Any match day thoughts by me right now are going to be pretty simple - are we working hard in transition, are we applying pressure post-contest...I honestly have no real interest right now on whether our defenders are up to it as individuals, what end of the ground Naughton plays or whether Josh Bruce has improved from last year or not...Effort and energy is all I care about because it has simply been too inconsistent over the past 2-3 years and I'm just sick of it.

An improved effort against Melbourne was great. But honestly, so what? I want to know if the players are prepared to do what it takes to be a good team rather than have their name listed in an article about how exciting our midfield is...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I actually have no idea.

I was very happy to see we actually played with effort and energy but I feel I have seen this song played before. I am incredibly cynical about our group right now and bashing around a Melbourne midfield missing Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw was such a 'Bulldogs' thing to do (meaning the 2019/2020 versions of our club) that it really didn't give me a lot of joy.

Any match day thoughts by me right now are going to be pretty simple - are we working hard in transition, are we applying pressure post-contest...I honestly have no real interest right now on whether our defenders are up to it as individuals, what end of the ground Naughton plays or whether Josh Bruce has improved from last year or not...Effort and energy is all I care about because it has simply been too inconsistent over the past 2-3 years and I'm just sick of it.

An improved effort against Melbourne was great. But honestly, so what? I want to know if the players are prepared to do what it takes to be a good team rather than have their name listed in an article about how exciting our midfield is...
    This is exactly how I felt after the game.

Sure, great win. But this outfit has been beating on average teams and then failing to deliver against anything close to a quality outfit. I can't imagine we'd have done too well if we were missing Bont, Macrae and Dunkley. I'm just not at all convinced much has changed so I'll have to wait a few more weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo’s AAMI series wrap

Senior coach Luke Beveridge shared his thoughts on some players who impressed in the Western Bulldogs’ 39-point AAMI Community Series win over Melbourne, during the post-match press conference.

Marcus Bontempelli

32 disposals (16 contested), seven clearances, nine inside-50s, three goals
    “His third quarter was instrumental in us getting the upper hand. We know he’s an outstanding player, and he’s an outstanding leader. He was down on himself a little bit after his performance (against Hawthorn) – he had a lot of the footy but just didn’t use it as well as he can. For him to come out and play as well as he did was important for him and us leading into round one.”

Lachie McNeil

Eight disposals, three inside-50s, one goal
    “We saw what Lachie can do with his speed, he’s got good skills and he doesn’t mind a contest. He’s got a good menu of attributes. In his second game against AFL opposition, there were some encouraging moments for him.”

Buku Khamis

Six disposals, four marks
    “Buku had already played three quarters (in the VFL), so for him to come on and play a half like he did (was great). We sort of moved him into more of that key back post, and he didn’t put a foot wrong, so that’s important for us.”

Stef Martin + Tim English

Martin: 17 disposals, four marks, 14 hit-outs
    English: 17 disposals, seven marks, nine hit-outs, one goal
    “We were really pleased with the combination. Stefan spent a lot of minutes in the ruck – big Max Gawn probably got his hand on it a fair bit. The clearance differential was a landslide in our favour so our mids were able to deal with Stef’s strong contest and not be flipped around too much. It allowed Tim to play forward a little bit more – I thought Tim’s second half, he was a real threat down there. If he converted he might’ve had even more of an outstanding day. They were a good combination for us this afternoon.”

Bailey Smith

25 disposals, seven marks, one goal
    “As the game went on Bailey probably had 15 or so disposals in the second half – he probably didn’t use it as well as he usually does but he’ll open up some teams with his run. He’s elite in the way he can cover the ground, and on the outside he can make the most of that.”

Josh Dunkley

32 disposals (20 contested), 11 tackles, eight clearances
    “I thought Dunks was very good for us today- he impressed with some of the things he does extremely well. Dunks is a really critical part of our 22. As I have done in the past, I’ll continue to nurture both his and my relationship and his performance with the rest of our coaches. Josh has been an influential player for us, and like his teammates there’s still room to grow. That’s what we’re after with him – today is a really good step in the right direction for him. It gives him momentum into round one.”

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Happy Days, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    This is exactly how I felt after the game.

Sure, great win. But this outfit has been beating on average teams and then failing to deliver against anything close to a quality outfit. I can't imagine we'd have done too well if we were missing Bont, Macrae and Dunkley. I'm just not at all convinced much has changed so I'll have to wait a few more weeks.
    I'm not dissimilar. Given how consistently inconsistent we've been for the past few years, I think the time has passed for making any demonstrative statements about our pre-season performances either way.
    For me, any firm opinions about our progress one way or the other, are only going to come off the back of seeing us perform when it counts now.
    If we don't show we've made significant inroads as a group towards reaching our 'on paper' potential this year, then I would hope for nothing less than full pressure to be applied to players and coaches alike this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Bruce would be horrible in defence. His lateral quickness is such a limiting factor and is the main reason why he can’t get to enough contests as a forward to be effective. In defence he’d be BBQ chicken.
    Bruce needs to be one out with a crumber. Problem is this is almost impossible in today's game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I actually have no idea.

... and it's gradually losing its charm.

Melbourne are objectively awful, missing soldiers or not, but too many of their transitions from our forward half to theirs were familiarly quick and untroubled and turnovers in our forward half continue to be lethal, even against crap opposition. Feel free to extrapolate how that pans out against quality outfits with the firepower to kill a game in the span of one lazy quarter.

I'm expectantly looking for structural and systemic improvements, adjustments that suggest we've learnt the lessons of 2019/20 and will be better for it rather than trading on an enviable list, what often seems like wilful chaos and acts of individual brilliance to drag us further up the ladder. The Bont can't plonk us on his back every week.

Last season was weird, and maybe we'll piece it all together as 2021 unfolds but it still feels like we're missing the bones of what makes good teams resilient and hard to play against, with the durability and steel to push back when pushed.

I wanna howl down any media types pegging us for top-four because they plainly haven't watched us enough.

Assume Richmond, Brisbane, Port and Geelong have mortgages on those spots ... And our direct competition for the next four spots are coming, if not already here ... the Saints are clearly better. Carlton is better. Fremantle is bolting. The Suns will be better. And while the Eagles, Pies and Fluorescent F*ckheads loom as sliders they all still have legit designs on finals too.

So what can we engineer to split an increasingly large pack? Because the same old song's feeling pretty worn out.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    ... and it's gradually losing its charm.

Melbourne are objectively awful, missing soldiers or not, but too many of their transitions from our forward half to theirs were familiarly quick and untroubled and turnovers in our forward half continue to be lethal, even against crap opposition. Feel free to extrapolate how that pans out against quality outfits with the firepower to kill a game in the span of one lazy quarter.

I'm expectantly looking for structural and systemic improvements, adjustments that suggest we've learnt the lessons of 2019/20 and will be better for it rather than trading on an enviable list, what often seems like wilful chaos and acts of individual brilliance to drag us further up the ladder. The Bont can't plonk us on his back every week.

Last season was weird, and maybe we'll piece it all together as 2021 unfolds but it still feels like we're missing the bones of what makes good teams resilient and hard to play against, with the durability and steel to push back when pushed.

I wanna howl down any media types pegging us for top-four because they plainly haven't watched us enough.

Assume Richmond, Brisbane, Port and Geelong have mortgages on those spots ... And our direct competition for the next four spots are coming, if not already here ... the Saints are clearly better. Carlton is better. Fremantle is bolting. The Suns will be better. And while the Eagles, Pies and Fluorescent F*ckheads loom as sliders they all still have legit designs on finals too.

So what can we engineer to split an increasingly large pack? Because the same old song's feeling pretty worn out.
    Its always going to be a case of needing to be shown before you can believe it, but maybe we’re improving along the same lines without immense changes to our structure? There’s a ton of talent in this group and if there is a hardened edge (which is never going to be borne out in a pre-season game against the Melbourne mfn Demons) then who’s honestly putting us behind that pack (the Suns, come on cuz).

What could have been demonstrated against Melbourne that really would have dispelled any doubts, if a top to bottom performance with winners all over the ground, a (without checking) 20 scoring shot differential, complete and utter clearance domination and largely stifling defence isn’t doing it? Maybe if Libba summarily executed Jayden Hunt with his head over the ball?

We were underwhelming last year but lets not be scared of getting hurt again. There’s a ton of cause for optimism this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Much like some others, I'm not sure what to make of beating a Melbourne side that didn't have Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Brown and Salem. We probably did what I'd expect us to do.

My highlights were;

Buku's kick to English on the wing. Took the longer, riskier option and executed it perfectly and having 2 Melbourne defenders commit to English, it opened up the ground for us to score. Huge moment for him and grew in confidence for the rest of the game.

Bont and Macrae looked super.

Bailey Williams.

Concerns;

Defense. Still think our team defense and our one on one defending is not at the level of the top teams.
    Overuse of the ball in the first half particularly.

Post Thanks / Like

My post was pro Naughton forward. Bruce back was just an ‘in case of emergency, break glass, addendum.

However, the above argument against was also commonly applied to Roughead as a defender. Hmm...
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

(the Suns, come on cuz).
    I'm all for pissing on the AFEL's Frankenchildren but we fell over the line against them by less than a kick last time and they punished Brisbane's hubris for a half on the weekend until Fages read the riot act. They'll readily do the same to us if we pissfart around like the points are rightfully ours.

We were underwhelming last year but lets not be scared of getting hurt again. There’s a ton of cause for optimism this year.
    Oh indisputably. There's heaps to enthuse about but any excitement feels like cheap, unearned thrills if we end up getting dispatched come first week of finals again coupled with yet another off-season of shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I wanna believe, I mean who can stay mad at Bevo? But I'm increasingly wise to ending up the long-suffering cuck who subsists on the good and promises of "I'll change" only to have hopes and heart dashed once more by the same old stuff you chose to overlook in the process.

Hi everyone, my name's Rocket Science and I'm scared of getting hurt again.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Things are gonna be pretty bad if we trot out a similar rd 1 performance to last year. Same team again this year, one that we will be fighting with for a spot in the 8. We shouldn't accept anything but a win.

Post Thanks / Like

Calling Jeemak, your inbox is full.

20. Likes jeemak liked this post